Range Finders?

I've used my Leica Geovid BRF 10-42's for the last 4-5 years now......awesome glass with a very reliable and accurate rangefinder built in. Best of both worlds.

Anybody using the new Leupold RX-1000 RF? They redesigned it to eliminate a lot of the admittedly confusing features on their RX-II model and it looks pretty interesting. Uses red LED instead of LCD imaging. Smaller and lighter too.. a big plus for a gram geek like myself. Just looking for some actual field data. Thanks.

Neal:

I don't own one, but have had the chance to use one a lot recently. I am very impressed wtih the read out and how quickly it acquires the target. If I went with a "stand alone" rangefinder, that is the one I would go with. Not that I need a lot of true ballistic compensation, as I don't do much shooting at extreme angles, but it has that also. Very light, very compact, and when I used it, was very impressed.

Good info. I had the chance to play around with a Nikon Archers Choice and although I didn't fall in love with it, I did like the angle compensation feature. The primary use for the new RF will be bowhunting. I hunt treestands somewhat but mostly find myself spot & stalking steepish canyons and arroyos here in AZ. Every optics outfit has their own term... ARC, TBR and so on. Anybody have experience with any of these angle compensator rigs?

Last edited:
I've got two bought a Bushnell 600 when they first came out only complaint its large and bulky. Then i got a Nikon Prostaff 400 nice light and small. And when I ranged an object with both the resulting reading was the same.

Neal:

I don't own one, but have had the chance to use one a lot recently. I am very impressed wtih the read out and how quickly it acquires the target. If I went with a "stand alone" rangefinder, that is the one I would go with. Not that I need a lot of true ballistic compensation, as I don't do much shooting at extreme angles, but it has that also. Very light, very compact, and when I used it, was very impressed.

Well BF I was going ask you about this range finder as I can't really find many reviews of it. I had a Nikon that a Hunttalker now uses so I am in the market for a new rangefinder. I looked at the old Leupold models in the past and really did not like them. Confusing to use and the clarity was just not there.I read the new models are very clear.

I was set on the Leica because of the red read out and then I saw the new Leupold. Throw in the fact that they are an OYOA sponsor and that pretty much seales the deal with me. I'm gonna go to Cabelas and see it in person and hopefully take it home.

I am a bit concerned that they aren't waterproof per se. They clearly state weatherproof....whatever the heck that means.

Last edited:
Leupold RX-1000

I've used several of the RX-1000 rangefinders, as well as several of the older Leupold models as well. The RX-1000 is hands down the top of the heap. It has a metal case, red illuminated LED and easily ranges to 1000 yards on reflective targets. I live in Billngs and have been able to get readings out to 1150 off of the rims. I used one this winter for coyotes and this spring for turkeys, as well as a bunch on the 3-D range. I like it way better than my old RX-IV and RX-II but they all worked. It is true that the max range is definitley dependent on the target you are bouncing the laser off of, but that is true with all rangefinders. Just last week I was doing a demonstration and was able to get readings off of horses (the white ones work better) at out to about 675 and trees out to about 750 even though Leupold rates it at 500 for deer and 600 for tree. Rocks are great objects to bounce your laser off of if you can find one close to your desired target.

If you want something a little cheaper, check out Leupold's new RX-600 and RX-750. These are the newest generation of Leupold's lower end rangefinders and you will find them much simpler to use and quicker on the read out.

Leupold is realatively new to the rangefinder game, but they are figureing it out quick! Yes I am a little biased, but I have never been disappointed with a Leupold product.

Elkwhisper

Good info. I had the chance to play around with a Nikon Archers Choice and although I didn't fall in love with it, I did like the angle compensation feature. The primary use for the new RF will be bowhunting. I hunt treestands somewhat but mostly find myself spot & stalking steepish canyons and arroyos here in AZ. Every optics outfit has their own term... ARC, TBR and so on. Anybody have experience with any of these angle compensator rigs?

After 6 years my first Nikon 440 has died. I picked up a Rifle Hunter 550. I haven't hunted with it yet but playing with it so far I do like it. Although, the field of view seems smaller than the 440 and the crosshairs in the 550 are black and smaller which may be harder to see in low light.

I do alot of archery hunting as well and looked at a Archers Choice, but the Archers Choice only reads to 100 yards. What is the purpose of that? I think the Rifle hunter 550 is the same price. I always use my range finder just trying to figure out where I need to be before the shot, getting my stalk on, not just at the shot.

I always use my range finder just trying to figure out where I need to be before the shot, getting my stalk on, not just at the shot.

Yup. Me too. We don't always get the time or opportunity to range an actual animal when they just happen to tootle into our lane. I'm leaning toward the Leupold RX-1000 but like most guys here, or anywhere, I'm not made outta money and I don't want to invest in a piece of gear that doesn't meet my needs for a long time. Good solid advice here tho... just what I was looking for. Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back