MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Pyramid Lumber in Seeley Lake, MT Closing

Someone has probably put timber industry culture into words. I haven't, and probably couldn't; too far removed. I think many folks would be surprised how different it is from other ag-based communities. The complexity of communities certainly gets washed out when unique pieces go away.

When I read of these stories, all I can think about is the 2008 Congressional hearings when the rational for bailing out some dumbass Wall Street risk takers was that some companies were "Too Big To Fail." And, thus Congress bailed them out. Yet, small businesses are supposed to sink or swim on their own, subject to a lot of economic conditions they have no control over.

And then the Beltway crowd wonders why the rural working person in small town America feels so ignored.

I'd much rather fund support for Pyramid and the many other small businesses where this story repeats weekly in small town America than to fund a bunch of smart ass Wall Streeters who get paid fortunes for taking risk and get bailed out by Uncle Sam when the bet goes sour.

Not that my rant that is 15 years old helps the folks in Seeley.
Correct, and another big problem is that even when Congress tries to take corrective actions, the same Wall Street crowd does everything they can to make sure those actions favor large business.

Look no farther than farm subsidies. I don't believe most American taxpayers have a problem with subsidizing family type farm businesses. But, the problem is, there is nothing to ensure that big Corporate farms don't suck up the majority of that money. Corporate farms that are syphoning money from the intended use that don't need it, making larger profits, and putting an even further squeeze on those the subsidy programs are supposed to be helping.

IMO, it would be no different if the taxpayer tried to prop up small mills in Western Montana. The good intentions of the taxpayer to get help to those needing the support would be getting a sliver while good old Corporate America was raking in even higher profits. While, at the same time, once again, squeezing out the smaller businesses.

Has anyone heard a statement from Governor GG? Daines? Zinke? Tester? Rosendale (that's a joke really)? about efforts to get these people retraining, help, etc. that are losing their jobs in Seeley?

I'll not hold my breath...

For the record, my Dad went through several layoffs and shutdowns over the years exactly like this. Back then, the politicians that they sent to represent them, actually did reach out and get them assistance, help, retraining, find other jobs, etc. Max Baucus, Pat Williams, Rick Hill, seemed to be the best at doing what they could for Montana labor.

Last edited:
Sen Daines campaign slogan has always been Jobs! Jobs! Jobs! But I think the only job he's lobbied for is his own!
All I know is if I were running for re-election for the Senate, I'd be making a trip to Seeley with a gaggle of reporters in tow. You want to drum up some support for yourself and get some votes, do something for 75 people in small town Montana, more commonly known as your JOB.

Just sayin'...

My Grandfather's hunting partner Sam was killed by a Grizzly right above Ovando. When my Grandpa found him the next spring, the barrel of his rifle was bent. The legend grew that Sam bent the barrel hitting the bear.

The rifle was hanging above the bar at Trixi's for years. Hopefully it ended up with one of Sam's relatives.

It's terrible news about Pyramid, but unfortunately it was probably inevitable. That town has a lot going for it, and will be fine. A lot of blue collar families will be forced out though, which is a shame, and becoming way too common in this part of Montana.
What kind of rifle was it?

Tester and Daines were mentioned...

Zinke and Maryland Matt not mentioned, GG is MIA too.
Well, Democrats have been staunch supporters of the timber industry so…………

Reactions: OMB
I read that. Agree completely, it sucks.

It hits home for me, also. When the Boise Cascade mill in our little town of 500+ people closed, the entire place went into a tailspin and it never recovered. I left five years after that event. The town now has about 180 people. You can buy a home for about the price of a new pickup. There's not even a place to eat. There are pretty much no jobs, so most folks still there are retired. Fond memories when I return, but it is only a shadow of its vibrant self when the mill was operating.

The social turmoil and disruption that comes with huge changes in these small towns that are reliant on one main employer is hard to explain. It permeates every corner of life and usually not for the positive.

I feel for the folks at Seeley. It's a neat little town.
I grew up in the Midwest with our town of 5,000 the largest in any direction for 15 miles and the county seat of our county that had 13,000 total. The cookie factory closed, the frozen food factory closed, farming took more acres to support the newer equipment that saved labor so fewer farmers and a small livestock-related manufacturer closed.

The daily newspaper (5 days a week) dropped to twice weekly before a decade passed and is now a weekly hanging on for dear life. There as another weekly newspaper and it closed almost immediately. We had 5 full-service grocery stores and a butcher. Now there is one grocery store and a Dollar Store. Merchant Row around the Courthouse Square is just all but empty. Down to one bar and two liquor stores. Houses became empty, fell into disrepair and were bulldozed leaving pockets of empty lots next to homes that survived. The graduating classes at the high school have fallen to less than half of my class.

