Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Region 7 Montana

Shangobango

I know, I know.

I was hesitant to even ask this question but I have my first mule deer tag and this is my first western hunt and this is where we are going. I have done searches on the site and devoured all the info I can on this area. But I still don’t feel as if I have found a good answer to my question.

My question is this: what size mule deer buck would I be a darn fool to pass up in Region 7 if my goal is just to find a good representative mule deer buck that is as mature as I could reasonably expect a mule deer to be in this area in the 9 or 10 days I will have to hunt?

Not that I am overly score oriented but I have a number in my head that I don’t want to go under but I don’t know if it is reasonable.

PM me if you would rather.

Thanks in advance.

If you are happy then I’m happy for you. If you’ve never hunted out west or mule deer, and are used to looking at whitetails, then you will probably dump the first square horned 4 point you see. Chances are that deer may score 130. But seriously though as long as you do it legal and you are happy that’s what’s important.

you will probably dump the first square horned 4 point you see. Chances are that deer may score 130.

If it was possible for odds to be less than 0 that is what they would be for that scenario taking place.

Thanks for the reply. I am excited to be coming out.

You'll have a great time hunting mule deer in Eastern MT.

It is a long season, and expectations should change depending on the season/weapon you are hunting/ hunting with.

If you can, my suggestion would be to carve out two trips if you can. If not, Hunt later in the season, when they are in the rut.

Cool/crazy/weird bu KBA are a no-brainer, otherwise a good representation of the species is what I would look for. Do your homework on scoring mule deer, and come home with a great experience.

If it was possible for odds to be less than 0 that is what they would be for that scenario taking place.
What makes you think that?
I agree with the original response from Hunt West, if you are happy, pull the trigger. To say you are not worried about the score but ask what is a good score not to pass up is going to cause problems for people. There are a ton of these threads, which you clearly have read because you started with "I know, I know,":)

Well let's just make this easy what would be the number floating in your head if you don't mind me asking it may make this very easy? You may be hoping for something that is unrealistic possibly in region 7 on public land. Nice deer can be had but they are few and far between. Also the timing of your trip could play a factor in things.

What makes you think that?
I agree with the original response from Hunt West, if you are happy, pull the trigger. To say you are not worried about the score but ask what is a good score not to pass up is going to cause problems for people. There are a ton of these threads, which you clearly have read because you started with "I know, I know,":)

I get what you are saying.

To answer your question and address your concerns:

Because I know myself. Because I am not driving 1500 miles one way to pull the trigger on the first buck I see unless it is exceptional. I have 9 or 10 days to hunt.

I am trying to set expectations for myself so that I will be happy with the outcome regardless if if I wind up shooting a 3 year old 4 point or something older.

The only reason I brought score up at all was there is no better method I can think of
to relay general size when having a conversation such as this. I would have went with age but my lack of experience with mule deer leads me to believe that I will more accurately be able to judge antler size than age.

I have spent hours scouring this sight and others for the answer to the question I asked. If I would have found an answer that satisfied me, I wouln’t have wasted everyone’s time by asking it.

Thank you for the reply.

Well let's just make this easy what would be the number floating in your head if you don't mind me asking it may make this very easy? You may be hoping for something that is unrealistic possibly in region 7 on public land. Nice deer can be had but they are few and far between. Also the timing of your trip could play a factor in things.

The number in my head is 170. I should be arriving in my hunting area mid day on November 1st and departing for home on November 12th.

Edit: I am not hung up on score. I am just trying to set reasonable expectations for myself. If I take a 160 or 150 or whatever that does it for me I will be ecstatic.

Last edited:
The number in my head is 170. I should be arriving in my hunting area mid day on November 1st and departing for home on November 12th.

Edit: I am not hung up on score. I am just trying to set reasonable expectations for myself. If I take a 160 or 150 or whatever that does it for me I will be ecstatic.

170"??? Are you hunting public land? If so, 170" would be bigger than 95+% or more of all the bucks taken in Montana each fall!

170"??? Are you hunting public land? If so, 170" would be bigger than 95+% or more of all the bucks taken in Montana each fall!

Thanks for the reply.

That is why I asked the question.

Is that same statement not true for most other mule deer States as well? Maybe just more so for Montana?

I know Montana is not a “trophy” destination for mule deer. I have been doing research for several years which is the reason I chose this area for a first time western hunt where we are going to be staring the process of learning what it takes to hunt far from home in terrain we are not accustomed too and chasing animals that we are not familiar with.

