Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Refrigerator box hobo hunt

Nambaster

I have a question about hunting blinds for pronghorn. My question is, just how stupid are they when it comes to blinds at a watering hole? Will they still come in to water when there is a cardboard refrigerator box sitting 20 yards from their source of water? I have shot a buck utilizing archery equipment and stalking them, but it seems that the land out here in Idaho is not too conducive to slipping into an arroyo to thread an arrow. Are pronghorn cosmetically picky?

Between a freaking cardboard box and nothing, I'd go with nothing. Sit on the ground or a low chair with brush as cover.

I'd rather be hiding in sage than in a cardboard box. Bring some sheers and make a quick blind, I do it all the time for deer, it looks natural and won't spook them like a new blind would.

My issue is I don’t like all the biting fire ants and the flies. I can mesh a screen hatch in my hobo box and freeze a big block of ice to lay on and play cell phone games and listen to podcasts all day long. For me sitting in a blind is absolute torture unless I am distracted. When I go coyote calling I am usually too impatient to wait for those suckers to come in. I’ll look up from my cell phone and see the coyote with his nose in my e caller.

I may just end up doing the spot and stalk thing. Flies drive me absolutely nuts.

Based on my vast experience, *snicker*

1. If it's something new, they're probably not going to like it for a few days. If you're planning to set it up in the evening and hunt out of it the next morning, I don't see it helping your chances. If you set it up a week or two before season and brush it in..., that's a lot of work to put into a cardboard box.

2. Antelope country is probably going to be windy sooner or later. A cardboard box will flop and lean and flatten in the wind. Antelope won't care if your box is ugly, but they will care if it moves and makes noise.

QQ

The problem wouldn't be the antelope noticing it pretty sure they don't care what a blind is made of. But it's durability would be horrible in high wind, and what would happen if it rained? The doghouse style popup blinds can be bought for less then a tank of gas and work well. I saw a guy once who dug a pit blind then he had built a top over it of PVC and mesh. It was a rectangle PVC pipe frame wrapped in mesh with heavy mesh on top for shade.

When choosing your box blind, I suggest sticking with American appliance brands such as Maytag or Kenmore, you know - something as well known to the North American Pronghorn as a Chevy truck and a Coors Lite. Stay away from them foreign jobs. No LG, Bosch or even worse...Samsung. Antelope are not easily fooled.

brush it in if you're gonna use it, same as a pop up blind, brush it in or they'll be wary of it first few times

Just keep the noise, flapping and shine down.
Before taking advice like digging a pit or cutting a bunch of brush please refer to the land managers rules and read the state regulations. Idaho is fairly strict.
I'll keep a look out for your box and say hi!

The problem wouldn't be the antelope noticing it pretty sure they don't care what a blind is made of. But it's durability would be horrible in high wind, and what would happen if it rained? The doghouse style popup blinds can be bought for less then a tank of gas and work well. I saw a guy once who dug a pit blind then he had built a top over it of PVC and mesh. It was a rectangle PVC pipe frame wrapped in mesh with heavy mesh on top for shade.

I hunted out of a box blind for a couple years in a region that averages 40" of rain/year without much issue. If it's staked and/or tucked out of the wind it should be fine.

Depends on if there is other water sources near by I have set up a blind in the morning in the dark and 20 minutes after first light my buddy killed an antelope. I always try to find a water hole that has some other structure, wash, tall brush etc. Like said in previous comments id get a cheap pop up blind instead of a card board whatever you got haha. You don't even really need to brush them in. That's just my experience and it works quite often. Also try to find a small water hole you can shoot across to big of pond and they will water as far away from you as possible it seems like. Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back