Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Public gun range issues

Our public gun range used to be a scary place as some of you have described. I once watched a guy dump a full mag from an AK into a puddle in the parking lot! In the last few years it has really been cleaned up. Only targets allowed are paper or clay pigeons and they usually have a volunteer range master there now.

I joined a gun club last year. I'm not really a joiner and having to be an NRA member to join gave me pause but being down the road it's just to convenient and the facilities and safety are worth it.

People trash some BLM land with their shooting when there is a nice, affordable gun range 5 miles closer to town.
Same near me. There is a range nearby that is literally $16 for a yearly membership(of course god only know what kind of yahoos shoot there). People still go shoot illegally on State Forest land.

In Monterey County I used a public range that had a rangemaster that was always very strict. I think the cease fire times were according to the clock. I believe you could shoot for about 15 to 20 minutes. Cease fire was then announced and everyone had to step behind a line. No one could touch anything at the benches during the cease fire. I didn't like some of the strict rules but I would take that over the ranges in this area.
One of the best ranges I've ever used was the Santa Clara County range out off Monterrey Highway. Their range master was tough. I don't even know if it's still open.

Seems to me that the only solutions are to have round the clock staff, or vetting of members.

I used to belong to a club that had a pretty extensive membership process.
1. A current, active, member had to vouch for you.
2. You had to attend a membership meeting to fill out the application. $100 application fee.
3. If you application was acceptable, you would be invited to another meeting where they would go over all the rules and regulations, show you the facilities, how things worked, etc...
4. If you did all that, you had to attend a second membership meeting. At that meeting, you would get up in front of the membership group (70-80 people) and introduce yourself and talk about why you want to be a member of this club. Afterwards they would ask you to leave and the members would vote whether or not to allow you in.
5. If voted in, you would be notified by mail to send in your 1st years dues and a deposit for the gate key.
6. Probationary period for the 1st year of membership(no voting rights, unable to vouch for new members). You also had to complete 4 hours of work duty to the club within the first year or send a "work party fee" of $40.

Jumping through all those hoops kept most of the yahoo's out, but there was still issues from time to time.

For most of my real shooting I wait until it's raining or snowing before even attempting to go to the range. Right before season I have one spot above the house I'll sneak out to and pop off a couple of rounds to verify zero, but I don't want people to start thinking of it as a "shooting spot" then it'll get trashed.

I think public land recreational shooting, at least on federal land, will be outlawed in my life due to the inability of users to pick up their trash.

Seems to me that the only solutions are to have round the clock staff, or vetting of members.

I used to belong to a club that had a pretty extensive membership process.
1. A current, active, member had to vouch for you.
2. You had to attend a membership meeting to fill out the application. $100 application fee.
3. If you application was acceptable, you would be invited to another meeting where they would go over all the rules and regulations, show you the facilities, how things worked, etc...
4. If you did all that, you had to attend a second membership meeting. At that meeting, you would get up in front of the membership group (70-80 people) and introduce yourself and talk about why you want to be a member of this club. Afterwards they would ask you to leave and the members would vote whether or not to allow you in.
5. If voted in, you would be notified by mail to send in your 1st years dues and a deposit for the gate key.
6. Probationary period for the 1st year of membership(no voting rights, unable to vouch for new members). You also had to complete 4 hours of work duty to the club within the first year or send a "work party fee" of $40.

Jumping through all those hoops kept most of the yahoo's out, but there was still issues from time to time.
That's why I belong to two membership ranges. They are keep clean or the people caught messing them up would have their membership revoked.

The shame of this thread is I enjoy shooting. If I could afford it, I would shoot 50+ rounds every Saturday morning. I've not started reloading yet but I could easily see myself going down that rabbit hole. I don't even mind waiting for a barrel to cool. I just read. But I don't feel safe much after 0800 so I have to get up early and do the best I can. No private options. Lots of public land but not quite sure where to go be safe with hikers.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back