Caribou Gear

Quest for a Sask whitetail daily updates

Not much of an update today I had to work (shocker I do work lol) so went for a quick hour or so drive before work and only saw Mulies. Southerly wind tomorrow so I’ll be back in my favourite deer blind from dark to dark. Supposed to be colder then it has been lately. I’ll be burning lots of propane tomorrow trying to stay kinda warm

Coming from a neighbouring Albertan, some of those bucks would have been dead to rights. Unfortunately around southern Alberta, most every buck with visible antlers(no matter how small) are shot on sight by the majority of guys as "meat bucks."

I haven't harvested a whitetail buck since 2010, with the biggest being 130ish. Just hoping for something in the 150ish class.

Although the biggest whitetail I've seen was just a couple days ago, in town, and would go 180 easily.

Not much to report today 4 small bucks I saw in the fields at first and last light and 6 small bucks including crazy horn and 3 does at my bait all day. Couple younger bucks were chasing one of the foes pretty hard. Maybe she will drag in a big one. Any day now the mature bucks should start cruising looking for the last few does again. See what tomorrow brings I guess
686BFD95-53B9-41DB-8116-AEC004DFCCC0.jpeg

You have more will power than me passing those bucks. I've only taken 1 whitetail and want to start hunting them. This thread is a good example of Bergmann's Rule.

Well not much of a story on this guy. Sat my bait from 8-4 today seeing two small bucks two does and a fawn that was there most of the day. Cameras and deer action showed lock down was in full force. Finally at 4 left my bait to watch field edges for a bit. After a hour or so of seeing nothing called it and decided to leave a bit early. As I was driving out spotted this guy locked with a doe in the alfalfa field. Quick look through the spitting scope and I would have swore he was my last week buck quarter mile from that bait old face heavy tall 4x4. Didn’t look much more then that. If I would have looked a bit closer I would have realized it wasn’t my last week buck. With nothing bigger sighted or on camera thought this was a perfect time to take him.

Anyways they were bedded 200 yards off a trail so I drive down the trail right to them. They were up on top of a hill with no stalk in sight and only 15 minutes of legal left I had to make something happen. Anyways got within a 150 yards or so and she started to run and he followed. Bailed out got setup and just as I was about to shoot him running he hammered on the brakes to look for the doe as they got separated a bit. Kaboom follows by whap and he runs off with a broken shoulder. That surprised me I have shot 10 or 12 deer with my 300 mag and all have dropped instantly. Anyways pick up my brass get situated and in the truck and drive over there. Takes me five or so minutes to find the blood trail due to poor marking it I find it follow him 50 or so yards into the bush and find him trying to get up. A finisher ends that. That’s when I realized I have mis identified him. He’s a mature buck which is good but I’m kinda disappointed with myself for not paying more attention. I have always heard late November early December is the time for big ones with bucks searching for the last hot doe and coming back to the bait to fatten up for winter. Guess we will see what cameras pick up from now on. I’ll keep the baits running for the last 10 days of season here too just in case I find someone to take out. Phots suck it was pretty dark by time I got hun drug back to the truck. Big bodied bugger for sure. Was fun loading him alone. Ironic I spend 45 hours in a blind freezing kind of only to shoot him driving out lol
7A1660F3-B325-4E34-8B01-25C25733F360.jpeg
90B8C362-3055-41E8-9857-F73054E3625F.jpeg82679FA5-3A24-448B-AF0A-7ADB5619EA09.jpeg

He's a great buck ! That would be a once-in-a-lifetime deer for many hunters !! Hope you bring us along as you continue to check cameras !!

Back