Reccomended rifle for shooting out to 1000 yards

Try this, run down to a 200 yard target and back. Sit down and get your shooting sticks or pack and try to hit a 500 steel with 5 shots within 10 seconds of getting back to your rifle. See how many you hit. Put the hunt back into hunting-400yds max. People can post all kinds of long-range shots to boost their egos be careful of what you believe.

I get what you are trying to say but typically long range shooting isn’t a “rushed” thing. You aren’t sprinting up a mountain just to jerk a shot at 700 yards. You work through your setup and possibly even dry fire a few times to make sure everything is right.

The only shot I've taken over 300 yards was at a Muley in Eastern WA. He was out at 325 and I am shooting a .300 WinMag. It was the most nerve wracking moment I've ever had in the woods as I was out of my comfort zone. I did pull the trigger and collected him right on the spoit he stood. But I'll never take another shot out that far. That's just me though. I'll work harder to get in closer...

However, I've taken the same rifle and clanged steel out to 600 yards and it was a lot of fun, seeing what wind and time in flight will do to a bullet.

Gary

I am in the market for a new rifle but am unable to decide on the make and model! I want another rifle in 300 Win Mag.
I have been looking at the following;
  • Browning Hells Canyon 300 win mag valued at about $1300 (online) Without Scope
  • Remington Sendero 300 Win Mag Valued at about $1500 (online) Without Scope
  • Howa Randy Newberg Edition 300 Win Mag valued at about $1600 (online) With 3.5-10x40 LEUPOLD VX-3i CDS Series

I don't mind an average/Heavy weighted rifle since most traveling is done on horseback with the ocasional short hikes.I Would consider a muzzlebreak if it was included with the rifle and in fact reduced recoil..Mostly looking for a Sub Moa long range rifle with in the same price range as these. Not looking to spend more than $2000 with a scope.

Thanks In Advance for any recommendations.
if your talking about the browning X-bolt hells canyon than i think thats your best bet. i bought a browning X-bolt a year ago and its awesome.the action is smooth and the gun is really well built. nothing against Howa but i would choose browning.

The only shot I've taken over 300 yards was at a Muley in Eastern WA. He was out at 325 and I am shooting a .300 WinMag. It was the most nerve wracking moment I've ever had in the woods as I was out of my comfort zone. I did pull the trigger and collected him right on the spoit he stood. But I'll never take another shot out that far. That's just me though. I'll work harder to get in closer...

However, I've taken the same rifle and clanged steel out to 600 yards and it was a lot of fun, seeing what wind and time in flight will do to a bullet.

Gary

Shooting steel is a whole lot different than shooting game. Steel doesn't move for one thing. But there are other differences too. Sure is fun and good practice, but like you said, shooting game is very much different.

It's an easy quantifiable metric. But what is the definition of a "good hunter" anyway? Depends on who you ask.
Just always hear in these kinds of arguments that If someone shoots an animal at say 500 yards that they aren’t a real hunter. Never mind the fact that he just busted his ass for a week straight humping the mountains from before daylight to after dark. But the guy that shoots one at 100 yards is the real hunter because he was close to his animal. Even though he opened the pickup door and stepped out and shot it

brockel, I can agree to an extent, but I don't see that humping mountains means beans about being a hunter. just means he has legs. So do ultra marathoners. There is NO metric.

brockel, I can agree to an extent, but I don't see that humping mountains means beans about being a hunter. just means he has legs. So do ultra marathoners. There is NO metric.

But which one is doing more hunting?

For an out of the box 1K rifle that won’t break the bank:
Remington 700 5r Gen 2
Tikka T3X CTR
Savage Model 10
Bergara
All the above are capable and have a lot of aftermarket support and have a solid record of performance. The Browning’s, Howas Rugers and a few other tend to be hit or miss and have less aftermarket support.
I’d pick a 6.5/ .260 or 308 over a 300 for ammo cost, availability, and recoil fatigue. The 6mms have a shorter barrel life for an avid shooter.
Hitting targets at 1K is just fundamentals and math. If you have good fundamentals and a decent platform it’s not a big deal. Optics, rifles, and ammo are light years ahead of where they were 10 years ago.
I’m an avid LR shooter, but not a LR hunter.

Just always hear in these kinds of arguments that If someone shoots an animal at say 500 yards that they aren’t a real hunter. Never mind the fact that he just busted his ass for a week straight humping the mountains from before daylight to after dark. But the guy that shoots one at 100 yards is the real hunter because he was close to his animal. Even though he opened the pickup door and stepped out and shot it
And that was the first time he fired his rifle that year. The guy that burned up 6k rounds shooting out to 1700 yards and has a very capable custom rifle with more money in optics on it and rangefinding equipment than most people have in hunting equipment is unethical.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back