Rattlesnakes in Montana.

Hi all.

New GSP pup in the house and have been itching to get him out to start experiencing wild birds, even if I’m not hunting them. 5 months old so definitely has no experience with snake avoidance. At what point in the fall would you consider rattlesnake risk something to not worry about with him? We are in SW Montana, Townsend, if that helps.

Thank you all!

Dan

Attachments

• 48443CF5-C2D0-4DA1-B572-B054C99C6928.jpeg
    48443CF5-C2D0-4DA1-B572-B054C99C6928.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
I'm at the South end of Broadwater. Usually by now snakes are in the vicinity of their den. This clears out alot of area.
I get more comfortable hunting my dog from here on out. That said, they are still out and about. I have encountered rattlers in to the second week of November in the Elkhorns. I think the grasslands are a safer bet then up in slightly higher rocky areas.

Cool pic.
Eastern Montana isn't SW Montana.
Big state, mountains/high plains vs prairie.

Not sure what kind of uptight snakes you have down in Three Forks, but up here in Lewis & Clark and Broadwater counties (I live in Helena), our snakes are pretty mellow, and they don't use calendars or maps. They just hang out near rocks, and sometimes a creek or something. And they do so well into October.

Not sure what kind of uptight snakes you have down in Three Forks, but up here in Lewis & Clark and Broadwater counties (I live in Helena), our snakes are pretty mellow, and they don't use calendars or maps. They just hang out near rocks, and sometimes a creek or something. And they do so well into October.
Try reading my first post on this thread.🤣

Definitely run him through snake avoidance training next year. I think it was late October one year when I saw one on the Johnny Gulch road above Wall Creek.

Definitely run him through snake avoidance training next year. I think it was late October one year when I saw one on the Johnny Gulch road above Wall Creek.
Snake avoidance is a crapshoot - my dogs were back to harassing snakes three days after training. But much better than the "snake oil" of the 'vaccination'.

Snake avoidance is a crapshoot - my dogs were back to harassing snakes three days after training. But much better than the "snake oil" of the 'vaccination'.
It certainly depends on the dog. My draht took one time. My buddy’s dog took three.

Curious...did you have a vaccinated dog get bitten, and then die?
What is the basis for your comment ?

All 3 of my dogs have gotten tagged in the last couple years. All the dogs have been up to date on the rattlesnake vaccine. None of my dogs died. Maybe they would have been fine without it but it's only a $20 shot

Curious...did you have a vaccinated dog get bitten, and then die?
What is the basis for your comment ?
Hem, do your internet homework on the vaccination. It was developed using venom from Eastern Diamondback and not generally useful across species. Or at any rate it's effectiveness on bites from other species is hotly debated. More importantly, the lab that developed it was shown to have doped the test results proving its effectiveness. From everything I've read and heard, the avoidance class is your best bet. As above mentioned, the results can vary according to dog (and avoidance instructor) but generally it seems to work well, especially with most hunting breeds.

I had a Lab get bit once in November on a cold moonlit night. Very freaky. I suspect I stepped on the snake walking around a rockpile on the way back to the vehicle. Pearl was right next to me. She was sick for a while but came out of it okay. Three separate overnights at the vets. My host's coworker was bit the same night when loading firewood. It can happen even late in the year ... but very unusual.

I hunt Montana Hi Line every year from end of October to first week in December and have actually only seen one rattler, a big one in a rancher's driveway. On hot days I hunt birds early in the morning or just before dark. Or stick to hunting wet low areas if I'm out during heat of the day.

A tip passed on to me by a guy from the Midwest who competes in field trials: always carry Benedryl in your hunting vest. If your dog gets bit, especially if bit in the face, shove four or five pills down its craw immediately. Allergic reaction probably kills as many dogs as the venom. Also, keep a local vet's number in your phone so you can call him/her immediately. Antivenom is very expensive and has a short shelf life so many vets don't keep any on hand. They may need to fly it in (= $$$!). So vet needs to know ASAP you're on your way in.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back