Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Recommendations for applying with 0 or 1 point for elk

matechakeric

I want to take my wife and father elk hunting with rifle in 2022. We won't be able to hunt at all out west in 2021 due to personal schedules. but I want at least one of us to draw an elk tag in 2022. I plan on purchasing preference points in WY and CO in 2021.

do we have a good chance of drawing at least 1 elk tag between the 3 of us if we each have 0 or 1 point or bonus point? i know every state is different in the system they use. I know OTC tags are always an option but asking with intent of drawing a tag. we are open to other states as well...not only WY and CO

Last edited:
You have quite a few options in Colorado. No bull tags guaranteed in WY with only a single point. Best bet would be the general tag in the Special draw, but it took >1 point to guarantee that tag in 2020. CO, however, gives you some opportunities. There are quite a few units that issued first-rifle season bull tags to nonresidents with 1 point in 2020. Check out the drawing statistics report on their website (link below). The “Drawn Out At” report is probably the easiest place to start.

Last edited:
It ups the price point quite a bit, but in WY you can pay more and have better odds of drawing with a "Special Elk draw". Just another option to consider. My dad used to do that in a general unit and drew every year.

I'm hoping for a Wyoming general tag this year, but with only 1 point it seems unlikely. I guess I'm too cheap to pay for the special.

It will take 4 maybe 5 to be 100% in 22 in wyoming to draw a reg general tag educated guessing. The special is a lot better hopes not becuase of points but based on random odds. If it has to be bull apply in wy, hope to hit random, if not your going to colorodo... lot of great cow hunts out there

I would find a unit with a Type 4 tag that can be drawn 2nd choice, put general 1st Type 4 2nd.

I wouldn't discount a cow hunt in Colorado either, but there's not a lot of $$ difference between a cow tag in Colorado and a Type 4 in Wyoming.

It will take 4 maybe 5 to be 100% in 22 in wyoming to draw a reg general tag educated guessing. The special is a lot better hopes not becuase of points but based on random odds. If it has to be bull apply in wy, hope to hit random, if not your going to colorodo... lot of great cow hunts out there
yea I think we may build up elk points in WY & AZ and mule deer points in CO. I feel like for 22 and 23, either going with cow tags or OTC in Colorado or Idaho if we time it right may be the way we go

No you DONT know, 6/7 seperate draw no points involved half the price. Type 4/5 can be drawn as second choice in many units, full price but no points as a second/third choice
o ok then you're right, I dont' know. great info. thanks

OTC 2nd season bull in Colorado i believe? Haven't seen the new regulations book but I'm pretty sure. If you don't draw at least it's an option.

If you put in for points this year, in multiple states. Then apply in all of the states in 2022, can't imagine not drawing a tag.

i know drawing a cow tag erases the points accumulated. that's my only apprehension to your strategy

No, applying for a reduced price tag WILL NOT affect your points. Applying for a Type 4 and 5 cow tag (full price tag) in the draw will affect your points if you draw your first choice but a lot of those tags can be drawn as 2nd and 3rd choices which WILL NOT affect your points.

You might want to look up how the draw works, first/second/third choices, Type 6 and 7 tag, etc, on the Wyoming F&G website...

yeah that tag just keeps creeping. maybe 4 points. that tag creeps about 1/2 pt per year. definitely not 5, likely 3.5-4 in 2022. hoping to draw it myself this year but im right on the edge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back