I moved far away by my mid-20s and now in my 60s it is bitter-sweet to roll into the town that is now 2,300 people in a county of 8,000. I go back to see friends then silently drive around town after the bar closes cruising by where friends used to live and we used to get into trouble doing dumb kid things. About a third of my buddies have passed away now. I have two relatives left from the prior generation. The contraction of my childhood town makes perfect economic sense but still pains me to watch the drain-circling.

Sorry to see this happen to Pyramid Lumber and the town of Seely Lake. I've managed sawmills that got shut down. Some people will have worked there since high-school for maybe 30 plus years, and not worked anywhere else, making it hard to find other employment even if willing to relocate. Lumber prices aren't really the issue as Pyramid survived decades of much lower prices even adjusted for inflation.

I grew up in the Midwest with our town of 5,000 the largest in any direction for 15 miles and the county seat of our county that had 13,000 total. The cookie factory closed, the frozen food factory closed, farming took more acres to support the newer equipment that saved labor so fewer farmers and a small livestock-related manufacturer closed.

The daily newspaper (5 days a week) dropped to twice weekly before a decade passed and is now a weekly hanging on for dear life. There as another weekly newspaper and it closed almost immediately. We had 5 full-service grocery stores and a butcher. Now there is one grocery store and a Dollar Store. Merchant Row around the Courthouse Square is just all but empty. Down to one bar and two liquor stores. Houses became empty, fell into disrepair and were bulldozed leaving pockets of empty lots next to homes that survived. The graduating classes at the high school have fallen to less than half of my class.

I moved far away by my mid-20s and now in my 60s it is bitter-sweet to roll into the town that is now 2,300 people in a county of 8,000. I go back to see friends then silently drive around town after the bar closes cruising by where friends used to live and we used to get into trouble doing dumb kid things. About a third of my buddies have passed away now. I have two relatives left from the prior generation. The contraction of my childhood town makes perfect economic sense but still pains me to watch the drain-circling.
You ever hear the Iris Dement song, "Our Town?"

Your story sounds exactly like my hometown, albeit a bit larger. We were 2,000 but still a well-rounded little town. When I go back now, I am overwhelmed with sadness to the point of tears. Not to mention the substance abuse and broken relationships that follows the economic despair.

You ever hear the Iris Dement song, "Our Town?"

Your story sounds exactly like my hometown, albeit a bit larger. We were 2,000 but still a well-rounded little town. When I go back now, I am overwhelmed with sadness to the point of tears. Not to mention the substance abuse and broken relationships that follows the economic despair.
Just listened to the song. Thanks for the recommendation. Springsteen's My Hometown. Paul Simon's My Little Town. Cut deep as drive around the old hometown. Both of my childhood homes are still standing and as I drive by them I hear Lambert's The House that Built Me.

Out walking the dogs this morning. Little bit surprised to see the new real estate sign up.

View attachment 319396

Not surprised at the listed price.

🤮🤮🤮. At least it’s listed as one chunk and not split into multiple little home sites. Any zoning rules that will prevent it from being split?

🤮🤮🤮. At least it’s listed as one chunk and not split into multiple little home sites. Any zoning rules that will prevent it from being split?

This is the start of the listing description:

“JUST TAKE A LOOK AT THESE VIEWS!! This beautiful 189± acre parcel has many excellent building sites and can be subdivided pending approval of Ravalli County Planning Board.”

No. A retired pro basketball player bought the farm on the north side of the road, and has done a remarkable job restoring it. Doubt he would buy this piece of unirrigated sagebrush at this price. Probably be split into 20 acre lots, for trophy homes. Is what it is.

No. A retired pro basketball player bought the farm on the north side of the road, and has done a remarkable job restoring it. Doubt he would buy this piece of unirrigated sagebrush at this price. Probably be split into 20 acre lots, for trophy homes. Is what it is.
So long open space

An area I grew up deer hunting has seen tons of change in the last twenty years as old landowners have passed away and the kids have inherited the lands. A bunch has been split up and now is occupied by either trophy homes or wanna be off gridders. Most of them all talk about escaping from some other place and how bad development is.

Their is also one person buying up big chunks of it and doing a bunch of habitat work, restoration and basically allowing no access. She isn’t popular with the locals due to being different. I’ll admit I miss hunting the land she owns but I’m also alright with knowing it’s almost certainly safe from development and gives the critters some refuge

Back