Range finding reticles

CHILEAN-HUNTER

For the past couple of years Nebraska has allowed scopes on your ML rifles, at first i used the traditional 3-9x40 with the duplex cross-hair.

My new rifle is a Traditions so i decided to get their range finding scope 3-9x40, it is only for 100g of powder with a 250g bullet and marked 50,100,150,200 yards (((i had to get it on line from Sportsmans guide because Traditons were sold out or discontinued, for $30 it was worth a try!!!!))

This worked very well, I sighted in at 50 then 100 and it shot great, then i shot a two shot group out at 150 and bang in the middle.

Do most of you use duplex cross-haired scopes or do you use range finding or bdc reticles, and which scope makes do you use, or do you even have the same set up that i do????

because this was an experiment, so far so good but later who knows what my super duper scope will do!!!

your info is appreciated.

Last edited:
I have the Leupold LR Duplex reticle on a couple scopes. For about $30 extra it does give you more options than a duplex. I'm reasonably confident to 400, sometimes 500 on big game with it, depending on the rifle.

I prefer turrets for long range work, but the best turreted scopes are expensive and heavy. If I had to shoot long with just a reticle, I'd prefer one set up like a MLR or TMR, from Nightforce and Leupold.

We're not allowed scopes on smokepoles in WA so I'm not sure about those, but a good BDC reticle seems useful a few of my friends have them and like them alot. I still have the standard duplex in mine other than a turrets on my 22-250 and don't have much trouble with holdover. I think it just comes down to how much you shoot and how confident you are with the weapon. Then you choose whichever reticle is going to be best for you and your hunting situations.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back