Range finding binoculars, Yeah or Nay?

Range finding binoculars, Yeah or Nay?

• I own a pair of range finding binoculars and love them.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • I purchased a pair of range finding binoculars and didn't love them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've tried out a pair of range finding binoculars but didn't buy them.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • I've never seen the need for the combo.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • What a stupid poll. Buy whatever you want.

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

npaden

Been a while since we had the poll fest so I thought I would try one.

I've been playing with the idea of getting a pair of range finding binoculars for several years now but never seem to be able to pull the trigger on a pair. I have a late season Arizona elk tag this year and I'm thinking my 11 year old Nikon rangefinder isn't going to cut it. I can get a range out to about 400 yards and that's as far as I'm comfortable shooting, but I think I may need to get some longer ranges to know how far I need to close the gap on that hunt with the canyons I most likely will be finding the bulls in.

I'm either going to buy a new rangefinder (probably a Sig Kilo 2200) or I'm going to upgrade my binoculars to a pair of range finding binoculars (probably a pair of Leicia HD-B 2200).

For those of you who have switched to the range finding binoculars was it worth it? Can't imagine going back to 2 separate items?

Really looking for input from people who have tried them. Would love to hear any comments from people that have used them.

Thanks, Nathan

Last edited:
I've played with them. I prefer the compactness of my range finder. Never needed magnification when ranging. Plus, I see the size being an issue during bow season and have 10x binos trying to figure out if it is 25 or 45 yards. Price alone made me not dwell on it too long. My uncle who is older and only rifle hunts bought them and likes them, but that is all he does.

My issue would be that binos are very expensive to the point that for some they are a once in a lifetime purchase whereas rangefinders are electronic and therefore probably won't last a lifetime.

Maybe if you were in the market for a less than special pair of binoculars like my current ones it would make sense.

Last edited:
They’re pretty sweet when rifle hunting. In a perfect world I would have a pair of Geovid HD-B and regular EL’s.

The idea is good but the price is BAD!! I'll stay with the separate binocular and range finder. Well until I win the lottery LOL

Dan

Yeah, they had some for $1,500 this summer but they sold all of those. Camofire has them sometimes for $1,800.

I have been looking around at my options.

There is a pair of EL Range 8 x 42's for sale used on Rokslide for $2,000. I have a pair of 8 X 42 binoculars though and always find myself wishing for just a little more magnification. Don't think I could spend $2k on some 8X binos.

Camofire has a couple pair of the Leica 10x42 HD-R Type 403 for $1,800. They do everything the HD-B's do except calculate the holdover or clicks for you.

EuroOptics has the cheapest Leica 10x42 HD-B 2200 I can find. They are $2,000. They do the full ballistics calculation for you and will give you holdover or clicks needed.

CameraLandNY doesn't have any demos now but said they would put me on the list. Last time they had them the HD-R Type 403's were $1,500 and the HD-Bs were $1,800 I think.

Not sure the ballistics calculator is worth $200 for the price difference in the HD-B vs. HD-R Type 403.

Right now my self imposed range on deer sized animals is 300 yards and 400 yards on elk. Don't really need a fancy ballistics calculator for that. It might be something I may want in the future though I guess.

All of the above are a pocketful of change.

This doesn't answer your question, but that new sig scope/rangefinder combo that syncs with each other and illuminates your reticle seems pretty cool.

I want a pair. They are larger. My dad just got the Leica geovids. For hunting yes. Then you can see if your game is on the correct side of the public/private line. . For shed hunting no. (Too big)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back