MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

reccomend a bow for a rookie???

californiacoyotes

can someone reccomend a bow for me. i have never shot a bow and have NO idea what to look for or what i need. how heavy should the raw be? and what is considered a good group? i plan to use the bow for bear when i am ready. (it's sort of a long story as to how i have come to look into getting a bow)

Best bow for you is the one that feels good to you and that you can afford. If you aren't sure that this is something that you want to get into full fledged, that are some VERY GOOD midlevel bows that are very affordable and good performers. Best suggestion that I can make is to go to the local archery store, one that specializes in archery or at least has a pro-shop and have them help you out. Reflex makes a Bighorn Hunter package that comes with everything that you need to go hunting except a release(if you intend on using one)and you can get them from Cabelas for $200. I have shot one of these a few times and it seemed like a good bow. But, check with the local archery store they should be able to help you get started. However, if you just want bow brands I am partial to Martins and Dartons, both companies have mid-level, mid-priced bows that are good. The Dartons I have tried are some of the smoothest drawing bow I have ever pulled back. Good luck with the bear!!

CC,Like 1pointer said the best way right now is go find a archery pro shop. They can tell you what your draw length is,and will have differend Bows that you can handle.
They all feel differend in your hand and there are a number of things you need to decide.
Do you want to shoot fingers or a release?
Whats your draw length.
How much poundage to start with.
Learning your anchor point.
The pro shops will help with all of this.
Another thing you could do is find a range or 3-D shoots in your area. The ones we have here ,it seems that there is always someone new starting and the people have been real helpfull.
As far as shooting in your yard-----it depends on where you live. We cant shoot in our yards where we now live,or in the parks.
We do have indoor ranges and shooting leagues
(but be carefull as there are some strange folks that show up at thoses) ;) ;) Thats how we met moosie LOL
Also check Bow web sites.
Ask alot of questions and if they dont want to help find another shop.
Good Luck ,its really fun.

just found a pro shop 15 minutes from home! fixin to leave and check it out. maybe if this works out,meaning i can accurately shoot a bow(i know practice, practice, practice!!)AND the bear gods are with me next sept. i will get both an east coast AND a west coast bear!!!....but i have a LOOOOONG way to go though!! i'll be though with this third job by the end of janurary and then i can play...oh yeah and practice!!

CC,now that would be cool.
Darn you though,all this talk about bears now you have me wanting one.
Shooting a bow isnt hard,just get good advice on setting it up and go out and have fun.
Ill bet where you live you have alot of options for shooting at 3-Ds or ranges.
Best of luck to you on thoses bears.

thanks 1 pointer!! i just got a cablea's catalog too on monday!! what about draw wieght(i mean poundage, tension)? how much do i need for a bear? and what is considered a group(if you group them, like i said i have NO clue at all about archery). can you practice in your back yard?

i back from the pro shop. kind of surprised how busy they were. never thought archery was that big! so anyway i looked at pse, mathews and hoyt(mt sport). i like the hoyt. the mathews was nice too. it had a wood grip. but seemed a bit heavy to me. and of course i thought of a bunch of questions AFTER i left the place!! seems like mainly picking a bow is a preference thing then anytthing else. here are a couple of my questions i have now.

does the bow need to be adjusted regularly? like the draw wieght or after it is set it just stays? and sights, what are good and what should i stay away from? and since i am just starting out and have never shot a bow should i use the release or just my fingers? seems like the release is a better way to go, but then i am COMPLETELY CLUELESS!!! :D i have never gotten into anything with out knowing something...until now!!

p.s. can you use the arrows ovr and over or will i need to by "ammo" evry time i practice or hunt?

cc

CC,Im pretty new to this archery ,Im sure someone with more experance will be by to help.Where is DKO when we need him.
Ill do the best I can with what I have been told and what works for Steve and I.
Like you found out picking them up and getting a feel is the best way.There are alot of good bows out there in all prices,get what you can afford .(A good friend of ours got a hugh Moose with an old spoad of a bow )LOL so it doesnt HAVE to be top of the line.
I have a high country,Steve shoots a Mathewes,our son shoots something else and had a marten.All do good.
Most start out with a lower weight and work on form and learning to shoot then up the weight as it gets easer.You will be using differend musceles when shooting so you need to build up to it.
Each bow needs to be tuned when new or when changing anything.
We shoot ours and tune when changing from field points to broadheads.
Steve has gotten info.of off web sites that helped him.
Fingers or release---personal choice.
Release--- easer to be consistent with,the ones that shoot with one at the 3-D shoots have higher scores then finger shooters.
Fingers----Steve shoots fingers(not sure why)LOL he says because then he doesnt have to worry about the release breaking .
They have rests that are made for finger shooters

