Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Questions on black powder measure and grains to shoot?

windymtnman

Please don't laugh or make fun....I'm old you see.
Hey, I finally drew a muzzleloading tag for Elk this Fall. I dug out my
.54 caliber inline rifle, which I haven't shot since the last time I drew a tag.
I got out my "stuff" just now, and realized I can't recall what the calibrations are on the powder measuring device
I have. This device has grooves on the inner cylinder that fit in the outer cylinder and each groove is another grain weight. I think from memory each groove might be another 10 grains of powder, but in that I'm not completely sure, I
don't want to guess at this stuff for obvious reasons.
Does this measuring device look familiar to anyone? I think the cylinder when telescoped all the way in, might be 50 grains, but again I'm just not sure?
Next, in shooting a 348 grain powerbelt bullet in this .54 cal. CVA rifle, how many grains of powder would you recommend loading ?
I know that my maximum effective range is 100 yds. or less on an Elk.
Thanks for your advice!

Attachments

• DSCN3960.JPG
    DSCN3960.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 3
  • DSCN3961.JPG
    DSCN3961.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 3
  • DSCN3962.JPG
    DSCN3962.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 3
I have a similar but can’t recall exactly either, I think I would calibrate\verify with a reloading scale.

What powder are you shooting? Do you have a scale?

Pick a line, throw a charge, and weigh it.

If you’re shooting Goex black powder, 100gr by volume = 100gr by weight.

Pyrodex 100gr by volume = 76gr by weight.

You should be able to figure out your powder measure based on those ratios, if you have a scale.

Max charge will be based on whatever the gun manufacturer says. They’ll basically all shoot 100gr by volume loads, some will handle up to 150gr by volume loads.

If you don’t have a scale then I guess go buy a new powder measure and test it against your old powder measure to figure out which line you need.

I have a similar measurer and closed all the way is 50 grains and the little lines are 10 each.
I think YOU are correct, as that's what I "thought it was", but in that this is a pretty critical
matter, I didn't want to be taking a chance and relying on a bad memory. Thanks!
BTW, I looked at my black powder jug, and it says for my .54 caliber, with a 348 gr. powerbelt,
I should be shooting 120 grains of powder.

I don't have a scale that will weigh powder, and didn't plan to buy one.
My season, at this writing, opens in less than 2 weeks. So, I planned to
be shooting between now and then.
I think Mr. Cushman verified what I thought might be the case, so I think I'm
good to go here.
The powder container says to shoot 120 gr. powder for my .54 caliber using a 348 grain
powerbelt, which will send the bullet out at a velocity of 1775, so unless someone has better
advice, that's what I'll go with.

First, drop the powerbelts.

If you're in a full bore projectile state go with no excuses, thors, or something tougher. In my experience powerboats tend to "pancake" more than they mushroom. If you can use a sabot I can't recommend the barnes expander mz enough.

Blackhorn 209, if you can get your hands on it, is pretty great stuff for working up a load because you don't have to clean nearly as much.

Go ahead and get a digital scale for powder

Almost all BP measure tools are in 10g increments (volume)

I would highly encourage you to ditch the Powebelts-especially if you are wanting to shoot that much of a charge. They are infamous for over expanding or coming apart with any speed.

Bullshops are a great options although you may be too close to the season for that option. Thors are a great option as well if you can find them.

If you must shoot the PB, slow them down. Likely nothing more than 100g.

All this assumes you have to use a full bore conical. If not, even with a 1/48, you could get some sabots to stabilize with the right charge.

I would look into another projectile.
For a full bore conical I’d look into Parker Productions out of Idaho. Their Hydra-con bullet thumps big critters hard.

as far as your powder I’d play with the load from 90-120 grains… often a little slower is more accurate. Blackhorn makes the gun easier to clean

good luck!

It will all depend on your patch size, round ball size or conical.
Just got to go out on the line and and start shooting, different loads & patches.
I made my own measure , found the powder amount and scribe a line in the lip.

Attachments

• CIMG0216.JPG
    CIMG0216.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back