Remington 721/30.06

idnative1948

Tooks dad's old aught six out tonight and looked at it again. In 2009 I borrowed it from him to give it a good *scrubbing* and couldn't get the bolt to to stay in so took it to a guy and ended up replacing whole trigger assembly because everything was so mucked up and most likely hadn't had a deep cleaning for years. Now that dad is gone I am a little concerned regarding the safety issue with these old guys. Have been reading up about it, but not sure. This thing shoots *lights out* even with a scope that all I can find says *Cheyenne* on it and is battered and beat to hell.

Can't/won't dump it so any ideas other than new glass?
Photos forthcoming as somebody before hacked the wood big time and he just never got around to do anything with it because it shot so well. I know it is a poor man's rifle, but I can't/won't part with it.

Take it out of the stock and give it a good wipe with Hoppe's #9 to clean off some of the crud. If there are any areas of light rust use the edge of a solid copper penny to scrape away at the rust, then keep wiping with solvent & back at it with the penny until you've got all the rust you can. Don't rub too hard or long at one spot. If a fragment of rust gets caught in the copper and you press too hard it will scratch the blueing. Hoosier Gunworks carries a lot of takeoff stocks which might be in better shape than yours if you're lucky enough to find one. Several other outfits carry some too. I just finished cleaning a recent purchase Persian Mauser carbine which looked like a real turd and upon completion all the metal work is 99% with only two 1/8" spots of rust under the wood line. Now if I can just find a good stock for it.
Whatever you do, keep it 'cause it was your dad's!

Take it out of the stock and give it a good wipe with Hoppe's #9 to clean off some of the crud. If there are any areas of light rust use the edge of a solid copper penny to scrape away at the rust, then keep wiping with solvent & back at it with the penny until you've got all the rust you can. Don't rub too hard or long at one spot. If a fragment of rust gets caught in the copper and you press too hard it will scratch the blueing. Hoosier Gunworks carries a lot of takeoff stocks which might be in better shape than yours if you're lucky enough to find one. Several other outfits carry some too. I just finished cleaning a recent purchase Persian Mauser carbine which looked like a real turd and upon completion all the metal work is 99% with only two 1/8" spots of rust under the wood line. Now if I can just find a good stock for it.
Whatever you do, keep it 'cause it was your dad's!

TH thank you! You always seen to be able to give guidance without judging the situation. Believe me, this stock is BUTT ugly as somebody attempted at doing a wiss pour job of inletting. I just want to make it right because he never got around to it other than shooting it.
As to your suggestions. It is squeeky clean now other that the wood and the scope on on it with no numbers, but only says Cheyenne an beat to HELL.

If you're looking for a decently inexpensive scope for it, I know where I can pick up a couple of new scopes,in the box for 50 bucks each. There is a 3x9 Bushnell Sportview which I think has a 32mm objective. The other is a Bushnell Banner 3x9 with 40mm objective. These are coming from an estate close out, not stolen. Haven't checked retail, but sure that it's considerably higher.
Let me know asap before they're gone.

I have a 721 '06 that I bought from my grandfather when I was 16. I hunted with it until I decided to make it a keepsake and replaced it. I don't shoot it much anymore but it is still one of my favorite guns. It was pretty well cared for and still very accurate with the iron sights. I have the original weaver scope that he put on it in 1951 but it has some moisture in the eyepiece. I would have no problem taking it out for a hunt but if I ever fell with it I wouldn't forgive myself.

My dad has a 721 06 that he's has for years. I took it a few years ago and had the stock refinished, and mounted a new Leupold 3-9X40 on it for Christmas. The thing shoots Rem 180gr Cor loks like crazy.

If you want to keep the original stock, you can used epoxy wood putty to reform the butchered areas and reshape with files and sand paper. Color and restain. I've saved a number of stocks and if your careful and take your time its extremely difficult to see the repairs.

To funny. A couple weeks ago I dug out my grandfathers 721 .'06 from under the bed. It wasn't pretty. A gun nut friend of mine jumped at the chance to scrub it up. He spent a bit of time on it. He was also getting rid of a bunch of scopes so I bought one for it. It shot great so far, will spend some more time with it. Thinking about a sling from Breaksrunner to top it off. More than likely it will go elk hunting this fall.

P1030042.jpg

You have a gem of a rifle!

I have my grandfathers 721 in 30-06, toppped with a fixed 4X Burris. I've repaired the stock a few times, glass bedded, and did some trigger work on it.

Its been used and abused by 4 generations now. If you piled up all the animals it's taken....it'd be a monster pile of four-leggeds.

About 10 years ago I had the urge to rebarrel, restock, but I just couldn't do it.

This rifle likes heavier bullets, 180-190 grain hornady....The throat is dark on it, showing that it's getting some barrel wear (likely from my brainless shooting prairie dogs with it until the barrel was burning hot). It doesn't shoot as well as it used to, but it's still acceptable to me.

Maybe someday I'll get the barrel rebored to 338-06 or 35 Whelen so the rifle will still appear original and not butchered up.

I believe the action of the 721 was developed solely by Remington engineers to aid in mass production.
It is a strong action.

I think you are correct I remember something about it being designed by most of the same guys that designed the 700.

I have shot a boatload of animals with the short action version (model 722 in .257 Roberts), it is the rifle just prior to the 700. There is a safety recall on the trigger to convert it to a model 700 safety, then you can unload the magazine in the safe position. Great rifle and should be passed on to the next generation.

Finally found my thumb drive. Pictures aren't great, but I sure don't like the inlay job somebody attempted and neither did dad. Any ideas? The glue squeeze out is what has me stumped or I would use some wood dye on the inlays. Also peeked under the slip-on pad and no butt plate. So limbsaver, or?
Dads721aught6002.jpg

Dads721aught6003.jpg

Dads721aught6001.jpg

Interesting inlay job I wonder if they were trying to cover damage. I don't have the steel but plate either. Mine has an old brown recoil pad that was on the gun when my grandfather bought it in 1949. He bought it from the original owner and it had never been fired. He figured he put less than 200 rounds through it before I got it. I heard about the trigger recall but I figure as little as I shoot it I will just keep it original.

If you're looking for a decently inexpensive scope for it, I know where I can pick up a couple of new scopes,in the box for 50 bucks each. There is a 3x9 Bushnell Sportview which I think has a 32mm objective. The other is a Bushnell Banner 3x9 with 40mm objective. These are coming from an estate close out, not stolen. Haven't checked retail, but sure that it's considerably higher.
Let me know asap before they're gone.

Thanks! I have a NIB Bushnell Banner BDC 3X9 that I received for a birthday present a couple years ago. Will most likely go on there for now.

I got my 721 when I was 13 or 14 and flat out love it. About 6 or so years ago I got an Abolt from my grandpa and set the 721 down.... I pick it up now and again and wonder why I'm shooting the Abolt...but its treating me well also....

I may set the 721 up for my daughter...she's got a 243 now, but I think this 06' would be good for her if she gets into elk hunting much...

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back