Re-introduce wolves "back east"

Jack O'Conner

The sparsley populated states of WY, MT, and North & South Dakota have but one single representitive in Congress each. Its easy for the states with dozens of representitives to pick on us. That's what this wolf gig is all about-Power and committee positions.

I suggest re-introduce wolves to eastern states such as CT, MASS, NY, NJ, VA. How about Ohio? These states previously held wolf populations. Let's re-introduce wolves to these states. But the howling will likely come from soccer Moms instead of wolf packs.
Jack
wink.gif

Heck Jack we already got wolves here in the East. Haven't you ever heard of the Eastern Brush Wolf? Thats what we call those 60 pound coyotes that turn up every once in awhile.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Doug

fddcb523.jpg

It is highly unlikely they would ever reintroduce wolves back into Ohio because we lack the large blocks of wilderness they require. It is the same reason why they won't reintroduce elk .
I would take the wolves if we got the elk also.

btw the last documented wolf kill in Ohio was in 1842.

But like Doug showed you we have plenty of coyotes.

I think the activists are trying to get the wolf back in Maine,Vermont and New York. I think there is a species in the Smokey Mountains also.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I suggest re-introduce wolves to eastern states such as CT, MASS, NY, NJ, VA. How about Ohio? These states previously held wolf populations. Let's re-introduce wolves to these states. But the howling will likely come from soccer Moms instead of wolf packs.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
HAHAHAHAHEHEHEHEHEHAHAHAHAHA!!!!This would be great..But it would never happen for the same fact as you have said, it is the old adage, "Not in my back yard". I think griz should also be put on the list to go east. You know the deer populations are out of control and such a nice fuzzy bunch of creatures would be a welcome site back in the suburbs of those states east of the Mississippi!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Heres another eastern"coyote".One of my hunters shot this last month in Maine in front of my hounds.Looks more like an eastern brush wolf doesnt it???
0f3f0110.jpg

These Eastern Coyotes can weigh up to 65 lbs. We've had lots of them in Vermont for many years. I often hear them howling when I'm visiting family there.

Actually, they're not that much different from a wolf.

LOL Bill......When the snow gets deep and food gets scarce, coyotes have been known to pack up and shift their focus to bigger game thats more available. If George runs hounds I'm sure he has a good handle on how big the coyote family unit is in the cold winter months.
wink.gif

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> it is the old adage, "Not in my back yard". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's why Red Wolves have been returned to some of their historic range in TN and SC!!!
footinmouth.gif
Or maybe because the eastern states are sending too much of their tax money to western states!
tongue.gif
Things have been re-introduced and historic populations preserved. Check out about the aforementioned Red Wolf and the Florida Panther. Western states aren't the only ones experiencing proactive animal conservation.

We dont see the coyotes in big packs around here.The #1 food for coyotes here is deer.More so in the winter but all year as well.They also take a decent amount of moose.There is no rhyme or reason to how they run when we chase them with hounds.some will flat out run straight and others will cicle like a rabbit,although its a bigger cicrle.One thing they always do in deep snow.When the hounds push them hard they will head for snowmachine trails.Thats about %100 guarenteed.We try and post up shooters to cover trail intersections.Dogs will be running in the woods and the coyotes will hit a trail because its packed and is easy going.They can really make time on a dog there.Its easy for the dogs to lose them in the trails too.We hunt in thick big woods around here.no farm country or fields.Its a lot harder to kill them in this terrain.If you get 4 or 5 shooters though,and a coyote track going into a piece and not coming out,a snowmachine trail around it,you are in business !!Usually its only 1 or 2 shooters so they can slip away.
I am hunting a lot in the next few weeks,guiding coyote hunters.I will try and post some pictures of how we do.

They will never re-introduce Wolves here in New Jersey, we have a big enough predator problem, bigger than wolves. LAWYERS. You guys don't have enough out there. We are trying to get some transplanted.

Back