Rain/Snow in elk country?

A-con

We are about half way through the winter. So lets here a report from all of you lucky enough to live in elk country. Is there any snow on the ground? Are the lakes full? Are we looking at another drought year?
The only elk within a hundred miles of me is a small, non huntable herd of Tules at San Louis reservoir. So far, not much rain fall, but hopeing for a wet spring.

We are about half way through the winter.

Really? When does winter start where you are? The first day of winter here was December 22nd, so we are just one day shy of being 3 weeks into winter. And, winter is 3 MONTHS long! (just had to give you $hit about that.)

However, I too am curious about how this winter is going to be on the animals. I'm more concerned about deer than the elk though (at least in my state.) It's been 10 years since we've had a bad winter kill here. For several years the mule deer were almost non-existent. The mule deer hunting just got good again 4 to 5 years ago. With the way the weather's been here I'm afraid it's going to be like that again when this winter is over.

I have heard on the 'net that both Colorado and Wyoming are looking good so far, surprisingly enough.

OK, OK, I should have said the cold, rainy, snowy season. Usually starts about October in the Rockies, and lasts till April or so.

Hell, we got snowed on today! We don't get too much in the valley here. My Dad lives in Elk River and he's got over 3 feet at his house. Don't know how the rest of winter will go but it is dumping from here to Elk River and down to Elk City.

The Bitterroots are all covered. Heard the ski report on my way to Gardiner last week and most of the ski areas in Western MT have any where from 3 to 9 feet of base. I tihnk we are at about 80% of snow pack. Could be little better but not as bad as it has been in years past. Most snow we had in Gardiner for the late hunt was about a foot. Most of the bulls were way up high. Not enough to push them lower.

We had 11" last week, and at least 5" so far today in Bountiful. Parts of UT are expecting 1-2 feet from this storm. I know nothing like eastern CO, but it should be packing up nicely.

its been dry here but we got 10" so far today, the mountain has about 2'
real dry fluffy stuff don't think we are going to have any water in the lakes unless we get more.

Paper this morning said overall Bitterroot Basin snowpack is at 98%. Has been mild so far this winter with rain in the valley in January. Cold front has moved in, in the last couple days bringing minus zero temps here.

I checked the snowpack data for UT last week and most of the state is within 5-10% of average, but that was before this last round of storms. The big exception being the central part of the state which was 30-40% above average! Should be a decent year for horn growth.

Back