Rattling for whitetails

Northwoods

Does rattling actually work? I know it works on TV by electric feeders but does it work in the woods? I’m looking for real stories of rattling successes. I did some rattling this weekend and on two separate occasions a small buck walked by 20 to 30 minutes later. I can’t verify if that was from banging two old antlers together though.

I've rattled in a ton of whitetails. However, the largest deer I've rattled at turned and ran from it. Just depends on the individual deer, some are fighters some aren't.

I can say it definitely works...sometimes. I had a few spots that I would almost always rattle in a buck or two every year. And then I have tried other places, equally deery looking, and never rattled in a buck despite trying every year. I don’t know why there were spots I could historically rattle in bucks and others I could not, but I have had enough success that it is a hunting method I will continue to use.

One of the coolest hunts I ever had was an archery hunt from the ground in which rattling was involved. I hid behind a log, before hiding I hung vest on a tree branch behind the log to act as sort of a blind. My brother rattled and thrashed around in the woods. He jumped behind the log to wait with me. We weren’t there 3 minutes and a buck came storming through the woods. Unfortunately he was behind us and in the mountain laurel he got close enough before we saw him that moving for a shot wasn’t an option, and it happened quick enough neither of us had time to do anything but look over our shoulder. As he came closer it was obvious he was looking for a fight. He was walking stuff legged and his hair was all standing up. The left side of his rack was broken off and the points on his right side broken too. He actually charged my vest and skidded to a stop about 2 yards from us when he realized the vest wasn’t a deer. He turned and bolted. The entire encounter lasted 15 seconds maybe, but rattling worked that day. That was a big wood mountain buck 3 miles from any private ground. It doesn’t always work like that though.

As others have said, rattling absolutely works...sometimes. Right buck in the right mood on the right piece of ground. I rattled in 3 bucks Sunday morning in a snow storm. 2 were mature and came in hard. So, mature bucks, probably few if any does in estrous, relatively undisturbed deer, does had gone into the cover early with the storm and the bucks were just out cruising. May not work as well next weekend when the rut is closer to the peak. This buck came in to 10 yds within 30 seconds of rattling.

Attachments

• BD0D0C6A-324A-4FEE-A10E-10C96CE983A9.jpeg
    BD0D0C6A-324A-4FEE-A10E-10C96CE983A9.jpeg
    499.9 KB · Views: 22
Biggest buck I've ever rattled in and not gotten too rattled myself. IME the key to rattling is having a spot with a high ratio of bucks to does and a good number of mature bucks. Not easy to find. Also, rattle loud. I use big, heavy antlers I sawed off a mount I bought at a pawn shop. If your forearms don't hurt when you're done, you're not rattling loud enough. I do some "pre-function" sounds like snapping twigs and shuffling leaves before hitting the horns. Still, I only see deer a small fraction of the time I rattle. But when it works, oh boy.

I've had more luck grunting than rattling. The biggest factor is the deer's attitude. I typically only call or rattle when I see the deer, but do blind calling at times. Most seem to pay no mind while others are very interested and come in easily. The more you try calling and see it work, the more confident you become with it.

It’s really the same question as, can you call elk? or decoy antelope? Yes, when conditions are right. Just don’t expect results every time. Don’t give up either. It’s very rewarding when it works.

I blind rattle, but if I see the deer first, I'm using my call, and if it's during the rut, a snort wheeze. I've had the best success bringing in bucks with snort wheezes. The animals I've rattled in close have been does and coyotes.

Some things to keep in mind for rattling
-use big, hefty antlers. Small antlers don't carry the sound very well.
-if they're bleached white, paint them a dull tone so the deer can't see them as easily (I got busted by a doe this year that saw the dangling white beams)
-round off sharp points so you don't poke yourself or poke holes in your gear
-if your backpack hunting, consider a rattle bag to save on space and weight
-you're better off using them in thicker cover, to create the illusion that two deer are close, but out of view. Deer are very skilled at pinpointing sounds. They look where the sound is, and if they see no deer there, they're more likely to hang up.

IMO there's a reason why rattling can work so well in private land TX hunting: brushy cover, high buck:doe ratio, lots of mature bucks in the same area. A significant majority of whitetail country does NOT meet these criteria, and rattling may be a lot less successful there.

Alot of great comments here.
Yep, keep after it until you find the deer that responds. Ninja tactics apply, bucks either race in or sneak. I have had bucks silently come in from behind and others damn near run over me from the front.( I hunt mostly on the ground).
Worth mentioning, if you have a good vantage looking over deer ground,late season rattling may not bring them running but might get a mature buck to stick his head out and expose himself.
Whole bunch of fun.

I used to love rattling in whitetails, what a blast my dad and I used to have. So aggressive...frothing at the mouth when they come in. Definitely a technique not to be overlooked.

It can work but we like to say if you have to pull out the antlers it's a slow sit. I really don't like to rattle or call in anyway unless it's to a buck I can see and I don't believe he's going to come my way on his own. The best case scenario is to be in a location they can't actually see into the area you're calling from with our coming close enough to be in range. It's also nice to be in a location they can't circle downwind, which many will do. Sure, you'll get some to come charging in when things are going crazy in the woods but my personal experience is they're usually young and dumb.

Just the other night I had a possible shooter out about 100 yards. I waited until he turned away and then grunted at him. because of topography he could'nt see the ground around my stand. He came just about as far as he had to to see the area and when he could not see any deer he lost interest.

It also depends on pressure in the area and how educated they've become. Plus right now the majority of does are in heat and they don't really have to fight.

It also could be all the bucks in your area are wimps.

ismith, I have rattled in mule deer bucks (and bighorns) on Wild Horse Island. I've not had luck with it in hunting scenarios but I know people who have done it. However, the entire rut and social structure of mule deer is different that WTD so I'm sure there are differences too. Mulies tend to be very vocal IMO and I have called them into very close range both with my mouth and calls. My best mulie buck is a 27-incher that I called in making fawn bleats on a cow elk call. I shot him at 25 yards and he would have stepped on me if I had not stopped him. This was in October, several weeks before peak rut.

Back