Rain Gear?

Sitka storefront top, cloudburst in the bottom. Also keep a pair of Helly Hansen bibs under the seat in the truck for when it gets really western.

I have commercial fishing raingear (Helly Hansen) from 1989 that is still permanently in my boat.
For lighter backpacking, Grundens Neptune raingear or Simms ...each less than $200 for the rain jacket.

Arcteryx Beta SV (heavy) and Beta SL Hybrid (light)

Outdoor Research Foray (jacket and pants). I've been wearing them for several years and have not had any leaks. Plus, I've tested OR's unconditional warranty several times with other gear and they 100% stand behind their products.

Pound for pound and dollar for dollar, the Foray line is extremely hard to beat.

Frogg Toggs for me. Mossy Oak camo and less than sixty bucks for jacket and pants. Very lightweight (originally designed for bicyclists) and breathable. Not heavy duty but I got my first pair to last ten years of fly fishing and waterfowl hunting. Be careful putting your legs in the pants. I took the jacket to Africa recently and actually had to wear it once. My PH and tracker were envious that day. With everything in South Africa but tulips wearing thorns, I don't think that gear would last long for them.

In the market for new raingear this fall also. Any input on the Sitka Thunderhead Jacket? I am looking real hard at Kuiu Yukon set also and trying to compare the two.
Cost and weight are comparable so performance/durability is what I am wondering about?

Mostly I’m packing the OR Helium at 6oz. It’s for pop ups or whatever.
If I am really expecting rain, I have the Sitka, but it 36oz or something like that.

I'm all good with my $30 FroggTogg suit if I need it while hunting. Good insurance and fits easy in the pack. I won't hunt in rain anyway, so only carry it just in case I'm hunting and a shower or T-storm pops up. If it's raining and expected to rain, I stay in camp.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back