Caribou Gear Tarp

Reloading Bench

brymoore

I’m going to build a reloading bench over Christmas break. I’m looking for ideas.

Can you guys post pics of your benches? Let me know any tips you might have.

It’ll just be for rifle reloading to start.

I don't have any pictures, but I can tell you when I rebuild mine, I will set the height of the bench off the bottom of the stroke on the press - be it sitting or standing, pay attention to what that height is... then set the benchtop off that. I built mine too low, so not have to dip my shoulder just a bit to hit the bottom (press all the way up) of the stroke.

I also hit the easy button and caught a 4 drawer tool chest on sale at Home Depot for $100 - i put that under my bench for drawer storage. Works great.

On the bench itself, make it stout. I’ve got 4x4 front legs and the rear anchored into the cement wall. Built with 2x6s and also some compartments for Rubbermaid tubs for storage. The top is actually a layer of 3/4” plywood that’s tied into the frame. On top of that is a piece of regular countertop That I consider sacrificial. The countertop has a gradual rise on the outside edge that helps keep components on the bench in case of a spill.
I also have anchors in the plywood that is underneath the countertop (and through holes in the countertop) so I can easily bolt down bench mounted tools like my shotgun presses, priming tools, swager, vice, barrel vise, etc. I also have a press mount from Inline Fabrication so I can change out my metallic presses pretty easily.
Dont underestimate the need for storage for tools, components, presses, scales, dies, powders, etc. as well as space on your bench. Like fruitsnack above, I use a couple of toolboxes for some of that storage.
Depending on the type and accuracy of the scale you use, fluorescent lights can cause problems with drift. I had that issue and tried adding ferrites and doing other things with no improvement. I replaced my fluorescent bulbs with led tubes and the problem went away.

Attachments

• 75B53E6F-F4B3-4C79-8997-C50D0BF7DF17.jpeg
    75B53E6F-F4B3-4C79-8997-C50D0BF7DF17.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 32
  • 82776338-9616-40F5-A5AF-483C1A1ECC13.jpeg
    82776338-9616-40F5-A5AF-483C1A1ECC13.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 33
  • BBB4BEB0-8E5A-467C-AE7D-CEAD6107867C.jpeg
    BBB4BEB0-8E5A-467C-AE7D-CEAD6107867C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 34

If I were to do anything differently it would be to raise my bench height up 6 inches

If I were to do anything differently it would be to raise my bench height up 6 inches
Agree. In my first picture you can compare the height of my reloading bench to the ‘regular’ height of the counter beside it. It’s about 6” higher, and I wish it was a bit more. Keep in mind that the Inline Fab press mount I have is about another 1” above the countertop height.

I use a Seville table, bought it at Sams club a few Black Fridays ago under $200.

Currently looking for a tool chest that will fit below the bench but attached as weight. Storage for bullets and components.

Mine's anchored to the wall at standing height. I offset a 2x4 that is anchored to the concrete floor to support the press.

I built it with 4x4 legs supporting a tabletop built of 3/4 inch sanded ply framed by 2x6s. I also built the shelves that attach to the table. I have 2x4s running underneath the table top to firm everything up. I have used it for a few years, and I am happy with it. The boxes and bags are my kids’ Christmas gifts. A great place to hide stuff since I keep the room locked. 9B2DC3E8-A6EF-4669-9940-CFA9022EEDB0.jpeg

Last edited:
Back