Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Rangefinder for archery and rifle shooting out to 500 yards

FMAG

My rangefinder (Nikkon riflehunter 550) doesn't reliably range things past about 350 yards. So I want to replace it with a rangefinder that can range a deer out to 600 yards (my max shooting would be 400-500 yards) and also be suitable for archery. I saw there are some archery rangefinders that help you determine if the arrow will hit a branch but don't know if that's a gimmick or a very useful feature. Thanks for the advice

Leupold RX Draw, or some iteration of that. Mine is the 850 and it's very reliable out to that range. I especially like the compact size. I also like the high visibility yardage display on the Vortex models, just haven't felt the need to switch for that at this point.

Shoot, I don't believe I could hit a deer at 500 yds with a bow. Damn, I doubt I could hit the barn that far off! :)

Vortex 1300 would be a good option, and they offer a life time warranty which is massively appealing to me. I looked into Leopold, but got nervous when many people said the display died after it was out of warranty. I think Sig also has a life time warranty?

Vortex 1300 would be a good option, and they offer a life time warranty which is massively appealing to me. I looked into Leopold, but got nervous when many people said the display died after it was out of warranty. I think Sig also has a life time warranty?

I own the Vortex 1300 and I am very pleased with it. So far no issues. It was a replacement for a Leupold 750 which I still have and is nice. The big reason I purchased the vortex was that it has the display and reticle illuminated (You just can't beat it during early morning and late evening). Unless I loose the thing I don't have a care in the world. Anything goes wrong and Vortex will fix/replace or upgrade for free. No questions asked.

Comparing the Leupold and the Vortex mentioned:

obviously the Leupold is older but still works perfect (5yrs now??? Maybe longer). Leupold is definitely larger. Leupold and it's menu/setup is in my opinion more complicated. Vortex menu is simple and easy to use, lit reticle & display, smaller, lighter. Both are 6x fixed power units, both have angle compensation/TBR. Oddly enough both units cost about the same price even when I purchased the leupold several years back. Not sure how leupold would handle a warranty issue as I have never had to send any of my Leupold items back but I suspect they would have no problem fixing, replacing or upgrading a broken unit???

For my older eyes the lit reticle and display of the vortex really gets the nod and is the primary reason I purchased it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many good rangefinders for that range, that also will not cause too much damage to your wallet.
Sig, Vortex, Nikon jump to mind.
If you don't need angle distance, i would suggest another option.
SA Sports Dragoneyez 1500.
Got off Amazon for price of a 600 yard rangefinder.
I have ranged deer out to 1,160 yards.
Really hard to hold steady at that distance! Lol
I've been using mine for the past 3 years with zero issues.

Just another option.

Leupold RX1300i TBR - I've used it for one season, but so far I've been happy with it.

I am a big fan of Leupold. However, there is room for improvement on my RX-1200i.

It is hard to get use to all of the functions thru the menu. It also is too bright at low light conditions. It tends to blind me and make it hard to get the crosshairs on target. You loose your natural “night vision” briefly while your eye has to redialate.

I also have had mine go intermittently dead. Pull the battery put it back in and it then works. I sent it in for a warranty claim and they tested it and sent it back without ever talking to me. So I have the same intermittent problem with no fix except pulling the battery.
Maybe I got a lemon, but it didn’t settle well for 26 dollars shipping just to have it sent right back.

I have a Nikon as well. It's terrible at long distances....I don't even use it for rifle hunting. Just bought a Sig and am very impressed so far.

I have a Sig with the BDX although I haven't bought the corresponding scope. No complaints whatsoever with the rangefinder.

I've been using a Leica for a few years and I lika a lot. My buddies have been using Sigs recently and that's what my next one will be, but not priority on my want list at this point.

I have a Vortex 1000 & want to upgrade to a Sig now.....
Like the Vortex red reading but hate the bounce you get past 400 yrds without a brace. It is also only really good to 800 yrds....

Hmmm, so we'll just overlook the rangefinder that reads on animals beyond 700 yards, and is 1/2 the price, because it's not a "brand" name?

About that thread on high priced toys....

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back