Quick Colorado regs clarification please

Sabot

Looked in the big game brochure and didn't see a direct answer, so I am engaging the brain trust:

I have a 3rd season deer tag in a unit that also offers OTC elk tags. Can I hunt the deer tag and if successful early then go to town an buy an elk tag for the balance of the trip?

I understand why this is not allowed in some states, but It doesn't say anything about a cut off date for OTC sales, only a start date of 8/9

Thanks!

ETA: The deer area I am hunting has no elk, I would have to drive over to another area to hunt elk, thus no need to buy the tag up front and have both in pocket since there are no elk in the area I'm hunting specifically.

Over-the-Counter (OTC) Unlimited Licenses: These are available to both resident and nonresident hunters starting at 9 a.m. (MDT) Aug. 9. They are sold online, by phone at 1-800-244-5613, at license agents and CPW locations around the state. There are an unlimited number of these licenses that may be purchased any time up until the day before your hunting season starts. After the season starts, they are available at CPW offices only, except for archery elk OTC licenses and plains elk OTC licenses, which can be purchased at any license agent.​

Wiseguy response: I am pretty sure you used to be not allowed in Colorado (forum name: Sabot)

Hope you get your deer, and then then find a willing elk.

And by doing it that way, you are guaranteed to see some legal bulls before you buy the license.

Back