Questionable Method....

winman

I know there are some pretty unconventional methods for attracting bucks,but I have trouble believing this one......My neighbor stops one day during archery season with a bag of doe droppings,which he produces.Then he says[ to attract bucks] he mixes it with water and making a shit stew,for lack of a better term.Which he then places around his tree stand. I don't believe I could do this even if it did work.I was just wondering if there was any truth to it......Can you guys give me any answers?

That is new shit to me!! I've never even heard of that shit!!! That's some crazy shit!!! The shit that people will do to kill a deer. That is taking shit a little to far!! Ya learn some new shit every day................

.......people have been doing it for years.
normally taken from a fresh doe kill along with urine........dont know about the adding of the water part but collecting "doe berries", thats just good clean fun.

No Shit???????

JB said:
.......people have been doing it for years.
normally taken from a fresh doe kill along with urine........dont know about the adding of the water part but collecting "doe berries", thats just good clean fun.
That shit is just plain ol' nasty. Hope they dont mistake them for the chocolate covered raisins.....

Never heard of the "stew" method. Falling asleep usually works best for me. But hey, I'm from Texas...so naturally I don't know shit. :cool:

years ago we would use fresh poop for hunting wabbits but decided it was a bad idea when they started firing back.

bunnyshoot6.gif.02072006

Hey I know as well as anybody how disgusting the process I described sounds.I just wanted to hear it from someone else.Thanks for the feedback.

winman said:
......My neighbor stops one day during archery season with a bag of doe droppings,which he produces.......

OK, I was always under the assumption the doe's produced doe droppings.......how is this guy doing it ?!?!? :D

Let me clarify,he did not produce the doe shit personally;he simply collected it and proceeded to show it to me........Any more questions?

"shit stew" that's funny. Isn't it wierd how almost all topics eventually come back to a good poo joke.

I might catch it from some of you folks, but from what I've noticed - there is no discernable method of knowing if a pile of droppings came from either a doe or a buck, and at different times of the year, their droppings look identical ... even the big clumps everyone calls buck turds. I've learned this from investigating where I've seen a doe deficate and from what biologists have told me. Then again, if you find a monster pile ...it came from a big deer and it might even be a buck. At least that still holds true.
Winman, what I'm saying is that your buddy would have to actually have seen an actual doe taking a dump and collected her droppings to be sure of his "stew" concoction for attracting a buck. The important thing is the fact that your buddy believes in his 'stew brew' theroy ...and the fact that he thinks it works for him. I haven't yet seen a buck (either blacktail or muley) show any intrest in scenting droppings -or anyone using them as an attractant. Doe estrous urine is an entirely different matter.
But I'll tell you what I sometimes use - the tarsal gland and hide off of the rear legs of any rutting buck that is shot. (I freeze them and make sure they are fresh) Sometimes I have 3 or 4 of them cross-wind from my spy-tree. I think it works, but my brother thinks I'm nuts, saying: "You're probably only stinking up the area with something lousy-smelling." If there is a teritorial buck around, he won't stand having any other buck crusing his area. Sooner or later I'll see him if I put in enough time. DD

It would be possible to tell if the droppings came from a doe if you you had clear tracks to check,since the hoofs of does and bucks differ.That aside,your method sounds interesting.I'll have to try it some time.

Winman, good point about the tracks ...definately a difference there. I want to put a disclaimer on my buck tarsal gland scent lure. My brother hates my idea and is concerned that a live buck might be smart enough to be able to tell the difference between a live buck invading his area -and a dead hunk of gland and hide. He actually has a point, but I think any mature buck with rutting on his mind is going to become bold and inquisitive if he catches even a whiff of another buck challenging his mating opportunities or his core area.
I'm lucky in the fact that our blacktails on the coast here usually start rutting off and on during the last three weeks of the season. I'm under the impression that hanging sets of tarsal glands both up and downwind from my ambush spot tends to make local bucks just a little less shy. I've only hunted muleys in mid-November once, so I don't know how well tarsal scent would work. DD

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back