and release shooter because as I have been told ,the arrow leaves the string differend depending on what you use,so some of this stuff has to be matched up to witch way you shoot.
So you
need to tune the bow to what you are going to be shooting.
Sights --personal I think.
We all have differend ones on our bows
So all this is why its best to use a pro shop ,take a list of questions and go back and bug them :D :D
So each person needs to have the bow set up to how and what there are going to be using.
But remember the little blunders are all a part of it-----as long as no one gets there eye poked out ;) ;)

miss mulie i definatley appreciate all your help!! my wife just saw the hoyt brochure i brought home and flipped out...at first!! she said "DON'T NOT BUY ANYTHING!!!!!!!!! everytime brochures start showing up around the house you come home with something new!!" then a bit later she says shave you even shot a bow? you know whta my answer was, but it was HER respose that surprised me!! she says she took archery in high school and was pretty good. we have been married just a bit over 5 years and i just find out she has shot something!!(she don't like guns and won't even hold one let alone shot one)so i say to her well this is something WE can do TOGETHER and she didn't say no...she said after christmas!! but also said she doen't want a compound she wants a recurve. i know what the basic differences(one as pulleys and the other don't)but that is all i know. so i have some learning to do.

what do you know about pse and bear? there are a lot of bear bows for sail on ebay. i figured i'd look there just to window shop. i think i should buy a new one or at leasat one from a pro shop so i don't make any mistakes. thanks again!!!

CC,you just said something I have heard from ALOT of the women I have met.
They dont like the guns but they really get into the bows.I cant count the women I have met at the 3-D shoots that only shoot targets and love it.They tell me its something they all can do together (there are kids as young ( 3 years old shooting)our grandson gets packed around on his dads back in one of those yuppie kid pack frames :D :D and the granddaughter started at age 5 .So now all of us shoot.
You sound like Steve and I Hahahaha,sometimes we scare ourselfs when we go into the sporting goods stores.
Go slow and check it all out,look at as many bows as you can.You might find some shoots you can go look at.
The recurves are getting hot around here.
I dont know much about all the differend bows ,but I wouldnt buy my first one at anywere but a shop that can help you set it up.
CC,Steve just said to tell you to remember--that the most important thing is getting the draw length right,so even if you find a great deal on the net the bow might not fit you.You also need to find your anchor point to get your draw length right .Pro shop will help with all of this.
Dont let them over sell you on your first one.
OH and a set up for the serious target and 3-D shooters is different that what we shoot fro a hunting bow. We shoot our hunting bows at the 3-D shoot.So let them know its for hunting not just targets.
If I have to really mixed up now :eek: :eek: email me and Ill give you our phone # you can call Steve anytime, he can tell you what he knows .
I sure hope your wife gets into it.
As much as I like shooting rifles I dont want to spent the whole weekend out shooting targets BUT I will go for the weekend to shoot 3-Ds. :D :D
Have fun.

CC- Now you have been bitten!! The archery bug is alive and well.

As far as the bows on ebay go, I would stay away from them until you have a little more experience. Plus, as MD said, setting the bow up is the most important and hardest part of the process. If you buy a bow from a pro-shop they will be much more willing to help you set it up. Since you are just starting out I would opt for a release, it is more akin to shooting a gun than fingers. YES, you can use arrows over and over. I have some in my quiver that I bought 4 years ago. As long as they are straight they will shoot. Heck, for fun I have even been known to shoot some bent ones!! :D Best way to pick a draw weight,IMHO, is to pick a weight that you can easily draw while sitting 'indian-style' on the floor. This is a pretty hard position to draw from, but if you can pull the weight like that you will be able to do it easily standing up.

As far as poundage needed to kill a bear, it takes much less than you think. In many states the minimum to hunt big game is 35-40lbs!! With modern equipment anything over 50lbs is plenty, given good shot placement and sharp broadheads.

Glad to hear that your wife wants to try archery!! Just keep the questions coming and I'll help the best I can. Here is a sight with TONS of information on it. Some may be too technical for right now, but just sift though it. http://home.att.net/~sajackson/archery.html

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back