Grand poopa
I'm all out of questions
smile.gif
BUT I still want to TALK AK
smile.gif
so here's another topic, but jsut no question
wink.gif
!!!!

I'm not planning to bring much salt.. Here's my thoughts, I'm gonig to Turn the LIps and eyes on the Moose (If I get one, and salt just that area. The thicker areas usually are pretty durable unless it's Extream heat. If we get one, I'll salt the head area and bag it and Submerge it in water, I then set the flag out for the Pilot to stop. THEY usually stop once during out 9 days sometime. And really try to stop if we flag them. (AT no charge). I figure if We fly in, first day no hunt, but the second day Even if we wack one, and it takes them 3 more days to get there.. thats not all that long. If it takes the whole time, We'll have it well cooled in the water temp.

For the bou hunting, We're going to fly in a few more pounds, After they come and pic us up, we're allowed 40# each more. We can't think of much that we'll need that we won';t have already. So we figured salt and some cold COKE for a pic me upper
smile.gif
Pluss out additional food.

SO anyways, Any thoughts on that ?

PS< ELKGUNNER , left a message in the Fireside for ya. call me tomorrow or leave a message. I have your # somewere ?!?! HEre's mine 571-1ELK.

Is there ever a Taxiderimist who posts here? I always get nervous about not having enough salt, and I wonder how much you could really get away with. I don't know that I have ever heard of Sheep hunters packing in Salt. Bear guys buy it by the 50lb bag.

I think I got a way with 10lbs per caribou, but will have to check the Wal-Mart to see what the bags actually weigh, that I was thinking we took. For Moose, we took 100lbs, but that was a phuggin circus, the amount of crap we took.

But, hey.... At least I got you a topic, sort of......
elkgrin.gif

THANX BUD, I needed help, I'm grassping.. I shouldn't even post here.. I'm fugin DREAMING every day and night about AK !!!! I can't get it out of my mind !!!!! HAHA

I went to New Zealand and we shot and Caped out Tahr and Chamoise and didn't salt them, jsut wrapped them and Brought them home.. The first Chamoise we Salted but it was early in the Trip... We shot them on a ...hold on, we got back SAT, FLEW THURS/fri, drove WED.... Tuesday We shot them...soe Tuesday-SAT, then SUNDAY calle the Taxidermist who wasn't in town then Brough them in MONDAY morning.. ALL was fine,, I did loose one of the Legs onthe 1/2 body mount next to the foot so I made a cool mount, but non of the eyes or head or ANY slippage was had ... AND it wasn't a cool day there either
smile.gif
!!

SO, that having happened, I'm not too worried... on a few days, I wouldn't sweat it !!!

JUST my luck though I'm wrong and Chamoise and Tahr are the only ones that last more then a few days
smile.gif
!! HAHA !!

So, the Flight service will salt or freeze the moose capes, on an early pick-up?

It would be kind of interesting to see the results of a bad taxidermey, due to the hide not being taken care of. I thought the Salt was supposed to "set" the hair.
confused.gif

elkgrin.gif

THEY will do what ever I pay them to do I guess
smile.gif
smile.gif
I'm not sure exactly what the plan is.. I'm guessing they'll freeze the capes or something for me... I'll Turn all the stuff in the field, I'll have a razor for the work and IF they salt it, LBG will pick me up and I'll leave them with him to do the tanning, then it will all get shipped back to me and my taxidermist here will do the work... I don't get the BAD taxidermist reference you were talking about ?!?!?!

SALT, does work, It kills the BActerria that eats the Hair particle and pulls the moisture out to "SET" the hair as well.. It really is AWSOME if you have salt.... THAT bewing said, MY experience in NEW ZEALAND taught me I don't need to pannic if I can't salt it right away for a few days... THE longer you wait , the MORe problems you'll have though I'm sure... LIKe leaving milk out on the COUNTER....At some point you'll just have to throw it away
frown.gif

The "bad taxidermist" question was actually "bad taxidermey", where I just wondered what one would look like, if they tried to use a bad hide. Is it look "kinda bad", or does it look "horrible"? I was not mentioning a "Bad Taxidermist".

Although, I do have one Taxidermist that has had Antelope horns of mine since '97. Do you think he might be bad????? I should call him next week, and see if they are done.
wink.gif
wink.gif

elkgrin.gif

HAVE you ever seen my TAHR mount ? LOOK at the Critters Left leg,, the foot is covered in Snow.. THAT was the result of some Rottting neer the foot becasue I truely fugged it up there
frown.gif
MY taxidermist saved the day and I still got the 1/2 body mount....

nzmounts1.jpg

I've seen BAD taxidermy !! And I've seen hair slipage, I know both happen, I've been lucky enough not to have either on non of my few critters....

OHH If you get board, Check out this link : http://www.huntandlodge.com/gallery/mounts

MOSt of the pictures are dark.. sorry
frown.gif

AND all you were having done was a EURO mount huh
wink.gif

You won't believe this, but Yes!!!! All I wanted was a Euro mount, black horns, white skull, and a dark board. And 6 years later, it ain't done yet....
redface.gif

I'll show you the rest of my Euro's, they are in the landscaping on the way to the front door. Scares the neighbor's little kids away...
mad.gif

elkgrin.gif

Elkgunner.. don't you know how to do Euro's yourself ? they're fairly easy.. Although I'm not the best, I can show ya how to do it in 1 day's time... Although the 6 year wait is good too
wink.gif

HERE"s a question.. was your Antelope a bow take ? you weren't hunting with another guy in NAMPA were ya ?

Ditto what LBG said. For sheep I was toting a 1L bottle of salt. In an effort to decrease my pack weight even further, I stopped packing salt. My salt stays where the plane drops me off, whether it be 5lbs of salt or 50lbs. Do what LBG says and ensure you cape and flesh your hide properly first. Depending on weather, you should have about 4 days (maybe longer if it is cooler) before your cape needs salted. Once your cape starts to stiffen, you should fold it up flesh to flesh, so transporting and handling will be a little easier.

smile.gif
vis

The problem with salt is that most people dont know how to do it properly. Most people dont flesh out the hide before they salt it, or they use to much and the damn hide is like a piece of wood. Or people dont let it drain. salt pulls moisture out of the hide and hence it has to be drained. My wife laughs when 2 hunters who plan on hunting bears (both plan on taking 1 bear) and ask for a 50lb bag. I've never used salt on any of my animals, so far I havent had any slippage (knock on wood), and I've only used salt on 2 hunts for my friends critters. Ovis's ram we didnt use much on and my buddies bear last spring. we would salt them, and check on them the next day or 2, add salt to some areas that needed it.

Back