Ramon Fernandez Moose Picture......


Dec 9, 2000
I sort of kind of received this picture second hand , thanks to bcat.

There is suppose to be a story to follow and now I am going to see if I can find out who Ramon is.

Thanks Chambo for posting the pic of Ramon. The story is forthcoming to the big game section. He sent it to me via snailmail from Alaska and the whole thing was soaked when it got here!! There was a note attached from the post office that something like ! "SORRY THIS WAS DAMAGED WITH WATER FROM A DOG SLED TEAM HAULING THE MAIL"
Or something like that. Ramon is sending another copy, will post it when it arrives!! bcat

If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes

The guy is "Ray" from Alaska. The following story is as small as the moose I killed last year:

I arrived to our campsite a day before the season opened, and proceeded to unpack my ATV and trailer. The trailer consists of an angle-iron frame of rectangular shape. This frame holds a 16-gauge steel box. The box's bottom is narrow enough to fit between two ATV knobby tires, then about one inch above the tires the box widens over the tires. This wide section of the box serves as fenders. The box's side walls measure about 12" in height from the top of the trailer tires to the top edge of the box. The axle is just a piece of square steel pipe with a spindle welded at each end. This axle is in turn welded midway to the angle iron frame. The tongue is made of square pipe, and is welded to the axle, and to the front edge of the angle iron frame.

After I unpacked the ATV and trailer, I rode down the trail 500 yards to my favorite hunting spot. This spot is a rocky knob near the trail and serves as a lookout. I sit there out of view, and watch a large open field where moose sometimes browse or walk across. I turned my ATV off and walked ahead a few paces, and to my surprise there was a bull moose about 150 yards away. The moose didn't pay attention to me, but I stayed still because I didn't want to spook it. All along I was wishing to see this again the next afternoon. I stayed there for awhile, and went back to my campsite as it got dark in the evening.

My hunting partners arrived to our campsite that night. We talked about the moose I had seen, sat by the fire drinking hot cocoa, and watched the northern lights past midnight. I got up at 6:00 AM the first day of the season, and rode to my favorite hunting spot after breakfast. It was 7:00 AM when I arrived to the rocky knob. I turned my ATV off, and walked a few paces ahead to look around, and there was another bull moose a little closer than the one I had seen before.

The moose didn't seem to care I was there, and kept browsing. I could only see its antlers because of the tall brush, so I moved a little closer and stayed hidden behind a small tree. I supported the rifle on a branch, to look at the animal through the scope. I still could not take a shot at the moose, because some trees were in the way, but finally it came out to a clear spot where I could see its chest. I prefer a slightly low shot through the lungs to hit the heart, but this time I could only see a portion the chest above the heart. I took one shot, and after the recoil I saw the moose getting ready to drop. It took about a second or two after the bullet hit, and it dropped on its chest. It was 7:30 AM.

I stood there for a few minutes with my eyes glued to the spot where the moose had been before it dropped, but was now out of view in the brush. Those are a few anxious minutes, because one never knows if the animal is dead or just getting away through the tall brush. If I can't see, I always stay put listening and looking to make sure a shot animal does not sneak away. This time I walked to it 10 to 15 minutes later. By then I could tell it was dead on its side.

I have been using my own hand loads with 230-grain FS bullets. These load develops over 2,850 fps at the muzzle, and the bullet drops just a little over -7" at 300 yards. The moose was 100 yards out when I shot it through the lungs, but it didn't walk more than a couple of paces. My partners never heard the shot, so I rode to our campsite to wake them up. They still didn't believe me when I told them I had a moose down. I killed the moose about 500 yards from our campsite, but they were sound sleep and never heard the "boom" of my .338 Magnum.

One of my hunting partners killed another moose eight days later. He called his moose in, and it got so close that he could hardly pick the chest through the scope. The moose was perhaps 30 yards away when he killed it with two 7mm shots.

Anything is possible where I hunt, but I have only seen black bears and wolves. I usually see fresh grizzly tracks on the trail near my tent, but these haven't showed themselves during the day when I can see them. I have had to run black bears away from my campsite a couple of times.

A few years back a bear got some of my food near the tents, so I had to stash the rest up on some trees. Then another bear destroyed one of my tents that I had set-up about 4 miles away from my campsite. Another time a bear got on top of my car when I was sleep inside, sniffed a fishing net I had on the rack, and then just waked away when I woke up and moved out of my sleeping bag. However, I have never been charged by bears.
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Latest member