MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Ranking 10 Common Bolt Action Hunting Rifles Under $750

Depending on intended use, but since you are starting out I assume you'll be using factory ammo. My recommendation for big game would be 243 (if the emphasis is on deer sized critters), 6.5 Creedmoor, 270, and 308. If just generally shooting the 223 Rem is the top choice IMO and is great for varmints/predators and when twisted right/correct bullets selected will work fine on deer/antelope.

Edited to add, I'm very happy with the Tikka T3 I have. Any new rifles they will likely be a first look for me.

...a 700 is, IMO, the perfect canvas.
When I bought I couldnt find everything I wanted in a bolt gun. So knowing that I was going to customize I went with a 700 xcr2. Seemed the best selection of aftermarket parts.
Starting over I might choose to go with a Tikka If I was looking to stay under or around $750. I think I would be very happy with one. Its certainly on the short list for a light to midweight 7mm08.

This is awesome and very fortuitously timed for me. I only have 1 rifle, a .30-06 Browning A-bolt that I got 18 years ago. I'm starting to look for another rifle in the 6-6.5 mm range and have been seriously pondering the .243 vs. .25-06. I don't want to spend X-bolt $$ on this rifle yet but I'm also insanely picky about some features (e.g. tang safety is a must). Been out of the game for so long this is really helpful to learn the landscape again. Leaning towards an AB3 at the moment. Thanks for posting and reviving this thread!

Ive only used a few of these. Partial to Remingtons and mdl 70s. That being said I bought a B14 man bun about 5 years ago for a truck gun. Mounted a left over VX3 on it and took it to the range with the grandson. Damn thing shot well under an MOA with factory 140s, handloads even better. Paid about 500.00 for it. Grandson took it deer hunting and wont give it back!

This is awesome and very fortuitously timed for me. I only have 1 rifle, a .30-06 Browning A-bolt that I got 18 years ago. I'm starting to look for another rifle in the 6-6.5 mm range
I bought a Savage 110 Hunter in 6.5 CM almost a year ago now. I really like it and it is more accurate than I am. I like the adjustable stock quite a bit. I have it set up for my 12 year old son right now with a shorter pull and a higher comb. The only gripe I have about it is the magazine. It feels like the metal is a bit thin for my tastes.

I bought a Savage 110 Hunter in 6.5 CM almost a year ago now. I really like it and it is more accurate than I am. I like the adjustable stock quite a bit. I have it set up for my 12 year old son right now with a shorter pull and a higher comb. The only gripe I have about it is the magazine. It feels like the metal is a bit thin for my tastes.
I have a 110 Hunter in 6.5 Manbun too. Mine had the standard ejection issue so bought and installed the ejector upgrade kit. I have every intention of putting a Magpul 110 Hunter stock on it when they become available.

How do you rank a rifle at #2 that you have no experience with?
Because I have a buddy I respect on gun matters who has that and a tikka and said it is almost as good - 1A and 1B in his opinion. That's the beauty of listening to others - we can know more than we have experienced. And we are 135 posts in and that placement has not been seriously questioned - so that likely matches the experiences of others too.

I wonder how the CVA Cascade would compare. I have not shot one but they seem to be a well put together firearm and maybe a better entry than the T/C Compass.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they were worthy of a #3 or #4 spot on the list.

Because I have a buddy I respect on gun matters who has that and a tikka and said it is almost as good - 1A and 1B in his opinion. That's the beauty of listening to others - we can know more than we have experienced. And we are 135 posts in and that placement has not been seriously questioned - so that likely matches the experiences of others too.
So you mentioned a number od rifles you haven't shot and left them off the list because of it but, the Begara is an exception? I've never even seen a Begara much less shot one but I hear good things about it too. But it's #2 on your list because someone said it should be? Not doubting your buddy, not a clue who he is but this was not his list. Lot of guy's are really hung up on different rifles other's wouldn't have!

So you mentioned a number od rifles you haven't shot and left them off the list because of it but, the Begara is an exception? I've never even seen a Begara much less shot one but I hear good things about it too. But it's #2 on your list because someone said it should be? Not doubting your buddy, not a clue who he is but this was not his list. Lot of guy's are really hung up on different rifles other's wouldn't have!
The point of this list was to help relative newcomers simplify their rifle choices. The list was offered as opinion, not fact, and frankly is fairly consistent with other evaluations of these guns elsewhere and seems fairly consistent with the views of many on this site. But if one person’s #2 is my #7 or vise versa, who cares - just add that opinion to the thread.

On the other hand your odd “gotcha” argument makes no sense and adds ZERO value to the intended recipients. But it is consistent with most of your content on this forum. You always vaguely criticize other posters but almost never add valuable content of your own. If you would like to make you own top 10 list, please do so. If you would like to critique one of the ones on my list, please do so. But if you are just making odd and unhelpful “get off my lawn” comments please move along and allow this post to serve its purpose.

Last edited:
Back