Pyramid Lumber in Seeley Lake, MT Closing

Last edited:
Super unfortunate.
I’m the first person in my family not to work in the lumber industry. I probably would if it was an option for a stable life.
My dad retired from Tricon, worked at Smurfitt stone for 20+ years before it closed.
Mom and stepdad worked at Stimson until its closure.
Both parents worked at Champion and International.
Dad used to be the superintendent of the little mill in Ashland in the 80s

After the Stimson closure my stepdad started a log trucking business. His uncle built logging roads. So did his grandfather. His other uncle owned a logging business.

My mother’s dad was a logger, then owned Miller Saws, the Stihl shop (not to be confused with Missoula Saws owned by different millers) in Missoula. His brother was a timber cruiser for the USFS.
My mom’s grandfather on her moms side logged the big wood in Oregon with cross cuts prior to the invention of the chainsaw.

In the early 2000s I had about 12 aunts, uncles cousins and my brother employed at Stone and Stimson and others working in the woods.

Aside from pressure washing my step dads trucks and uncles equipment for a few extra dollars as a kid, or riding along in high school to put on chains and bumb knots before he loaded out of decks from small jobs that didn’t have a limber, I’ve never worked a full day of my adult life in the timber industry and probably never will.

Super unfortunate.
I’m the first person in my family not to work in the lumber industry. I probably would if it was an option for a stable life.
My dad retired from Tricon, worked at Smurfitt stone for 20+ years before it closed.
Mom and stepdad worked at Stimson until its closure.
Both parents worked at Champion and International.
Dad used to be the superintendent of the little mill in Ashland in the 80s

After the Stimson closure my stepdad started a log trucking business. His uncle built logging roads. So did his grandfather. His other uncle owned a logging business.

My mother’s dad was a logger, then owned Miller Saws, the Stihl shop (not to be confused with Missoula Saws owned by different millers) in Missoula. His brother was a timber cruiser for the USFS.
My mom’s grandfather on her moms side logged the big wood in Oregon with cross cuts prior to the invention of the chainsaw.

In the early 2000s I had about 12 aunts, uncles cousins and my brother employed at Stone and Stimson and others working in the woods.

Aside from pressure washing my step dads trucks and uncles equipment for a few extra dollars as a kid, or riding along in high school to put on chains and bumb knots before he loaded out of decks from small jobs that didn’t have a limber, I’ve never worked a full day of my adult life in the timber industry and probably never will.

My family is a lot smaller, but otherwise shockingly similar.

The same Grandpa I mentioned above, starting working in the mills when he got home from WW2, and then retired from Champion in 1985. My dad worked at Champion from 1975 until it closed, and then worked at Stone until it closed.

Now I'm designing subdivisions on the exact lot they worked at for so long. I wonder what percentage of current Missoulians are even aware of the city's timber history.

Now I'm designing subdivisions on the exact lot they worked at for so long. I wonder what percentage of current Missoulians are even aware of the city's timber history.

But now you get the option of either paying 500k for a 700 sqft apartment or 1.2m for a 2000 sqft one in the "Old Sawmill District" :sick:

Last edited by a moderator:
Out walking the dogs this morning. Little bit surprised to see the new real estate sign up.

View attachment 319396

Not surprised at the listed price.

I know of almost 5000 acres on the East side for just under 18 million. Way better deal per acre. And elk hunting too. mtmuley

And I'm working building homes on some of these large properties. I doubt many people from Missoula to Darby are even remotely aware of the timber industry that used to be here. Just us locals probably. mtmuley

Sad thread for sure... things sure are changing fast
15 years ago a a 5 unit townhouse around Denver could be picked up for 400k. Unreal to think of anyone 'starting out' with a 1.2M mortgage.

I wish. Fantastic property. Saw a jet fly low and slow over it a bit ago. And a helicopter just now. mtmuley
The flight path for the Hamilton Airport goes right over the Bitterroot Nursery. The private jets coming and going on an average summer day last year was mind boggling! They are already starting to show up this spring.

Zoning in the Bitterroot? Never. The Bitterroot is the best example I know of to show what happens to a pretty valley with no zoning.
Yep.

Whether we like it or not, change is happening here. However, the pragmatic idealist in me wishes we could learn from the countless places who've been down this road before and try do something to help the situation, but...

that brings up the dreaded "regulation" word.

I really hope our local, legitimate complaints can (before it's too late) inspire action to work out common sense ways the help the Valley.

s

Bummer, but only 250 jobs between them both? I’m sure there are a bunch more indirect jobs that will feel the crunch like foresters, sawyers and truck drivers though. Unfortunate shifting economy from people that do something tangible to people that stare at computers

Any good guess on where local wood products will come from? I don’t know what montana has for other nearby mills. Going to be more lumber going east on highway 12 from Idaho?

Bummer, but only 250 jobs between them both? I’m sure there are a bunch more indirect jobs that will feel the crunch like foresters, sawyers and truck drivers though. Unfortunate shifting economy from people that do something tangible to people that stare at computers

Any good guess on where local wood products will come from? I don’t know what montana has for other nearby mills. Going to be more lumber going east on highway 12 from Idaho?
St Regis, Deer Lodge and Livingston are still open.
Does Columbia Falls still have a mill?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back