Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Real world rifle shooting positions?

Last six shots were whitetail deer. I hunt fairly timbered terrain. 100 yards/kneeling; 100 yards/leaning on tree; 50 yards/offhand; 75 yards/sitting; 30 yards/offhand. One miss too, kneeling at 100 yards up a steep hill. I used to do a bit of 5-position small bore shooting in winter. The one lesson I learned from that is offhand shooting sucks. I try to avoid it unless I have no choice. I think kneeling and leaning against a tree are very handy ways to settle in, even in relatively close range. Hasty sling is also worth practicing.

Mule deer: 240 yards prone over my pack
Coyote: 125 off hand. As the land owner called it "you ass holed him!!!"
Antelope: 88 yards prone over my pack with a cactus in my shooting elbow
Whitetail: using a tree as a rest
Whitetail: sitting in a chair off my knee
Whitetail: gripping a tree muzzleloader on my hand at the tree

AT 250 Prone off bipod
MD 220 sitting off bipod
Elk 50 kneeling elbow on knee
MD 240 sitting of bipod
AT 30 sitting of bipod.

Muley buck, hood of truck, 130 yds, DRT.
Cow elk, sitting, elbows on knees, 150 yds, DRT.
" offhand/no rest, 75 yds, DRT.
" sitting, elbows/knees, 200 yds, ran 75 yd after 1 shot.
" prone/rest on pack, 225 yds, DRT.

I practice often from sitting position, it is very stable when done correctly w sling and you can see over ground cover. Never used bipod or shooting sticks.

Whitetail running about 200 yards prone with my 300 mag
Bear broadside 25 yards off hand 338
Whitetail running 389 yards prone 300 mag
Bear broadside 20 yards 338
Whitetail running about 150 yards shot sitting on but with bipod extended out with 300 mag

This is from 2015-2017 with lots of geese and coyotes in the mix as well

I shoot prone as much as possible, braced on a backpack or off a bipod. My last several shots have been:

Mule deer about 175yds, sitting with my elbow braced on a knee.
Whitetail- about 200yds, sitting, with an extended bipod.
Elk - 13yds, sitting with elbow on knee.
Mule deer - 100yds, prone with rifle over my backpack.

I have always practiced my positions at the range or spur of the moment check & see how stable I can bring it up & in position. Not much off hand anymore if I can help it. Did that for years on deer & pigs with a 30-30 & got real good at finding shooting lanes.
I almost always am kneeling or sitting, on a tripod if possible now. Prone if conditions lend themselves or on my pack.
The comment about most folks not being able to get set up or find a lane is spot on. Why I will not guide anymore.....lol.
Bull last year sitting off tripod @ less than 200.
Cow kneeling off tripod @ 147.
Cow off knees sitting @ 405...longest game shot I have taken.
MD offhand leaning against tree @ 175.
Cow offhand 120 yrds.

Whitetail 150yds out of a hunting stand, so I used the window as a rest. Standing still, so no rush
Mule deer 350yds prone on first shot with a hit right behind the shoulder. He had been walking, but paused for a second. Not super rushed, but I didn't waste any time either. I had to hustle to close about 700 yards prior to the shot. 2nd shot was off hand and a miss, but I found him just over the ridge.
Whitetail 110yds off of shooting sticks while sitting off the ground. No rush
Wild hogs 150ish yards prone. 1st shot was while they were eating, so no rush. Additional shots on the rest of the group was rushed as they were running, but I ended up with 4 total.
Large coyote 120yds kneeling. He was walking slowly.

I normally try to get in as close as I can, sometimes it backfires :p
My last five:
Elk @ 40yds sitting with my elbows on my knees, elk were bedded, had to wait for one to stand up so no rush
Whitetail @ 50yds offhand, I bumped her in the timber & she ran 20yds before stopping for a moment so a bit rushed
Elk @ 315yds, rested on a tree branch, he was running up the other side of the draw and I took the shot when he stopped and turned broadside before going over the top
Mule deer @ 30yds offhand, he walked up to me while I was standing next to the truck looking at other deer out in a farmer's field
Whitetail @ 200yds using shooting sticks, I was sitting in some sage brush in the evening waiting for deer to come out to feed

Carl, do you think if you had to, you could have gotten closer on some of those shots? I'm not questioning your marksmanship - I'm questioning mine. Is it often the case for a western hunter (I'll be in CO) that one needs to take shots beyond 300 yards? I'm hoping to keep it under 300 yards, personally.

Do we think we could get closer? Most of us probably do. There is never a need to hunt at long range, it is a choice we make! I live in the west and pretty open country around here. I've never seen even one shot I had to take. I did take one shot at a bit over 300yds just to say I did it, pretty bad reason for the shot. Other than that one shot, I doubt I've ever shot over 200 yds more than a couple times! The only shot you'd need to take is at a charging deadly animal at 30' or less!

As for position's, most the shots I have ever took were from a sitting position. Next kneeling and very seldom a standing shot. I'd prefer prone shooting but normally brush gets in the way!

Just last year, 2017.

-cow elk 150 yards prone rested on a small rock pile.
-cow elk 150 yards, prone over backpack
-bull elk 387 yards, prone over backpack
-bull elk 260 yards, sitting shooting off pack steep downhill
-pronghorn buck 256 yards prone rested on lowest wire of barbed wire fence against a t-post.
-whitetail buck 367 yards prone off pack
-whitetail buck 301 yards prone off pack

No misses, all one shot kills...nothing rushed on any of them.

