Question

jig maker

I know many of you watch the hunting shows So heres the question
Are these guys just piss poor shots or what every deer they shoot is not even kocked off its feet then it runs who knows how far what is there problem ? I've never had a Deer take a step. And Elk only about 30yrds.

I have had em take lots of steps with heart lung shots! I have only had three or four fall where they been shot. The eight point last year took two loads of 00buck at less than 10 yards in the chest, thru heart and lungs, ran about 70 yards and took a third shot to finish him. He was dying but not fast enough. I don't like to see them suffer.

I killed my 100th deer last year..I've shot them with a bow, muzzel loader, but mostly with a rifle..The deer I shot with a bowran but I cann't remember any that went over 100 yards..Muzzel loaders (both of them) dropped on the spot,,and the deer with a rifle the farthest one ran about 10 yards(except the only mule deer that I shot through the chest with a .30-06 using a 180gr. I still haven't found him)

When you have a film crew to help you look for a deer, and all you can see is the mount on the wall, who cares if you get to gut them with a garden hose
biggrin.gif
I've seen more gut shots than I care to count

Hunterman(Tony)

I have taken 18 Deer with rifle and Black powder none moved at all went straight down. Also have taken 8 Elk, One with Black powder none went over 30 yrds.

Elk (only one) -drop
Deer (?) - only one went about 25-30 yards, others dropped
Hogs (dozens) - 75% ran up to 50 yards (not counting head shots)
Antelope - bad shot, ran 150 yards and then I finished it.

Man you dudes some kinda shooters. I shot a black bear with a 30-06 180 grain soft nose,twice and he kept going one of them blew his heart completely apart, and the other was almost right beside it. He ran about 100 yards, before I put the third one in his head. I didn't know the heart was gone, he was still moving, got behind a blow down and it appeared he was trying to get over it. When we dressed him we saw the damage to the heart.
They don't go far, but they don't drop in the spot they where shot.

Hunterman,

I gotta call BS on your 100 deer
redface.gif
fight.gif
redface.gif

Not that I don't believe you, I just want to hear 100 stories
wink.gif
Just killin' time, till its time to kill chit...
wink.gif

I haven't shot as many deer as some of you, but I do know something about terminal ballistics and kinesiology. If a bullet does not come in contact with hard tissue such as bone, it may well pass through with little or no initial reaction. Depending on the state of the animal, it may crumple on the spot or it may run like hell. I've seen several shots on TV that were in the soft tissue of the gut or through the soft tissue of the neck and I've wondered how they found the animal as quickly as they did. Then I've seen a few that amazed me that they were even fatal. I've often wondered whether or not there was a second shot taken off camera, as in a back up shooter.. I guess it's show business for you. Vicarious thrill of the hunt.

cool.gif

Or if they found them days later. TV is a wonderful medium you can edit anything. I have seen some shots on TV that were obviously gut shots, and the guy walking right up to it.

huh...Slamming souther accents now Moosie?

I have shot a lot of bambis.
Always more than 10 per year (high doe limits and LONG seasons)
Some drop on the spot, but probably 2/3 travel 40 or 50 yards.
I prefer a double lung shot.
One buck comes to mind that was broadside
and the bullet passed thru and turned the heart to jelly and he traveled over 200 yards.
I have noticed more effect of the caliber on how far the deer travels than anything else.
With my 270, A deer will run at least 50 yards after the hit and pretty much the same with the 300 mag. But If its one of 2 25-06, it will not go anywhere -(10yards) Dan has a really interesting explination for this.

Hopefully you are not like our old uncle bill who just assumes that if a deer runs he is not hit. I have found a couple of his deer within 50 yards that he said he missed.
He knew this because they ran off
mad.gif

That REALLY pisses me off!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back