Caribou Gear

Random thoughts and questions

CTELK83

Hey all, been pre occupied lately and haven't had a ton of time for the forum. Been wanting some opinions and thought id throw everything out,in one thread! Here goes:

I have onx maps, but I am sure I don't use it anywhere near to its full potential... So does it work say in Idaho back country where there isnt reception? Figure I am missing something, what good is a map service that doesnt work when you need it the most?

Update on DIY cooler... I made a cooler last year and didnt get to test it other than the ride home. Well 2 weeks ago I jad a party and jad 2 kegs amd ice in my "ghetti" (ghetto yetti).. It held ice today (over 2 weeks) the same ice and beer is still ice,cold.

Comment on elk hunting. I am from the north east and not many elk hunters out here. I try and go out west once a year. Usually to idaho for a DIY archery Elk hunt... I have done some guided hunts and I am always the one putting everything together and worrying about everyones hunt. I feel like most hunting partners dont put the same time and effort into preparation and I am at the point where I think I am going to just hunt with 1 guy from home and my friend in Idaho. Basically because i know equal effort is being put in. Am I a bad person for having that attitude? I am headed out west for guided archery Elk hunt this year with 3 buddies and I'm not sure anyone is training, shooting, reading or trying to understand elk hunting. I put a lot if effort into reading what I can to have as much knowledge as I can about Elk with only being in the elk woods 8 days a year. Elk 101 and elk nut playbook along with all pod casts elk nut is on has really helped me.

Ok there is everything on my mind.

Spend some time on youtube watching some videos on using it. BigFin has one or two... then play with and get used to it. It will do far more than you ask it to.

I prefer using the onX chip on my Garmin GPS unit. I just find that it stays connected to the satellites better and I can easily bring extra batteries and change them out as needed.

I prefer using the onX chip on my Garmin GPS unit. I just find that it stays connected to the satellites better and I can easily bring extra batteries and change them out as needed.
I have a garmin in reach. I can get a map chip for the area I hunt in Idaho and put it in my in reach??

I have a garmin in reach. I can get a map chip for the area I hunt in Idaho and put it in my in reach??
No.

Use OnX on your phone. I don’t know if you can even use a chip with the new inreach or not but the screens and ease of use of garmin handheld gps is terrible compared to just using your phone.
Garmin’s topo on the Earthmate app isn’t bad but it doesn’t have ownership, all the roads and trails etc. like OnX
The only downside of phones is if you’re using it a lot and it’s cold out, it’s hard on your battery.
I just pull it out every now and then so that’s not really an issue.

Download the map before you go and put your phone on airplane mode.

I hav a friend from Upstate NY, who said he’s coming to Oregon and hunt Roosevelt’s with me , I’ve been doing a lot of planning for that hunt as well , but I’m still waiting. Oh and OnX works great here 2 . :LOL::ROFLMAO:

If the garmin inreach has an sd chip slot then it should work, but check with onX to make sure. I use a Garmin 64st.
As someone else stated, you can use a cell phone, but for me that’s just an option for a day hunt and I don’t mind the interface on the gps unit.

What part of Rochester are you from, my old man is from Greece. I use, both the chip and the app at least three times a week at work. The only reason I use both of them is I can pull MGRS off the garmin. The app works great and is much better then the chip in the terms of detail and accuracy even while in airplane mode. Paired with a map and compass and small power source you are set for navigational needs. The best way to learn how to use it and exploit its full potential is to use it over and over, take it scouting in the whitetail woods and you will get the hang of it in no time.

RLTW

At a certain point you absolutely have the right to be increasingly selective on the quantity of energy you expend on hunting partners. If people don’t reciprocate or pull their own weight (even if you are taking the lead), then they had their chance. Otherwise, they are simply taking advantage of your generosity and propensity to help others succeed.

What part of Rochester are you from, my old man is from Greece. I use, both the chip and the app at least three times a week at work. The only reason I use both of them is I can pull MGRS off the garmin. The app works great and is much better then the chip in the terms of detail and accuracy even while in airplane mode. Paired with a map and compass and small power source you are set for navigational needs. The best way to learn how to use it and exploit its full potential is to use it over and over, take it scouting in the whitetail woods and you will get the hang of it in no time.

RLTW
I'm from Famrington. 30 mins from greece

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back