Question on locating a bull from last year

JB Florida

This will be my 3rd year hunting the same unit.

Have you found the same bull in the same area the following season ( 1 year later)? That would be baring his early demise :D During last season!

Is this the case with elk and mule deer?

JB, this is my second season in the same unit & I'm hoping I find just the opposite...that is, a bull where there has been none. Did you see a nice one last year? Mind sending the coordinates? ;)

Seriously, I've seen the maps that supposedly show seasonal migration routes, birthing grounds, etc., but I'm still fanning air.

Good luck.

I've found the bucks in the same area in subsequent years. Especially, if the deer knows its a good hiding spot but I couldn't tell you if that applies to elk since I've never seen the same elk the following year. I know my brother killed a radio collared cow once with his bow and when he returned the collar they said she was killed 40 miles from where she had been collared years earlier.

I have seen the same bulls/cows in the same area many times. I dont count on the antlers being the same, I usually take some pics and then compare the herds....

Just remember - elk can range a long way under certain conditions, and it may be a while in between sightings.

I asked because I found a couple of good bulls in the same area last season fom the one before ...... But had to leave my hunt early due to circumstances at home. I'm looking for a short cut on scouting since I'm at the other end of the US from my elk hunt.

Good info there Tom, but baiting could have something to do with the Jackson herd. Example: Elkhunters back yard herd!

I guess it really does not matter if they are the same bulls.
With white-tails they tend to grow old in a certain hard to reach are(or so close you walk right by them)
As long as I can get in the bulls right away :D
Just in case another Hurricane happens back home!

Thanks Guys,

Back