NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Remington Actions

Custom clones are produced in a none production environment.
If it’s a company making an action to sell then it’s by definition production.

I understand what you’re trying to say but custom action manufacturers have lemons too. Just not the quantity that a huge factory like Remington has.

I'd say customs hold their value less than a factory or semi custom. I see custom rifles for sale for less than half of what the builder put in. Just because you like it doesn't mean everyone will. mtmuley
That is why I did nice copies of factory 700s with those PTG barreled actions. I watched my costs and with all the machining and with good parts I came in just a couple hundred over retail.

I agree most go off the deep end and there are deals to be had in the forums buying used.

I'd say customs hold their value less than a factory or semi custom. I see custom rifles for sale for less than half of what the builder put in. Just because you like it doesn't mean everyone will. mtmuley
Especially if they are for a non-standard cartridge such as a 6.5-06.

I've got well over $8k in this rifle, but I'll let it go for $6k. " I've just decided to go a different direction ".

You can't even get the parts for that much.

Ok, one more time, then it's off to gun broker.

This is final price reduction.

The obscure unobtanium brass is available for $1100.

Ok I'll throw in the brass and dies.

Somebody has to need a smoking deal on a bad ass rifle?

Anyone.......Bueler?

I've got well over $8k in this rifle, but I'll let it go for $6k. " I've just decided to go a different direction ".

You can't even get the parts for that much.

Ok, one more time, then it's off to gun broker.

This is final price reduction.

The obscure unobtanium brass is available for $1100.

Ok I'll throw in the brass and dies.

Somebody has to need a smoking deal on a bad ass rifle?

Anyone.......Bueler?
I like making my poor man's rifles out shoot the big money customs. mtmuley

Truing a Remington action is a double edge sword. On one side, a Remington can be made to shoot just about as well as a custom action. There are hundreds of aftermarket items made for them. But it takes time for a smith to do all the work, and time is money.

The other side is, once you pay to have all the work done, you still have a Remington. They just don't have the value and market as a custom gun. If you can do the work yourself, it's worth it.
I’ve never trued a Remington 700 action and I’ve shot beside custom actions while never feeling disadvantaged and regularly beating plenty of custom actions.

Not only will you not get your money back if you ever resell a trued Remington action, but I’m not remotely convinced that it improves accuracy.

I like making my poor man's rifles out shoot the big money customs. mtmuley
Put a good barrel on a 700 and I’m not convinced there’s any disadvantage in a pure accuracy sense. Are there some disadvantages to a match shooter? Yes. Are they huge, or are they related to the potential best group the rifle can shoot? Not in my opinion.

Put a good barrel on a 700 and I’m not convinced there’s any disadvantage in a pure accuracy sense. Are there some disadvantages to a match shooter? Yes. Are they huge, or are they related to the potential best group the rifle can shoot? Not in my opinion.
Pawn shop 700 action

Used Hart barrel

Used hs stock

Ebay leupold

New timney

20190911_124607.jpg

4 shots

Accuracy is accuracy. The level of accuracy, and just as important consistency, is a personal value.

I’ve never trued a Remington 700 action and I’ve shot beside custom actions while never feeling disadvantaged and regularly beating plenty of custom actions.

Not only will you not get your money back if you ever resell a trued Remington action, but I’m not remotely convinced that it improves accuracy.
If it didn't then why do the custom makers take extra care in producing theirs. Did Remington use off the production line actions for their 40X rifles or measure them and use just the best off of the production line?

If it didn't then why do the custom makers take extra care in producing theirs. Did Remington use off the production line actions for their 40X rifles or measure them and use just the best off of the production line?
Because custom makers don’t make money by telling you to buy a Remington from Wal-Mart.

Below is a 100yds
group and 200yd group with 156 EOLs followed by two groups at 200yds with 130VLDs. Walmart 700 action. Krieger light Palma barrel. All shot the same day getting ready for a lope hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_9620.png
    IMG_9620.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9621.jpeg
    IMG_9621.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9622.jpeg
    IMG_9622.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9624.jpeg
    IMG_9624.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Next is from my HBR gun. Academy 700 action. Hart 15” twist light varmint barrel. I lost a lot of those targets in a move. I had complete matches saved. :(

Attachments

• IMG_9636.jpeg
    IMG_9636.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8644.jpeg
    IMG_8644.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
200 yards, 6BR, Academy 700 action, 14” twist fluted Lilja light varmint.

Followed by a ten shot group at 100yds from a 223AI. Pawn shop 700 action, rechambered factory Remington Varmint Special barrel.

