Rebarrel .25-06, twist rate?

nrpate05

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 5, 2015
Messages
2,197
Hey all, I've got a Rem 700 sporter 25-06 that is about ten years old. It's never been a great shooter, but has been adequate. I like the caliber and the rifle, however. I'm considering putting some cash into it and having it rebarreled with a Proof carbon barrel. I don't handload and like the monolithic copper bullets for hunting. The Proof only comes in a 1:7.5 twist compared to the standard 1:10 on the stock barrel. I know the faster twist is optimized for heavier bullets - will this twist be too fast for a 100 grain TTSX bullet?
 
The bullets will hold up fine. Should be able to do well still from a precision standpoint but I'd have a hard time paying for an aftermarket barrel that isn't twisted closer to what I want.
 
I'd definitely go with the faster twist. I don't think you can really overspin a monolithic copper like you can a traditional cup-and-core in terms of max RPMs. You might even think about picking up a 1:7 to shoot the Hammer 127 HHTs.
 
I’m pretty well versed with fast twist 25-06s since I’ve owned 3 now. I’ve shot 75gr V-Max out of a 7.5 twist with no issues. You can go as light as you want with copper bullets with fast twists; they’re always gonna be sturdier than leaded projectiles.
 
Back
Top