Rem. Model 700 issue

fredbear

Question for the 700 experts, I am shooting a couple year old model 700 in the 300 wsm, I am pretty sure it has the X-Mark Pro trigger on it, it is the Stainless barrell, synthetic stock. Well I shot a spike elk on saturday and luckilly the first shot took care of every operating organ in the animal, because I went for a follow up shot and it was like it was on safety the trigger wouldn't break. The safety was on fire but wouldn't move back to safety. In the excitment of it all I don't remember what actual got it back to safety I think I had to unload and pull the bolt out or something.

When I first bought the rifle brand new I had Yellowstone Gateway sports turn the trigger down to 2.5 to 3 lbs if I remember right. I don't know if that could have an effect or not. I have shot this gun a fair amount without issues until now but it makes me nervous to go deer hunting with it.

So is there a way that the recoil sets the safety internaly but not on the lever? Has you can tell I am not a gunsmith.

Thanks alot

I would say make sure it is super clean! Also make your you have the trigger you think you should have and that someone didn't swap you out! You never know now day's! Good luck with it!

I recently heard of Model 700 issues on the news. I found this post summarizing the story a bit. Kind of a wierd deal. My wife has a 700 30-06 and luckily has not experienced any issues to date. Still this makes me a bit nervous.

Remington Model 700 Rifle Implicated in Two Dozen Deaths, Investigation FindDate Published: Thursday, October 21st, 2010

The Remington Model 700 Rifle, one of the world’s most popular firearms, has been associated with 24 deaths and hundreds of injuries, according to an investigative report aired by CNBC. Internal Remington documents reviewed by the network indicate the gun maker has wrestled with Remington Model 700 Rifle safety concerns for 60 years.

A series of lawsuits filed against Remington claim the Model 700 has a dangerous propensity to fire without a trigger pull. Such lawsuits allege that the rifle’s trigger mechanism, known as the “Walker Fire Control,” is defective.

According to documents obtained by CNBC, on at least two occasions, the company considered – and then decided against – a modification of the original trigger design intended to eliminate inadvertent discharges. The company’s own calculations show that one of the fixes considered would have cost a mere 5.5 cents per gun.

For its part, Remington maintains that the deaths and injuries involving the Model 700 have been the result of improper modifications, poor maintenance or unsafe handling. That defense has helped the company win some lawsuits. However, as we’ve reported previously, the company has also paid out about $20 million to settle such lawsuits out-of-court.

One lawsuit, filed on by the family of a 9-year-old Montana boy who died in 2000 when a Remington 700 rifle inadvertently discharged, resulted in a settlement by which Remington agreed to modify certain older 700 rifles for a fee of $20, CNBC said. But the company has never issued a full recall for the firearm.

Apparently, even if the Model 700 is proven beyond a doubt to be defective, there is no way any government agency can force Remington to issue a recall, CNBC said. A federal law, passed in 1976 and upheld repeatedly in court, specifically bars the government from setting safety standards for guns, because of the Second Amendment. As a result, the gun industry is left to police itself.

At least two class action lawsuits currently pending are attempting to force Remington to recall the Model 700.

The old style trigger in question is grooved on the front surface, the new style is smooth. The safety issue sounds like a trip to a good gun doctor.

Yep I remember that, mine is definently smooth, love the trigger, turned down, I think I will clean it and have the gun smith that I work with take a look at it.

Watched the CNBC piece between Favre's interceptions last night. Wow. I heard rumors about the Model 700 and had no idea how deep of a story it really is.

They even interview the original trigger engineer Mike Walker. He's in his late 90's. Crazy.

About the Show: The Remington Model 700-series rifle —with more than five million sold—is one of the world’s most popular firearms. Famous for its accuracy, the rifle is now the target of a series of lawsuits alleging that it is unsafe and susceptible to firing without pulling the trigger. Remington insists its rifle is safe, trusted, and reliable, though a trail of death and serious injury dating back decades has prompted critics to ask whether this iconic American company has compromised safety in the name of profits, and gone too far in trying to protect its signature product. Senior Correspondent Scott Cohn’s report is the result of a 10-month CNBC investigation.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39554936/

Remington had known about the "trigger" problem for years and did nothing about it. I think they did change the design about 2007. I had a Remington slam fire on me back in the late sixties when I shot competively and found through conversation (no internet in the old days) that it was happening to others. Haven't owned a Remington since. I believe the X-Mark does have the safety block to prevent firing without a trigger pull.

I'm guessing the trigger was 'over adjusted'...

Its sad that so many people have been killed, however, they were killed because someone was pointing the muzzle at them. Can't really blame the rifle for opperator error can you?

For those of you who haven't been around for awhile. CBS, NBC, MSNBC, etc are very, very, anti-gun, as well as anti-hunting so my first inclination is to disregard their so-called story altogether as it's most likely just another chop job in the works on guns and hunting. Should you not believe me, then believe the Guns of Autumn that got CBS smacked smartly via a substantial lawsuit. The major media outlets, minus Fox, are proven Inveterate liars and manipulator of situations as well as the truth to reach their goals of removing your guns and hunting. I've had a dozen or more model 700s and never a hickup with triggers, adjusted or not. Other than that I strongly and firmly believe in the old safety action of never pointing your muzzle even slightly toward another person or non shootable object.

I agree with Der Aulte Jaeger - you really need to be careful when listening to the liberal media. They twist things so much. Not to say that there is not a problem with the trigger. I own a 7mm 700 and have never had any problems. Had it adjusted to 2.5 lbs and to be safe I slammed the butt stock of the gun on the ground 10 times real fast to see, even when on fire and nothing. It is definitely sad that those accidents took place, but it all boils down to safety. What I mean is never ever ever point the muzzle at anyone, even when unloaded. This simple precaution would have prevented these accidents. My dad gave me a bb gun for my 5th birthday. I was so excited when I took it out of the box that I swung the barrel around passing it if front of my brother and sister (Right out of the box) and my dad gave me the best lesson ever that has stuck with me to this day. He grounded me from my gun for a whole month right then and there!!! I thought it was child abuse at the time, but looking back I realize that he really taught me an important lesson that will stick with me till the day they put me under.

FredBear - I would take it to a gunsmith - always better to be safe than sorry.

The firing/safety mechanism of any firearm must be 100% reliable. Practicing gun safety is a must but how many of you have fallen while hunting? Accidents happen and they shouldn't be compounded by faulty mechanics.

Well I think I figured it out, took the trigger out and fiqured out how it works and cleaned it and decided the thick factory lube wasn't letting the trigger return completly and wasn't cocking the gun when the bolt was dropped. I have cleaned this gun before but I havn't taken the trigger out and blown it out so I am hopeing I took care of it. The x-mark trigger has a sight hole that you can see the trigger stop the piece from dropping down that cocks the gun, pretty handy.

The firing/safety mechanism of any firearm must be 100% reliable. Practicing gun safety is a must but how many of you have fallen while hunting? Accidents happen and they shouldn't be compounded by faulty mechanics.

This is also a very good point gundog. Accidents do happen, even with safe gun handling techniques.

Bambistew hit the nail on the head. Muzzel control probably would have eliminated all or most of any shooting. But yes the safety should also work but hunter safely also teaches that a safety is a device that can fail.

Funny thing and it supports what I saida bove. I've heard that of yet, no independant person has been able to duplicate the so-called problem. That sure sounds fishy! I've heard that here's even a you tube video making the rounds of the persecutions expert trying to make it happen but couldn't. Can you say Anti-Gun!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back