I have, or at least had, quite a few targets from both of those guns that were at least as good.

Attachments

• IMG_9599.jpeg
    IMG_9599.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9602.jpeg
    IMG_9602.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
I’ve shot matches beside all manner of custom actions, and never felt like my action was incapable of shooting as accurately as anyone else’s. I’ve won club matches in HBR and F-TR shooting against custom actions. I never won a registered match, but I’ve placed well in registered matches beating guys that had custom actions. I bought a Meyer at one point, but ended up selling it because I didn’t feel like it was going to help me.

Are there some advantages to custom actions? Absolutely. Could they potentially even be of some utility in a match, or perhaps even hunting? Yes. Do I think that trueing up a Remington 700 is going to make a significant difference in accuracy potential? No. If it makes a difference, the difference is slight unless perhaps you have an unusually bad 700 action.

My OPINION is that if you want to use a 700 action, you shouldn’t spend any money having machine work done to it. My OPINION is that if you’re going to spend more money, you’d be better served by purchasing one of the better 700 clones, or some other custom action, but the reason isn’t that I believe the more expensive actions will outshoot a 700 by any large margin, if at all.

Unfortunately, the way that F-class matches are shot, you don’t get to save your targets, and you don’t really even get to see them to take a picture. At the time I didn’t have much access to a 500yd+ range, so what limited practice I did get, was mostly on gongs. No pics of groups from that rifle.

As for the 40X, no Remington did not simply grab random receivers off the line to build them. Even so, it’s my opinion that they shot so well because of the barrel and the machine work done to the barrel. Remington had one of the few working Pratt and Whitney single tooth rifling machines in existence, and when they couldn’t keep up, they used custom barrels. Remington hammer forged barrels never went on a 40X, and the barrel work was likely done by a better smith, using better methods, than the average barreled action on the assembly line.

Last edited:
Because custom makers don’t make money by telling you to buy a Remington from Wal-Mart.

Below is a 100yds
group and 200yd group with 156 EOLs followed by two groups at 200yds with 130VLDs. Walmart 700 action. Krieger light Palma barrel. All shot the same day getting ready for a lope hunt.

If their product wasn't better they likely wouldn't have been able to stay in business all this time. But there are some who will never believe that a Remington can be any good.

Remington are terrible if anyone wants to dispose of the junk I will happily pay scrap prices for them.

I would say there is a reason that most custom actions are a Remington clones. saying a trued Remington is the same prices as a custom are a little ways off its like 250 or less to true a Remington. I have bought plenty of 700 actions under 350 dollars

Last edited:
If their product wasn't better they likely wouldn't have been able to stay in business all this time. But there are some who will never believe that a Remington can be any good.
In most circumstances their “product” is TREMENDOUSLY better than buying an off the shelf Remington, and probably better than almost anything off the shelf. I’m only referring the action itself, and how necessary things like trying the face, squaring the threads, bushing the firing pin, sleeving the bolt, and other such machining operations included in “blueprinting”, and I’m only referencing them in terms of accuracy potential. I’m also excluding the occasional terrible action.

Back to their “product”. No one buys a Remington 700, disassembles it themselves, takes the action to a gunsmith to have it blueprinted, then re-assembles all of the original parts. Their “product” is not simply a blueprinted action. When you have a good gunsmith do an excellent job chambering and fitting a custom barrel from a good maker, and then you properly bed it and fit it to a quality stock, properly mount a good scope, use top reloading components, good dies, good reloading technique, and learn to shoot, then I’m not convinced that whether or not the gunsmith blueprinted the action is going to make a huge difference. There are the occasional actions that are pretty darn bad and which might require work.

I’m not at all saying that an off the shelf Remington is going to shoot great. Im also not saying that there aren’t significant advantages to custom actions other than pure accuracy potential. I’m simply saying that I’m not convinced that most 700 actions, the action itself, requires machining to get them to shoot with custom actions. Everything else has to be just as good as a custom benchrest rifle to get it to shoot like a custom benchrest rifle.

As far as off the shelf goes, I would only say that a 40X or a Sako Benchrest is really at that level out of the box.

Remington are terrible if anyone wants to dispose of the junk I will happily pay scrap prices for them.

I would say there is a reason that most custom actions are a Remington clones. saying a trued Remington is the same prices as a custom are a little ways off its like 250 or less to true a Remington. I have bought plenty of 700 actions under 350 dollars
I have made this offer before. As shitty as Remingtons are I have never had a taker. mtmuley

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back