Rem 260 Barrel optimum barrel length

daveosok

I am currently building a varmit 260.
Using Beger 140 grain VLD's what would be the optimum length of the barrel?
Berger suggests 1:9 twist for their 140 grain.
What velocity could one expect from the 140 grain at suggest barrel length?

I'm not expert but I would say minimum of 22 inches, with that heavy bullet. Being for varmints I would suspect that you want top velocity, and a short barrel would offer no advantage. Heck, you might even want to go with a 24.

Check out this address:
http://www.accuratereloading.com/260rem.html
These are some loads developed for a custom rifle in .260 with a 28" barrel. You may not want to go quite so long for portability or handiness, but this caliber seems to like slower powders, so a longer barrel would be an advantage. Good luck, Mike.

Velocity loss per inch isn't all that much. Some recent test published by Wayne Van Zwoll showed something around 30fps per 1/2 inch as about average for the .223 through 300 Win Mag. That being said, I'd tailor the barrel length and contour to give you the balance you want. However, with a 28" bbl, the 260 is plenty for 1000yds. I'd check out the 123gr Lapua Scencar. Great BC for the wieght and the extra speed allows it to hang pretty close to the 142gr MatchKing.

I had a semi-custom 260 built, I went with a 24 inch #5 shileen with a 1-8 twist. Some 1-9's have a hard time shooting high BC 140 grainers, not to mention the 155 gr sierra matchking will not shoot in a 1-9. I get 2700-2800 range with 140 grainers. I shoot mostly 120-129 grain bullets and get 2850 up to around 3000. I know its not what your looking for but the sierra 100 hp and the 107gr matchking are real nice shooters. I don't think you'll over stablize a lighter bullet, I've never seen it.

Barrels serve two purposes keep the bullet in a straight line. and lengthen the expansion chamber.IE give the powder time to burn and expand. pushing the bullet faster and giving it more energy.
The 260 is not a serious OVER BORE cal.OVER BORE being more powder than can be burnt .300 Rem ultra mag is the epitome of over bore.30-06 Springfield is an efficient cal. most of the powder is burnt in 30-06.
300 mags use a lot more powder to get a Little more speed partly because all of the powder doesn't burn.Theirs to much there.longer barrels give the EXTRA POWDER time to burn. a 308 win is efficient.any thing longer than 20 in or so is a wast because most of the powder is burnt at that point.and not much will be gained except weight and bulk to carry.big mag cal gain more speed with a 24 or 26 in barrel.I don't think you would gain much going with a longer barrel than 24 in. in this cal.And my personal preference is short light and handy for a hunting rifle.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-18-2003 20:38: Message edited by: nitro x ]</font>

Dave'o,
I have some custom rifle experience and quite a little reloading experience and I have to ask. Isn't chosing the bullet prior to producing the gun somewhat backwards?
What if the finished product doesn't digest the VLD's?
WD

Daveo.. listen to Wallydog.. He speaks the truth.. A little secret about 6.5mm caliber weapons.. the faster the twist, the better the rifle will shoot.. The best 6.5 I've ever built is the one that Nut and Vip have right now. That's little more than a converted Swede with some barrel and action work done. It will shoot any bullet from the 85 grain varmint bullets upto and including the 156 grain Norma bullets and it shoots them all sub moa. The twist in that barrel I believe is 1:7.6 or something similar. It was designed to shoot the standard Swedish military round with a 156 grain semi pointed FMJ bullet. The barrel is cut to 24 inches and it gets better velocity than any of the books indicate it should. Now considering that the Remington version, the 260, has a slightly smaller powder capacity, I would guess that anything over 24 inches would be a waste and anything under 22 inches would restrict performance.

cool.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back