PEAX Equipment

Question for Arizona residents

Washington Hunter

My parents just recently retired and they are now in Arizona for the winter, in their motorhome. I am planning on flying down next month and visiting them for a few days and hopefully will get to see some different scenery and maybe even some wildlife. Just wondering if you guys who live down there could give me some recommendations on where I might be able to go within a reasonable driving distance of Phoenix to have a chance of seeing some scenic country and possibly a chance of seeing some of those monster mulies you have down there. I would actually love to see the Grand Canyon but from looking at the map it appears to be a good 3 or 4 hour drive, and I don't know if we'll have time for that. I'm thinking there's got to be some awesome spots to check out within half of the distance it is to the Grand Canyon? I will most likely be limited to paved roads or at least good gravel roads, as I don't know what I will have for a rental car. But I will have my hiking boots, binos, and digital camera with 10x optical zoom. I'm open to any ideas you guys may have. This is kind of a big deal for me, the only place I've ever flown was Reno, and the only vacation I ever take is during hunting season, and mostly here in Washington. I'm looking forward to getting out of this rain, and into the sun for a few days, but I sure as heck don't want to spend all that time in the city!

For some real nice mullies right now the best place is the north rimm thats about 5-6 hours. from phx

as for elk and antelope hit the grand canyon(south rim) its a 3-4 hour drive. from phx.
driving up to the south rim you will be in unit 9 and its 1/2 desert and half pines and loaded with elk. just pic a dirt road and drive it.
most of Our dirt roads in az a yugo can drive without getting stuck.

for some pretty nice elk and couse deer you can drive 1.5-2 hours away but the dirt road is a bit muddy if it rains/snow if it doesnt you will me ok .

I would be more than happy to show you around, but I have a big tourny at the end of feb and will be fishing almost everyday of the month. But as time gets closer if I feel comfortable on the water I would take a dday or 2 off of fishing.

Delw

If you see any big mulies that you dont have to go through Utah and back down let me know, I tried to find them for years. But if you just want to see some awesome area go to Sedona and Oak Creek canyon. You'll really enjoy the scenery and if your lucky you will see some trophy honeys from around the world!!
hump.gif
From there just go up the canyon twords Flagstaff and try to reach the top around sunset, you will see some deer and definetly will see elk. There is a few decent dirt roads you can take up on top to get off the road, but if they look muddy avoid them at all costs, been stuck on those roads more than once!
confused.gif

Thanks everybody for the help. Delw, that's amazing you are bass fishing down there in the middle of the winter. My brother is into bass fishing, he'd love to be able to fish for them year around. You mentioned Coues deer, actually it would be great if I could see some of those, as I've seen and killed plenty of mulies in my own state. I still want to check out your mule deer country some, but it doesn't sound like I'd have to go that far to see the coues deer (and elk) and actually my dad has a little Nissan 4x4 pickup that they tow behind the motorhome, we could probably take that, the only problem is there is only enough room for two in that little truck. So what direction do I have to go to get into the Coues deer? Got any GPS coordinates?
biggrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-18-2004 10:30: Message edited by: Washington Hunter ]</font>

Beardown, Is the "top" you are talking about between Sedona and Flagstaff, on the highway called 89A (on my map anyway)??? The dirt roads, would those be on the west side of that highway? Thanks

P.S. Where exactly do I find those "trophy honeys?" And being that they will actually be in-season, how would you recommend I go about bagging one?
biggrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-18-2004 10:39: Message edited by: Washington Hunter ]</font>

Washington, we have mule deer with in 20 mins of downtown phx elk with in 1-2 hours and antelope within 3 hours couse deer with in 1-2 hours, Dont know if you want to see numbers or size. Thats makes a big difference.

89a does goto flagstaff from verde valley and its an awsum view, not as good as the canyons on the north rim or even in some other parts of the state.

Thats the only reason I still live here is due to the bass fishing, cause while the hunting is fantastic getting drawn SUCKS.

If it wasnt for the bass fishing I would be up in wy montana or idaho, maybe even north dakota,

Delw

From Phoenix ( Scottsdale/Mesa area ), try driving north east up hiway 87 to Payson & beyond. Some nice country up there. Another nice site seeing drive is up I-17 towards Flagstaff.

Washington.....yeah it is 89A and by the top I mean when you climb out of the canyon. Jusat drive through you'll see what I'm talkin about. If you have that truck it should be no problem and all the roads I'm talkin about are on the west side. There is one if you look on the map that will take you all the way into the back side of Flagg. It is mainly a ranch road and usually is kept in good shape. Lots of deer and elk on that one........As for the Honeys you have to stop in Sedona and walk around the shops, they are everywhere!!!! Just say you are a local and you'll bag one, just act like you know the area, they wont even know what the hell your saying since most speak sweedish or german!!
shhh.gif
hump.gif
hump.gif

WH, when are you going to be down here...id like to get out sometime and take the dog up north, if you let me know when your here i could possibly take you up some places.
az79

Delw,

I'd prefer size over numbers, as I am always hearing about the monsters you guys have down there. But really I just want to see some nice scenery, any wildlife sightings would just be a bonus.

azhunter79,

I will be there Feb. 14th to the 18th, although I will not arrive in Phoenix until around 10 p.m. on the 14th. How far is Gilbert from Phoenix? I couldn't find it on my map. I see from your profile that besides hunting you're into beer and women...maybe you and I should head to Sedona one evening and hunt for some of those "trophy honeys" Beardown promises are there!
biggrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-19-2004 13:23: Message edited by: Washington Hunter ]</font>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I see from your profile that besides hunting you're into beer and women...maybe you and I should head to Sedona one evening and hunt for some of those "trophy honeys" Beardown promises are there! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sedona has women but if your not into self enimas,gay, self mutilation(piercings),gay , vegitaruanism(sp), GAY, wine and cheese, gay and most of all gay, then your not going to get lucky in sedona.
gilbert is east of phoenix next to apache junction i am in the northwest portion of the phx area.
'

Delw

Back