Last edited:
In 2017.
Pronghorn at about 125 yards prone.
Elk walking at about 225 yards, sitting off-hand.
Whitetail about 50 yards off-hand.

In 2016.
Elk at 160 yards kneeling.
Mule deer at 455 yards sitting off shooting sticks.

I try to use trees anytime possible, even for close shots. Most of the time it’s at moving targets.

In open country situations I almost always am carrying shooting sticks in my pack. Sometimes the grass is too high to easily shoot from a prone position. I've found that you can greatly increase stability in sitting shot by resting the fore-arm of the rifle on the shooting sticks and the underside of the but on the top of your frame pack. It is a lot more steady than shooting sticks alone.

Most of my hunting is in fairly thick timber and shots under 100 yds are more common than over 200. I've killed a lot of animals over the years by using a tree branch or gripping the side of a tree.

I always try to apply Jeff Cooper's two KISS rules for the hunting shot: "If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier."

I take the vast majority of my shots from the sitting position and IIRC Jeff Cooper, Jack O'Connor and Duncan Long wrote that they took the largest percentage of their shots sitting as well. Last elk, coyote and deer were sitting, crossed ski poles for the elk and a shooting sling for the rest. Elk was the farthest at 320 yards. I always practice out to 500 yards every year, but in 20-odd years of hunting Montana I can count the 300+ yard shots I've taken on the fingers of one hand. If you're willing to get down and crawl you can almost always close the range. In the long term it seems like even out in the wide-open country after antelope there's usually some sagebrush or something that prevents a prone shot but come to think of it I just happened to get both antelope last year prone, one with the sling (300 yd) and one off a day pack for a rest (250-ish). No one seems to use the shooting sling anymore, and it does indeed take practice, but I've used it for so long it's like second nature for me and rock steady, but I'll take any improvised rest that's handy too. I also agree with the old-time gun writers that it's worth trading fifty extra yards range for a solid rest. Just remember to put something soft between the stock and the rest. I virtually never shoot off-hand; there always seems to be time to take a knee at least. I got my wife a pair of shooting sticks and she absolutely loves them since she's kind of short and usually has to use the kneeling rather than actual sitting position.

Last one was 1. 230 yards kneeling using small tree/limb for rest Whitetail doe ran 20 yards AR SPR
2. 220 Yards kneeling with shooting sticks for rest Whitetail Doe DRT AR SPR
3. 110 Yards sitting rested in blind Whitetail doe Whitetail Doe Ran 75yrds AR SPR
4. 30 yards Sitting in Blind rested Whitetail Doe Ran ran 20 yards AR SPR
5. 378 Yards Sitting Rested on Sticks Doe Antelope DRT 270 Win

I try to get as close as I can, and prefer to shoot prone and with a rest if I can. I think my last shot prone with a rest was a Dagestan Tur in Azerbaijan at 327 yards with my .300 Wby using my coat folded over a rock for a rest.

The last caribou that I shot was about a 100 yard shot with my 7 mm RM lying prone with my front hand resting on a rock.

The last two bull elk that I shot were one at about 100 yards and one at 175 yards with my .300 Wby, standing behind a tree and using the tree trunk and a limb to support my front hand.

In Africa the guides (Professional Hunters) carry either two or three leg shooting sticks for their clients. I have my own three leg sticks that I use for practice at home. I prefer the three legs sticks, and if possible, I rest my right elbow on my guides shoulder of against a tree. I also have a set of three leg 40" Trigger sticks that make a great rest for shooting from a sitting position. I think the last animal that I shot with these was an eastern Montana pronghorn antelope shot at a little over 200 yards with my .257 Ackley.

Although I practice standing shots both with my CF rifles at the range and with my pellet gun at home, I only take a standing shot at game if I don't have time to get into a steadier position, and only if the animal is within about 50 yards of me. I have shot a few deer and elk from standing shots but they were less than 50 yard shots on animals that I had jumped in the timber.
I think that the last animal that I shot from a standing position was a treed mountain lion abut 10 yards away that I shot with my .30-30.

Hmmm, last 5 shots in the field...
Whitetail doe, 250 yards standing using tree.
Black bear, 178 yards standing free hand. Unfortunately lost bear. Realized later that shooting session previous was long range & i forgot to reset my knobs to zero.
Coyote, 125 yards, sitting using knees.
Whitetail doe, 415 yards sitting using stool & backpack as bench.
Whitetail doe, 256 yards prone. Only time i've ever been able to use prone in the field.

Last 5 rifle shots were whitetails. 1. Two deer walking slowly 115 yards from tree stand. Had two tags and time to set up. Using shooting rail Dropped the first one but rushed the second shot and hit middle of the animal. About 5-10 mins later the second deer walked back searching for the first one and I dropped it. 2. Slowly worked an aspen clear cut regrowth that funneled to a creek crossing. When I could see the creek a buck was walking across, body obscured by bank. Head shot 35 yards awfulhand, a few seconds to set up. 3. Slowly working another thick regrowth. Deer stood up from its bed. Awfulhand 50 yards a few seconds to set up.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back