Relocating to Alaska

birdwacker

My job may move me to Alaska and I have a great deal of discretion as to where I live in the state. I like to hunt Alaska big game and would like to live in a town that is most central to hunting different big game species. What town would be most central to hunt a wide variety of big game? Is there a town in Alaska where someone could live and hunt (sheep, bear, moose, caribou) and not have to travel too far - close proximity???

Thats a tough call. There is a huge difference between the major cities of Alaska. You have SE (Juneau/Sitka/Ketchikan) with their mild winters and rainy summers. Good bear and goat hunting. You have South Central (Anchorage/Seward/Valdez/Homer/Kodiak) which gives you good access to everything except caribou. Milder winters, a lot of snow, not as cold. You could come up to the interior (Fairbanks) which has good access to everything, but is a much harsher climate. Very cold and dry.

It also depends on what kind of lifestyle you want to lead. Anchorage is much more "big city". Fairbanks is a little more laid back, but is getting bigger. Seward/Homer/Valdez and the SE towns are all big fishing towns. A place like Homer is well known for its art and music.

I don't know if that is helpful or not, but let us know what kind of life you are looking for, besides the hunting. I think you'll find that most everyone from Alaska is pretty friendly and helpful.

Good luck with that, AK is not like hunting the lower 48 you have to travel most of the time. and if it is close everybody else will be there due to lack of roads. Get a boat or a buddy that has a plane and your good to go If you enjoy fishing I would pick a spot to live around that and travel to hunt.

I am a biologist for the federal government and my wife is a high school teacher so we could live a lot of places in AK. We would like to live in city with a good airport and attached to the road system. Beyond that I want to live in a town that I could access a wide variety of biggame species (by road or plane) without going long distances. I've been to Anchorage a couple of times and am not sure it's the best place to be central to access good hunting - but you would know more than me. I really don't care much about the fishing but would really like to focus on sheep, bear, caribou, etc. hunting. Talking to other people it sounds like Fairbanks is harsh and not too appealing, but I've never been there. Right now I think I'm looking at Fairbanks and Anchorage to move too but really want to go somewhere that I can get the biggest bang for my move (hunting wise).

So would you be working for the ADF&G? Glennallen comes to mind; further south than Fairbanks; good black/brown bear populations, moose country, sheep country, caribou w/ Teir II, birds, etc. Fishing (when you change your mind of course) just down the road.

My other question would be: How close do you need to be to "modern" conveniences. You mentioned the airport, and really, the only major airports would be Anchorage and Fairbanks. Glenallen is nice, but you have to drive several hours to get to an airport, unless you're flying a Cesna. Plus, it gets just as cold down there as it does in Fairbanks. You have to understand that Fairbanks and Anchorage are 350 miles apart. There are lots of small towns in between, but for any kind of services (hospital, grocery stores, etc.) you're going to have to stay closer to one of the bigger cities. I live a little bit outside of Fairbanks. Its not that bad here, but it is growing and starting to have some problems that growing cities have. Personally, I would look at the Mat-Su Valley. I always liked Palmer, personally. Its a little bit smaller. Its close enough to all the amenities in Wasilla, but far enough away for the hustle and bustle. Plus, you have access by road to the rest of the state. Fairbanks would be a 4-6 hour drive. Anchorage about an hour.

Glenallen would be cool. Espicially if your name was Glenn. Or Allen. Is it?

Ovis,
You care to indulge in some info on perhaps a place a guy could find some moose sheds? The anchorage bowl is pretty much locked up by all the locals here (one guy is even using a plane). We've went out a few times but not with much success.

Birdwacker,
If you end up in the anchorage area sorry. If you end up anywhere else in AK congrats! And I am jealous :D

Wyodeerhunter

Where I prefer to hunt the moose don't go. :D Seriously, I am the wrong guy for that. The moose bug has not hit me, nor has shed hunting. When I do come across them, they are normally in wind blown valleys. Of course they have been there all winter, spring and summer and all the rodents have gnawed on them. Sorry guy...

Wyodeerhunter

Where I prefer to hunt the moose don't go. :D Seriously, I am the wrong guy for that. The moose bug has not hit me, nor has shed hunting. When I do come across them, they are normally in wind blown valleys. Of course they have been there all winter, spring and summer and all the rodents have gnawed on them. Sorry guy...

I figured that but thought it was worth a shot. We have the shed sickness in a bad way and am considering a fly out shed hunt this spring. Thanks anyways!!!!

Wyodeer, if you want to find sheds try lookig at earthquake park. Especially right there by the guard shack just past postmark road. Walk in the woods being the alaskacargoport building. you will be walking along the fenceline of the airport. Just about everyday there moose in there and that bigboy is always hanging out there.

lilbiggun,
Yeah I was thinking about going there and asked a couple other people about that spot but I guess a husband and wife shed huntin' duo hits that pretty hard.

I also heard the biggest bull there shedded around Turkey Day and they were not on the ground long. Just a rumor though

My job may move me to Alaska and I have a great deal of discretion as to where I live in the state. I like to hunt Alaska big game and would like to live in a town that is most central to hunting different big game species. What town would be most central to hunt a wide variety of big game? Is there a town in Alaska where someone could live and hunt (sheep, bear, moose, caribou) and not have to travel too far - close proximity???

Check out Kenai/Soldotna. The peninsula has all the species you mentioned, although caribou is a draw. Only 20 minute flight to Anchorage or 3 hour drive. A decent sized community with good fresh and saltwater fishing nearby. A little crazy with tourists in the summer, but that only lasts about 3 months, winters aren't that bad either.
Anyway, that's where I'd live if I had to move to the mainland.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back