RECOIL. heavy gun-VS -light gun with muzzle break

A 2+ year old thread, but it is a re-occurring topic.

I had my competition shotguns ported many years ago and quickly saw the advantage, especially for the second shot in doubles and for long events that would require up to 500 or more 12 gauge shots in one day.

Ever since I got my first centerfire rifle, a .30-06 in 1967, I have liked to make my own walnut stocks for them. Unfortunately, they all end up weighing about 10 pounds, with their scopes. I have carried them to the top of many mountains on sheep and goat hunts.

I now have a few rifles with plastic stocks, but they still weigh in the 9 pound range. I didn't get my first "magnum" rifle, a 7 mm Rem mag, until I was in my 50s. It is stainless in a plastic stock that weighs right at 9 pounds with scope and sling. It's one of my most used rifles that I've taken on a number of international hunts and on any hunt where I expect wet weather. It's recoil is about the upper limit of my recoil comfort level.

About 15 years ago I booked an African cape buffalo hunt and I needed a rifle of at least .375 caliber. I chose a stainless 26" barreled Rem 700 in .375 Ultra Mag that I put into a laminated stock. With it's 2-7 Leupold scope and a sling it's just under 10 pounds.

The first time that I took it to the range I quit shooting it after only 6 shots. It was the hardest kicking thing that I had ever shot. It just plain hurt!

So I had a KDF muzzle brake put on it, and later I put a mechanical recoil reducer in it's stock. That dropped the felt recoil down to about the 7mm RM level. I've been able to work up 3-shot moa loads with 3 different bullets for it, and I've taken it to Africa twice. I made my longest ever one shot kill on a big game animal (348 yards)with it, and I was able to comfortably shoot several animals from prone positions with it.

After over 40 years of wanting one, about 10 years ago I finally bought a .300 Weatherby. Because of it's reputation as a hard kicker, before I ever shot it I had a KDF brake installed on it, and when I made the Fancy walnut stock for it, I put a recoil reducer in it's stock. With a Leupold VX 3i 4.5-14x40 30mm scope and a sling it also weighs right at 10 pounds. I have 1" Limbsaver recoil pads on most of my rifles.

I also have a Weatherby Vanguard rifle in .308 Win that weighs 9 pounds. The felt recoil of my .300 Wby does not feel any worse that the recoil of my .308 Win. I also regularly practice with my .300 Wby shooting the steel gongs at our range from a prone position. I really like the sound that it makes hitting the 430 yard gong.

Of the dozens of animals that I've shot with my muzzle braked rifles, I think that there was only one that I shot when I wasn't wearing ear plugs. Yes, muzzle braked rifles are loud, but so are 4' barreled .357 and .44 magnum pistols, short barreled AR rifles, and all of the other large powder burning rifles like the .300 WM, .338 WM, etc. Even when hunting, it only takes a few seconds to put ear plugs in.

I see many hunting shows, and even had an antelope hunting partner, where the hunter is day hunting with a large backpack. I could never understand why they need such a large pack for a day hunt. If you feel your 9 or 10 pound rifle is too heavy to carry in the mountains, and you're carrying a 30-40 + pound backpack, look at shaving 10-20 pounds from your pack.

I'm looking at the same rifle, want to mount it with the Leupold VX3i with a 40mm objective (Part # 177280) ... did you mount your scope on a rail? Or just bases with rings? Curious what your setup is. Thank you!
Talley lightweight one piece ring/base. Be careful on the front screws as they only bite on 2 or 3 threads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back