Yeti GOBOX Collection

Questions about reloading dies import from France to USA

CLAUSEWITZVON

Now I have bought a Chassepot Fusil Gras 1866-74 which uses 11x59 Gras ammo. This ammo has NOT been found at anywhere in US and the world. So I'm planning to reload it.
But I was looking anywhere on the website, only found one website in France that they have this reloading dies on sale.
So, I have a question, can I buy this reloading die tools from France and ship to USA? Does USA have any restrictions to prohibit it to import?
After I looked up the HTSUS, I cannot make sure the reloading die tools would be classified as metal working tools or something else?

Thank you guys for explaining.

Dies should be okay to import without any permits. There are restrictions for ITAR items, but generally reloading tools like dies are not ITAR. You may have to pay a duty or import tax as you would when importing any other tool, but it shouldn’t be any issue.

If you import any reloading components (brass, projectiles, powder, primers) then you will likely need an import permit, because all individual ammunition components are treated the same as “ammunition”, and are therefore regulated the same as loaded ammunition.

Check with RCBS.
They have info for literally thousands of cartridges. It may not be in their catalog, but i'd wager they have done at least one die set for it.

Failing that, call Pacific Tool & Guage. Like RCBS, they have info for thousands of chambers!
Have them make the reamers, buy their blank die body, and make your own die set.

RCBS & PTG don't throw away prints for anything!

Last edited:
Check with RCBS.
They have info for literally thousands of cartridges. It may not be in their catalog, but i'd wager they have done at least one die set for it.

Failing that, call Pacific Tool & Guage. Like RCBS, they have info for thousands of chambers!
Have them make the reamers, buy their blank die body, and make your own die set.

RCBS & PTG don't throw away prints for anything!
These days, ordering from PTG will cost you money and time and in the end, you'll never get what you ordered anyway. There is a huge thread over on Sniper's Hide about all the BS coming out of PTG these days.

I read the first post here and immediately looked through the ch4d cartridge list. Seems like they have it.

I’ve been very happy with my ch4d dies that I own. They have good customer service as well! I bought a second hand pair of dies for a .338-06 from on an auction and the decapping stem was bent. Sent it back to them after contacting them, and after a pretty quick turn around, had it back in my hands. Dies freshly polished and the expanding button upgraded to one of the tapered variety for ease of making brass from .30-06. Dies are working great!

These days, ordering from PTG will cost you money and time and in the end, you'll never get what you ordered anyway. There is a huge thread over on Sniper's Hide about all the BS coming out of PTG these days.
I've had several recent orders through PTG lately.
Haven't had any issues.

Along with Sharp Shooter Supply, Northland Shooter Supple, EABCO, EGW, Sierra and others.

Just mentioning because it seems like somebodies uncles, friends, roommate had an issue with someone 70 years ago, and are still getting bashed about it.
In a couple of months it will be someone else.

Last edited:
I've had several recent orders through PTG lately.
Haven't had any issues.

Along with Sharp Shooter Supply, Northland Shooter Supple, EABCO, EGW, Sierra and others.

Just mentioning because it seems like somebodies uncles, friends, roommate had an issue with someone 70 years ago, and are still getting bashed about it.
In a couple of months it will be someone else.

Well, since you insinuated I'm spreading rumors, here is how my latest PTG experience played out:
I ordered a blueprinted Remington Model 7 action from them in July 2020. Was supposed to be ready in 4 weeks, it took 16 and numerous phone calls to finally get it to my FFL.

What arrived was not a factory Model 7 action, it was some kind of off brand clone, and it had a hole in the receiver for a bolt stop/release, but it was just a gaping hole with nothing installed. The Timney trigger I ordered was not there, in its place was a standard Remington X-Mark, it took weeks to get the price difference refunded, not sure why they wouldn't just send the the trigger I ordered). So, after numerous more calls, and talking to Dave personally and he promised one day turn around, they sent me a call tag, and I sent it out to be fixed. I was apprehensive about how good the blueprinting job could be if they neglected to notice the gaping hole in the receiver, but I'd had a good experience ordering reamers from them previously.

Two months later (obviously not the promised one day), the action arrived and I sent directly it to the gunsmith. The gunsmith mocked it all up, and found out that the bolt stop/release that PTG installed was not to spec and stopped the bolt before it travelled far enough back to pick up a round from the magazine. For some reason, PTG blind pinned the bolt stop/release in place so it would require EDM to pull it out and repair. So, I cut my losses (shipping, FFL transfer, sales tax, gunsmith labor time) and asked for a refund, which took several weeks and more phone calls to accomplish, in January of 2021 they only refunded the receiver cost, and did not attempt to make anything right with me in the least.

Well, since you insinuated I'm spreading rumors, here is how my latest PTG experience played out:
I ordered a blueprinted Remington Model 7 action from them in July 2020. Was supposed to be ready in 4 weeks, it took 16 and numerous phone calls to finally get it to my FFL.

What arrived was not a factory Model 7 action, it was some kind of off brand clone, and it had a hole in the receiver for a bolt stop/release, but it was just a gaping hole with nothing installed. The Timney trigger I ordered was not there, in its place was a standard Remington X-Mark, it took weeks to get the price difference refunded, not sure why they wouldn't just send the the trigger I ordered). So, after numerous more calls, and talking to Dave personally and he promised one day turn around, they sent me a call tag, and I sent it out to be fixed. I was apprehensive about how good the blueprinting job could be if they neglected to notice the gaping hole in the receiver, but I'd had a good experience ordering reamers from them previously.

Two months later (obviously not the promised one day), the action arrived and I sent directly it to the gunsmith. The gunsmith mocked it all up, and found out that the bolt stop/release that PTG installed was not to spec and stopped the bolt before it travelled far enough back to pick up a round from the magazine. For some reason, PTG blind pinned the bolt stop/release in place so it would require EDM to pull it out and repair. So, I cut my losses (shipping, FFL transfer, sales tax, gunsmith labor time) and asked for a refund, which took several weeks and more phone calls to accomplish, in January of 2021 they only refunded the receiver cost, and did not attempt to make anything right with me in the least.

I ordered one of their stainless Rem 700 trigger guards. When it arrived the grooves in the floorplate were too narrow to accept the follower spring. I returned it and it came back ok. After that I ordered another and specified to make sure that it would accept the spring that I had which IIRC is 0.5 inch. Arrived wrong of course. Called and Dave hizself answered. He did get me a label to return it. If they made scads of these you wonder how many got returned. I believe that Remington had 2 different spring widths in which case they should have indicated that.

No insinuation to you was meant.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with them.
You quoted me and then said, "Just mentioning because it seems like somebodies uncles, friends, roommate had an issue with someone...", so you could understand my confusion. Here is the thread on Sniper's Hide: PTG Sucks, many people having issues in the recent past and still ongoing.

For those still on the hunt for 11x59 Gras ammo, kudos for considering reloading – a smart move! Now, about importing those reloading dies from France to the USA, regulations may have evolved since 2020.
Check out the current guidelines to ensure a smooth process. Generally, reloading tools fall under categories like metalworking tools, but confirming with the latest HTSUS info is a good call. By the way, when navigating the import process, keeping tabs on the itar application process can be a game-changer. Ensuring compliance is key, and a smooth ITAR process will make your reloading journey even more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back