Rangefinder Scopes

ChrisC

I see that the topic of rangefinding binoculars is brought up often, and that several manufacturers make them. However, i dont hear much about rangefinding scopes. a quick Google search shows that Burris makes one but I don't typically hear anything about this. I'd imagine it could be useful if, say, you are watching a buck run around with some does and, as a result, his range keeps changing.

I'm no expert but they are few and far between. Also, I'm sure they are expensive. I don't mind having a separate range finder. Its an art to maneuver your gear according to the animal's movement but it's part of the dance!

Sig has one that connects via bluetooth to your phone, which has your ballistic data entered into it and then gives you a dot for your hold over.

There has to be a line when it comes to technology and hunting. I am ok with a range finding binocular or scope, but not one that gives you a point of aim after collecting the range.

I mean if you are going there why take an active part in the shooting of the rifle at all... I mean shooting a elk running at 20mph 1400 yards out with a heads up display, great way to bag your booner...
https://www.tracking-point.com/

In all seriousness I use my rangefinder for archery, and to keep me honest when rifle hunting. I don't shoot beyond my MPBR, which is a personal limit there are lots of others people who can ethically shoot much further. In my case if I range a buck at 180 and he chases a doe out to 250 I'm not adjusting my point of aim that much so to me it doesn't really matter. I imagine if a deer is far enough out that 20-40 yards really matters, and is chasing does and therefore moving you don't want to shoot simply because of bullet flight time. Maybe that's not an issue, like I said I'm not shooting 800 yards at animals.

Swarovski has a new dS Scope 5x25 x 52, complete digital adjustment based on synced up data. For the low low cost of $4,495. It won’t take long for states to outlaw these. When you can’t use Luma Nocks in MT for fear of giving too much advantage to the hunter, these will be outlawed in no time.

Actually, Redfield made 2 different rangefinding scopes.
The Revolution, with the circle around the crosshair.
And the Revenge.
I have the 4-12X40 Revenge with Varmint reticle. Has marks for 8"(gopher), 16" (belly to back of whitetail deer), and 25" (belly to back of elk, or ground to back on coyote).
Ranges accurate enough for hunting purposes.
Ranging is done with zoom function. Once ranged, turn to 12 power and use BDC holdover.
Matches 139gr SST/ 140gr Ballistic Tip from 7mm-08 pretty well.
Would only go to 600 yards.
Sight in for it is recommended at 200 yards.

Liked it well enough that i bought a second one. It resides on my 257 Roberts, and holdover matches 100gr. Ballistic Tip pretty well.

Lot's of new rangfinder/scope functions coming out. I was playing with one at the SHOT show that the rangefinder and scope bluetoothed together and when you ranged a target a little red dot popped up in the scope for your direct holdover. It was pretty slick. Legal in all states?? Probably not, and i really don't know if the Leupold firedot would be as well.

Schmalts,
That wasn't the Sig optics, was it?
Have seen advertisements about that already.

I'll check them out at the Harrisburg, PA show next Sunday.

Schmalts,
That wasn't the Sig optics, was it?
Have seen advertisements about that already.

I'll check them out at the Harrisburg, PA show next Sunday.

Yes it was. please PM me to let me know what your thoughts are on it.

I mean if you are going there why take an active part in the shooting of the rifle at all... I mean shooting a elk running at 20mph 1400 yards out with a heads up display, great way to bag your booner...
https://www.tracking-point.com/

In all seriousness I use my rangefinder for archery, and to keep me honest when rifle hunting. I don't shoot beyond my MPBR, which is a personal limit there are lots of others people who can ethically shoot much further. In my case if I range a buck at 180 and he chases a doe out to 250 I'm not adjusting my point of aim that much so to me it doesn't really matter. I imagine if a deer is far enough out that 20-40 yards really matters, and is chasing does and therefore moving you don't want to shoot simply because of bullet flight time. Maybe that's not an issue, like I said I'm not shooting 800 yards at animals.

I'm a max point blank range shooter too. 300 yds is my limit on any big game. Imagine your out hunting and the battery goes bad in the scope, now what? I have a range finder but seldom carry it hunting. When I do I use it to measure different spot's around where I'm sitting, that's about it. It does work pretty well measuring distance to the target when I'm out just shooting!

If you only rifle hunt and have one primary weapon, a Burris Eliminator makes a lot of sense...in fact it's a no brainer. But if you have multiple firearms or archery hunt, it makes more sense to have a separate laser range finder.

Swaro also just came out with one at Shot Show (the ds I think), but it is big (40 mm tube), heavy, and crazy expensive ($5,000). I imagine the tech will keep improving and we will see more and more of these. The question will be whether state legislatures and DWR departments accept or reject them.

https://www.swarovskioptik.com/hunting/rifle-scopes-c2005

Probably great and fun to use but I go with simple single fuction , best I can afford items. So I went with leica range finder, Swaro binos and Leupold VX3 variable duplex scopes. I think I made the right decision for my purposes. I do use my iphone for a gps , phone , weather radar and camera. LOL.

Back