Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Red algae ?

hank4elk

Went down to the solar well to fill some tanks after the storm last night did a number to my domestic well control panel. The pond is now crimson red on top,floating algae.
Anyone seen bright red floating algae before? Curious if it is as harmful as the blue green in the water algae?
Rio was of course in the pond and drinking....the muddy water. This red just on the surface and floats.

Insane bright red pond/tank in a sea of green grass and sunflowers.

Hank,

Isn't red algae the cause of a death of an elk herd in northern New Mexico?

I would call your local game warden.

No. I have never seen it.

That was a blue /green algae. The type that grows in the water body,like red tide.But in fresh water tanks & troughs. I saw some in the Gila a few years back.
I'll check UNM website.

Went down to the solar well to fill some tanks after the storm last night did a number to my domestic well control panel. The pond is now crimson red on top,floating algae.
Anyone seen bright red floating algae before? Curious if it is as harmful as the blue green in the water algae?
Rio was of course in the pond and drinking....the muddy water. This red just on the surface and floats.

Insane bright red pond/tank in a sea of green grass and sunflowers.
We had it a few years ago, I don't think it is as bad as blue green but still needs to be treated. It didn't hurt our cows...but ymmv.

We were just on the Gulf Coast of Florida and while not related to NM the red tide ( red algae bloom) was horrific and there were millions of dead fish washing up on shore the first day we were there. Caused throat irritation for us, coughing, and it essentially attacks the nervous system of the fish (not mammals). It cleaned up after the first day and we were fine after that but the fishery down there was hit pretty hard from what the news was saying. Scary stuff. Any algae bloom.

Good luck Hank and I hope it isn't as serious.

Calls from G&F not returned yet. Could be,maybe,serious, or not.
No more drinking/swimming in that tank for Rio til it is gone.
Might have to dose it with copper or bleach.
I did water treatment in the parks too,and never seen it. Had to treat some waters with copper,without killing fish. Tricky stuff done with CA-DFG.
No dead critters around it and no fish in there I know of. Thing was full of toads 2 weeks ago.

New controller and I have water at house again. Williams Windmill. Great folks.

Finally got call from G&F. Guy said if it's still around and worry some or ? let him know and maybe he can facilitate testing ...I can get it tested.
Just checked,still there in one tank/pond. Looks like a scummy summer tank with moss. Just the red spore like stuff on the surface,riding the surface tension. No dead critters about.
Other tank is fine & elk hammering it.
Guess it's another odd NM thing.

Hank any fish in it or Sheep drinking from it? If so Copper could harm either of those.

There is a guy marketing Algae products out of WA state who could give you some info if you wanted to reach out to him.

https://c1distribution.com/services/

I think what you are describing could be a good marketing opportunity for him. I sell one of his products for 500 gallon water troughs..

None.Toads. No cattle on next door property,yet, and they might get effected. Never seen any sheep here,except for 4H. Elk, lots & antelope.
If it was a toxic it would show up with dead wildlife 1st. The toads,birds,prairie dogs & ground squirrels 1st, larger mammels next,elk & antelope .

Guy from G&F mentioned a co. in NE or ? that sells barely straw bails that dumped in pond will get rid of ?.
Rio is still healthy after being in the water a week later.

Thanks for the follow up,
I admit I was worried about Rio.
Yeah, I was very concerned.
I took him over to the big tank for a bath and drink after.
I've never successfully given him a proper bath. It turns into the insane run game every time. He thinks it's funny.
Lucky dobies have short coats & don't shed. I often wonder if it's him or me I smell as he lays his big noggin on my lap,on the keyboard....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back