Rem 7400 Weathermaster: POI

Finally have some cooler weather and time to test out the mod for my 7400. I shot over 60 rounds and the forearm screw did not come loose. The POI did not climb 10 inches up and down. The first 3 shots group at 50 yds was touching. During the test, I was checking the screw if it moved. It didn’t. I think I fixed the POI changes. So, those of you have the problem with POI changes, you can try my method.

Last edited:
I went to the range today and retest the 7400. The gun is thoroughly cleaned with copper remover and Hoppes 9. The temperature was around 60 deg with 10 miles wind. I couldn't believe my eyes on the first 3 shots group. I waited one minute between each shot. At 100 yds, the groups were anywhere from .75 to 1.2". Then, I tested some 175grs Sierra MK with IMR4350 without adjusting the scope. No pressure signs. I must had shot 70 rounds today. The gun likes the 175gr with 53 gr of IMR4350. I think I got this gun to shoot straight now.

Attachments

• IMG_20231009_191234.jpg
    IMG_20231009_191234.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20231009_191337.jpg
    IMG_20231009_191337.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
I have a jug of Ramshot Big Game powder. So loaded up some Sierra 168 HPBT Match King, starting from 50 grains and .5 gr increments. They are 4 shots group. 51 gr. looks good, 3 are touching and I don't know what happened to the flyer. The second target are 3 4 shots groups. The top 2 are 168 grains with IMR 4064. The bottom left is 175 gr. Sierra HPBT Match King with IMR4350. All these bullets are factory seconds from Midway. These are all at 100 yds.
I loaded up 50 more rounds of the 51 grains Big Game with the 168 HPBT for the next outing. I ran out of the IMR4350. Might load up some 175 gr with the Big Game powder just to see if this gun likes it or not.
Yeah, this gun will shoot.

Attachments

• IMG_20231208_123110 (1).jpg
    IMG_20231208_123110 (1).jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 1010.jpg
    1010.jpg
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 14
To bbassi: for some reason, i couldn't reply to you. So, I will reply to you here.

If you look at the pics from post #9, you will see the washer was inserted to the forearm screw. The washer will be in front of the gas port when you put it together. What happen is that as you are tightening the screw, the forearm will move forward away from the receiver. This is because of the extra washer was added to it. You do not want any pressure to the receiver from the forearm. Any pressure will cause the POI to change.

Also, make sure there is no contacts from the barrel to the forearm. You have to free float the barrel. I actually filed the end cap assembly for clearance to the barrel. If your forearm is touching the barrel, then remove some wood. Seal the wood when done.

Please post your results after the mod

I have a 30-06 weathermaster, about 15 years old or so in great shape. Problem is, every year I go to sight it in (on a gun rest), the Point of impact is way off from previous years. No idea whats going on. I've swapped out scopes, bases, rings to a new setup last year (Prostaff scope with Leoupold Base/rings), got it sighted in at 100yds perfectly. went out last week and one shot was 8" high and the other was off paper. same story every year, I can get it to group half way decent then It'll be off again later. Have tried different ammo as well and same thing.

Any idea what a gunsmith would look at? all the screws are tight, forearm screw, gun gets cleaned after every use; nothing noticeable that I see

Good thing I bought a Rem bolt action 270 a few years ago as that is dependable every year.

I just dont have the confidence on bringing this to the deer woods even after I get it sighted in so I just stick with the 270
Is that the pump or the semi auto?

7400 is the semi auto.
I recently bought off gun broker a 7600 in excellent shape that was manufactured 20 months after I was born! Imagine my surprise when I looked up the barrel codes on the Remington website!!! It was manufactured in April 1956!!! What a jewel! I bought ammo for it to see just what it groups, but i won't be taking it into the woods. This rifle will become my safe queen!!

I recently bought off gun broker a 7600 in excellent shape that was manufactured 20 months after I was born! Imagine my surprise when I looked up the barrel codes on the Remington website!!! It was manufactured in April 1956!!! What a jewel! I bought ammo for it to see just what it groups, but i won't be taking it into the woods. This rifle will become my safe queen!!
Nice find, congrats!

Hunt that sucker. They are NOT meant to be safe queens....

I think a rifle that old would be a Model 760. I thought the later models were 7600 ?

Congrat finding a nice 760. I would shoot it and see how it performs. Try some 180's.
Years ago, I heard people that own the 7400 have a smith to convert to 7600. This is because of the POI shifting issue. The 7600 is a good gun and the barrel is free floated.

I think a rifle that old would be a Model 760. I thought the later models were 7600 ?
Apparently not. It has CC on the upper left part of the barrel, i.e. the barrel code for mfg date.

Congrat finding a nice 760. I would shoot it and see how it performs. Try some 180's.
Years ago, I heard people that own the 7400 have a smith to convert to 7600. This is because of the POI shifting issue. The 7600 is a good gun and the barrel is free floated.
it's a .270 win. I got some 130s.

Back