"Race to Survive: Alaska" New TV program

kansasdad

Adventure racing in Alaska. I imagine the views will be spectacular, and the drama hyped to the nth degree. Eight two person teams racing towards a finish line more than 100 miles from the start. Elements of "Alone", mixed in with other survival show themes.

Monday night on USA network.

mixed in with other survival show themes
Not sure it’s worth watching if it’s not mixed with a heavy dose of naked and afraid. Need to see just how bad they want it if they are willing to face the mosquitoes and black flies. Lol

Seems a lot like Ultimate Survival Alaska show from 8-10 years ago.
That's what I thought. We watched that one as well and even met one of the participants on one trip to Alaska. He now has his own show.

First race leg is 18ish miles long. 12 hour racing day maximum. When the racing time is complete, time to forage for food and set up shelter.

6 weeks and over one hundred miles. Contestants receive small amount of “survival” rations at the start of the leg. Vegan Father and son ate some canned mussels. Graphic vomiting scene. 😬

Alaskan brothers: “This is not our Alaska”

Field medics used on the first leg of the race. Plan B = airlift out. Just before the chopper takes off….”Baby, I’m going to see you in heaven“.

Lost compass = no bueno

Navigation mistake nearly costs a first place finish.

Marmot, The North Face, and Patagonia well represented.

The Alaska brothers kicked ass but I don't know if their gear will hold up.

That woman that got airlifted out only lasted 4-5 hours? It did say they had the heaviest packs. Maybe the beast of a boyfriend should have carried more and let her drink more like she wanted.

The military guy and his martial arts partner seem like they are out for a stroll and not a race.

Seems like the nurses may have a strategy conflict coming up.

I'll keep watching. Have to DVR it since it's on too late. Gives us something to watch when it's boring.

100 miles is not long by Alaskan standards.
The Iditasport is the the world’s longest winter ultra marathon by fat bike, foot and ski (1,000 miles to Nome).

The Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classic (sometimes called the Alaska Wilderness Classic) is an adventure challenge with no outside support, requiring that participants carry all food and equipment; human-powered; leave no trace; and rescue is up to the individual to resolve. The most common form of transportation is by foot and packraft. The route changes every 3 years. 2022-2024 190 miles thru the Wrangell–St. Elias Mountains.

Back