Once again, thanks for your reply and your perspective.

Region 7 is huge. What part of region 7 are you hunting and public or private?

We will be on public maybe some BMA. We are planning on being mobile so I have no specific area. I have an area picked out where I plan for us to start.

I hope to fly up in September and rent a truck and spend a couple of days doing some reconnaissance. Mainly just finding access points and roads putting eyes on the country to compare the ground to what I am seeing on the maps.

I get what you are saying.

To answer your question and address your concerns:

Because I know myself. Because I am not driving 1500 miles one way to pull the trigger on the first buck I see unless it is exceptional. I have 9 or 10 days to hunt.

I am trying to set expectations for myself so that I will be happy with the outcome regardless if if I wind up shooting a 3 year old 4 point or something older.

The only reason I brought score up at all was there is no better method I can think of
to relay general size when having a conversation such as this. I would have went with age but my lack of experience with mule deer leads me to believe that I will more accurately be able to judge antler size than age.

I have spent hours scouring this sight and others for the answer to the question I asked. If I would have found an answer that satisfied me, I wouln’t have wasted everyone’s time by asking it.

Thank you for the reply.
Don;t feel like you are wasting our time. Most of us have nothing better to do. :LOL:
You shouldn't care about age. It doesn't matter if it is 3.5yr or 7.5yr. It's completely irrelevant. You care about size, and there is no real answer to the question. Look at the 'Lets see some Mule deer' thread with all the pictures and know that if you see anything similar to one of those SHOOT IT. It takes a special deer to get to 170. Special in avoiding hunters for a handful of season, which usually involves finding private land that doesn't allow hunting, and special to grow to the size people are wow'ed by. If you want a general guide, the ears are a good benchmark. A 130 mule deer anywhere in Montana is full grown and going to get his share of does. A 170 mule deer is an awesome sight and the question you ask is simply pointless because you will shoot it. Have a good time and cover some ground. Mature bucks are not found on every piece of property so make sure your expectations are set correctly. You are not going to fall out of your truck after driving 1500 miles and have a good deer stand broadside at 150yds begging you shoot it and drive back home. If you have that kind of luck you are playing the wrong game, so try to clear your mind of that image. Burn some boot leather and you should see some deer. What is the saying guides use, don't pass up on the first what you would shoot on the last day. Anything 150 or above is not going to be second-guessed.

I'm heading there too, if it's ears width+ and 3x3 I'm shooting.

I hear ya. I’m going to be a little pickier than that though. I guess I won’t really know until I get up there and start looking at deer.

If I can’t find the mulie I want I may just end up shooting a nice whitetail if I can find one.

Don;t feel like you are wasting our time. Most of us have nothing better to do. :LOL:
You shouldn't care about age. It doesn't matter if it is 3.5yr or 7.5yr. It's completely irrelevant. You care about size, and there is no real answer to the question. Look at the 'Lets see some Mule deer' thread with all the pictures and know that if you see anything similar to one of those SHOOT IT. It takes a special deer to get to 170. Special in avoiding hunters for a handful of season, which usually involves finding private land that doesn't allow hunting, and special to grow to the size people are wow'ed by. If you want a general guide, the ears are a good benchmark. A 130 mule deer anywhere in Montana is full grown and going to get his share of does. A 170 mule deer is an awesome sight and the question you ask is simply pointless because you will shoot it. Have a good time and cover some ground. Mature bucks are not found on every piece of property so make sure your expectations are set correctly. You are not going to fall out of your truck after driving 1500 miles and have a good deer stand broadside at 150yds begging you shoot it and drive back home. If you have that kind of luck you are playing the wrong game, so try to clear your mind of that image. Burn some boot leather and you should see some deer. What is the saying guides use, don't pass up on the first what you would shoot on the last day. Anything 150 or above is not going to be second-guessed.

Awesome! Thank you again!

Thanks for the reply.

That is why I asked the question.

Is that same statement not true for most other mule deer States as well? Maybe just more so for Montana?

I know Montana is not a “trophy” destination for mule deer. I have been doing research for several years which is the reason I chose this area for a first time western hunt where we are going to be staring the process of learning what it takes to hunt far from home in terrain we are not accustomed too and chasing animals that we are not familiar with.

Once again, thanks for your reply and your perspective.

Out of curiosity, during your several years of research, why did you pick SE MT for your 1st western public land mule deer hunt?

I hope that you and your crew have a great hunt and enjoy the western hunting experience, you will see deer, both muley and whitie!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back