Rem. 700

It is a 770 (based off the 700 whatever exactly that means) in 7mm08 I'm not saying it's a great gun other than shooting. I bought it for my wife to use while we were still dating. It has been through rain and snow all day and never had a rust issue. It came with a cheap scope but the gun itself shoots lights out

Bambistew, what model are your Mtn rifles? & What kind of groups do you get with them?

One is a DM the other is a BDL, both are wood/blue. One was manufactured in the late 90s, the other early 2000s.

Groups? Depends on the operator, but on a good day they're 1/2 moa. RL22 or IMR 4831 and 160 Accubonds and Gamekings.

The Rem Long Range is a different animal than the SPS.
My SPS was missing rifling. How the heck does that get out the door??
WTH?!

My 7mm-08 is a Rem 700...it shoots great but it was part of the recall so I put a timney trigger in. I haven't shot it since but the extra $115 I had to spend to put a SAFE trigger seemed unnecessary.

I also have a Rem 700 SPS in 22-250 that shoots minute of barn and was also recalled for trigger. I have a $700+ safe queen that should be a coyote killing workhorse. It will be rebarreled to something else as soon as I can afford to pump another $500 into it.

I have a Remington-Marlin 45-70 that is in desparate need of some refining and a polishing stone due to the sharp edges left when tooling...something a QC would have rejected but hey I got it for $300 below retail so rough was acceptable at the time.

I have a variety of rifles, one of which is a 1991 Remington Model 700, BDL Custom Deluxe in the 7mm Rem Mag caliber (wood/blued). I've been considering retiring that wedding gift from my wife and buying a Remington 700 XCRII as my 25th wedding anniversary present, but having a hard time justifying a new rifle since my old one works so darn well!

Sorry, didn't see that in your post. Guys that are swapping out triggers need to find a smith that knows his stuff. The factory triggers, especially the Walker, are damn good triggers when set up properly. If you don't like the idea of the whole Remington trigger deal, sell them. Simple as that. Bet nobody will have trouble off-loading ANY Remington. The ones I have will never go anywhere. And I would buy a new 700 tomorrow without hesitation. mtmuley

Will bedding and a new trigger on a 700 CDL improvement long range accuracy? I can shoot consistent group of 1-2 inches at 100-150 yards, but want to decrease grouping size at 300-400 yards. I just shoot factory loads, but have all the reloading components. If anyone has any recommended loads for a 7mm mag, I'm all ears. Thanks

Will bedding and a new trigger on a 700 CDL improvement long range accuracy? I can shoot consistent group of 1-2 inches at 100-150 yards, but want to decrease grouping size at 300-400 yards. I just shoot factory loads, but have all the reloading components. If anyone has any recommended loads for a 7mm mag, I'm all ears. Thanks

Bedding can help and if your trigger is bad, it can help to replace it. If it is smooth and not too heavy for you, then the trigger won't make lots of difference. Factory Rem triggers can be adjusted to be great triggers. If you have the xmark and can't get it adjusted down, go to erniethegunsmith.com and buy a replacement trigger spring. They are great.

As far as loads, what weight of bullet did you have in mind?

Believe it or not, I'm new to the whole trigger issue. I really don't shoot my 700 much but I keep it around for sentimental reasons. I would want the trigger changed, though, just in case.

It appears I can get the factory to replace mine free of charge. Is there any reason why I should spend money for someone else to do it? It sounds like some people have paid to have it done. I'd prefer to let the factory do it unless there is some reason I should not. Sounds like Remington is not what it used to be? Thoughts?

Thanks.

Bed it and get a new trigger. Torque the screws and find a load it shoots.
It had better get more consistent than 1-2" @ 100 or 150.That is not what I consider consistant or accurate.

My ADL I got for $600 back in the day is not the same gun as it was and I have alot invested in improvements.The scope I put on last year was twice the rifle price,tho I got it for $700.
It has been switched to BDL,put on a Hogue stock and a Timney trigger for the 700.

Now I had been looking for a lighter -06 back up or just an itch.

A factoryRemington BDL is still around $900 but maybe half the quality of older ones.I don't know about the $300 ones or where their from.
I can get a Vanguard/Weatherby for $600-1000 and it is a Weatherby.Quality factory rifle. Yeah not a Mark V but close,real close. And made along side Howa.
A Howa is good but not a Weatherby but around same price.
A Tikka is not a Sako but same deal.

The new Rugers and Savages are shooters but CHEAP. $&quality.
Poor fit and finish.BB gun stocks.IMHO

My ?is now how can fine quality rifle makers be producing reasonably priced quality rifles for half what I would expect to pay ,and what was once THE BENCHMARK for a quality factory rifle(REM) be same price as always and up and quality is in the dirt(IMHO) .

I'm off the new rifle deal.
Well ,maybe I'll get a Weatherby someday. Been saying that since 1969,lol.
Why pay way more than I have in my 700 and get a better looking quality lighter(not much) rifle and MAYBE it can shoot as well as my old Rem 700 -06.

Believe it or not, I'm new to the whole trigger issue. I really don't shoot my 700 much but I keep it around for sentimental reasons. I would want the trigger changed, though, just in case.

It appears I can get the factory to replace mine free of charge. Is there any reason why I should spend money for someone else to do it? It sounds like some people have paid to have it done. I'd prefer to let the factory do it unless there is some reason I should not. Sounds like Remington is not what it used to be? Thoughts?

Thanks.

Personally I'd say blow the Remington too late fix.
I'd get a Timney or Jewel. And bed the stock and torque the screws.
If any doubts try and find a real gunsmith and have the work done right.

Thanks.

The Timney triggers are quite easy to install. There are probably 100 good youtube videos with step by step processes. I did it in about 10 minutes. Watch the internet and buy when things are on sale. Timney triggers can run around $100 on sale but tend to be about $130.

I don't know the Remington turn around but I'd expect it to be a year or so due to the volume of this recall. Those new triggers will probably be ok but with Remington's ever dwingling QC I take no interest in finding out.

Pagosa. Check your PMs. I sent you one after your first post about bullets.

Back