Ram 2500, any help for washboard roads?

davinski

I like my 2015 Ram 3/4 ton with the 6.4 hemi. But the washboard gravel roads around here that I'm on for hunting, camping, and scouting are absolutely killing me. Airing down the tires and 4wdHi helps a bit, but not much. I was thinking about putting money into new tuned shocks, maybe some spring work, and it's time for new tires anyway. I'm pulling my camper (bumper pull) or enclosed ATV trailer about half the time, so I was thinking air springs for that. But, I'm no gear head by any stretch, so I'd just be going to a local shop, explaining my problem, and hoping for the best. I don't really want to get rid of it for a split front end GM. But if the work above turns into a giant bill, that might make more sense.

I traded my diesel out for this one and am glad I did, I definitely don't tow enough to justify that. My Cooper tires have not held up well, I've got about 25k on them and they're all crumbly, with your bare fingers you can pick a 1/2 inch square cube off any of the four of them. They're not wearing down with respect to tread depth so the local shop was no help with warranty options.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Only way I know is to slow down. In regards to tires - in my experience the BFG KO2’s are head and shoulders above the others. Pricey but worth it - I use mine hard and still get 75,000 miles out of them.

I say drive faster!!! This is where ill be going once it's time for tires. But with your little caveat about costing and arm and a leg might rule out this option

You can't tune enough in a 3/4 ton to eliminate washboard. I vote for speed as well but beyond that, the money you spend tuning you could just buy a Toyota or the likes to help, even then your going to feel it.

Floor it.....just touch the tops!🤣
In all seriousness, there are some local roads I just drive fast. It seems to hurt less, but I’m driving a half ton too. There’s always risk of ending up sideways as well.

In all seriousness, there are some local roads I just drive fast. It seems to hurt less, but I’m driving a half ton too. There’s always risk of ending up sideways as well.

Got to admit it, I often do too in my 1/2T Ford. More so on the way back “out” when leaving a place lol.

Never when pulling though like the OP, used to hate pulling into camp and then spending the next couple of hours cleaning up the landslides out of the cabinets 🤬

I guess we all know why the roads are wash boarded up.
Driving too fast to start with...
Nothing helps. I'm thinking your too young to remember Bias tires.
You think it's bad now.
I had an old '71 3/4 Chevy, which was not old when I got it, with 12 ply bandage recapped tiers, over/load leaf springs all the way around.
At 20 mph you would bounce right off the road, in fact, it was faster to drive in the ditch alongside the road.

Got to admit it, I often do too in my 1/2T Ford. More so on the way back “out” when leaving a place lol.

Never when pulling though like the OP, used to hate pulling into camp and then spending the next couple of hours cleaning up the landslides out of the cabinets 🤬
Man, I have parts that rattled off I know have to be inside my camper somewhere, but I still can't find!

I'm thinking your too young to remember Bias tires.
You think it's bad now.
I had an old '71 3/4 Chevy, which was not old when I got it, with 12 ply bandage recapped tiers, over/load leaf springs all the way around.
At 20 mph you would bounce right off the road, in fact, it was faster to drive in the ditch alongside the road.

The ol’ bias tire square ride🤣
My folks had an old “Superior” motor home we’d take on a rare vacation. If it got under 40 degrees you’d think you were going down the road in Fred and Wilmas rig from the Flintstones!
Literally rattle you teeth 😖

'03 GM 3/4 ton diesel here. Washboards still suck with the IFS AND you get the added benefit of destroyed suspension components at an accelerated rate. I've been trucking the kids into 30 and 31 for late cow the last 4 weekends. The roads suck. I get up earlier to budget time to go slow. Or dress really really warm and take an ATV.

ETA - Coopers have been unimpressive. I have cut several down through the tread blocks on gravel. Goodyears duratrac have held up pretty well.

I got nothing other than to remind that energy is the square of velocity. The faster you drive, the greater the pounding the truck takes. I pull horses on gravel roads to get to places where I run my bird dogs. Rarely does a trip go by that I don't get a remainder of that law of physics. The reminder normally tells me to slow down some.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back