Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Red stag in the rut

TWC

This took place a few years ago thanks to a friend who had invited me out a few times post rut in previous years and although we saw deer every time, we never connected.

well, this time we were out in the rut and spend an evening sitting over an area which had thick scrub in front and 300m stretch of open ground to the left which connected up with another block of scrub. The stags rutted heavy in there but it’s too thick to go in after them, so it’s a patience game and trying to coax them out with some roaring.

we had a stag all evening in front of us in the scrub roaring and doing a loop around the scrub but would not come out, even to us roaring back. He was clearly holding hinds he didn’t want to leave. Night fell, and even as we snuck out he was still going. An awesome experience to have a stag roaring it’s head off for 3 hours just in front of you.

We are back next morning to the same spot and silence - you could hear a pin drop... we stuck it out for a few hours and still nothing heard or seen. We are just about to go and stalk down the edge of the scrub when from the other block to our left crossing the open are 20 hinds, followed in tow by a huge stag coming right to us. I slip down onto the rifle and when the stag comes in range my friend roars at him to stop. Shot taken - high shoulder which anchors him - boundary not far away so your shots have to count. I put another one into his shoulder as he is still trying to get up but can’t.

I feel very privileged to have been able to hunt such a fantastic beast in the rut. I hope you enjoying reading and seeing some of what the UK has to offer.

FB9A8C2C-4A38-4850-872E-FC83A0FB3725.jpeg

584020E1-5288-451B-A522-68B1018C6085.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back