Caribou Gear Tarp

Quality spotter or binos?

Clzandstra79

For you western guys what’s your preference for for optics? I have a vortex spotter and tripod but I don’t have much as far as quality goes for binos. I’ve only deer hunted here in IL my whole life and you don’t really need high end optics for that. I’m looking at getting into so western hunts in the next couple years. I’ve been building points in WY for goats and mule deer. CO for elk and hope to someday maybe get lucky with a NM elk tag. So what would you guys rather have? A high end spotter? High end binos? Maybe both?

If I had to have one it would be better binos. You'll end up using them way more than a scope. If you put a good set of binos on a tripod you can see pretty far easily pick up movement. If you like to glass, it's best to have both, but my vote is 'nockers

High end binos to start with. Get a quality pair of 10x42s and spend the rest of the money on tags. You will figure out what you need gear wise the more time you spend out in the field.

High end binos and a tripod adapter for your binos. I prefer the outdoorsmans mini mount. I use my binos so often compared to my spotter, “both high end” that I consider leaving the spotter. If it wasn’t for the phone skope and taking pictures I would probably leave the spotter.

Are you likely to be hunting timber, above timber line, or out in the flats? My rational was I was going to be hunting quite a bit of open country because I was just building points in several states so unlikely to draw many great tags any time soon but back then could draw a very huntable pronghorn buck tag as a 2nd choice in WY as a nonresident. I figured would spend a few hours behind my binos for every hour on my spotting scope (heat waves make higher magnification more challenging to focus) and would only be using my scope for a few minutes most hunts.

So, I got nice binos to start then upgraded the spotter when had the cash then finally upgraded the scopes on my two rifles. Then upgraded the spotter's tripod. Then drew a muzzleloader tag so got a muzzleloader then drew an archery tag so got a bow. Then wanted to upgrade the bivvy tent. And the pack. And the warm weather hiking boots then drew a late season tag so got cold weather boots then drew mountain goat tag so got crampons etc.

What became obvious was how much I valued staying warm while out in the weather and comfortable as slept. I would give up my binos on a hunt before would give up my comfortable boots. A good sleeping pad is worth a lot to me about night three of a hunt.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back