Caribou Gear

Prove me wrong: Map data collection

The usefulness of the data would likely be tied to the density of the animal. Probably not useful for something that is distributed everywhere like whitetail in the mid west. But could quite useful for moose in Idaho.

Also elk shed symbols could be a gold mine.

The original idea is that the owners and hunters that are sponsored by these platforms have a "hint" of where to start based on user trends. Then the idea of live updates was intriguing to me. But to think that they Do have the ability. It's beneficial to them for their other uses. YouTube views ECT. Again this is all speculation and I'm not big on conspiracies. Just a fun thing to think about. 🤔

The hunting public showed up to two of my public land spots and walked within 3 feet of the place where I killed deer…

I dont beleive in coincidences….

What are the odds in those guys finding a specific hard to get to spots way off the road hunting spot in the entire CONUS then walking
3 feet of the tree I climb? They should play the powerball tonight before they draw the damn numbers….

That big buck he killed in Georgia with a muzzleloader is one of the deer I’m talking about specifically….There is 100% no way that they found that spot on their own in the entire state of Georgia. Not a chance. I will NOT believe it.

Last edited:
If you really want to throw a curve just mark every spot you answer the call of mother nature at....

The hunting public showed up to two of my public land spots and walked within 3 feet of the place where I killed deer…

What are the odds in those guys finding a specific hard to get to spots way off the road hunting spot in the entire CONUS then walking
3 feet of the tree I climb? They should play the powerball tonight before they draw the damn numbers….

That big buck he killed in Georgia with a muzzleloader is one of the deer I’m talking about specifically….There is 100% no way that they found that spot on their own in the entire state of Georgia. Not a chance. I will NOT believe it.
Exactly.

Then how did you find it? What about the thousands of spots still un-THPd? Maybe thp has a leak in the nsa who is locating your phone via cell towers then putting up a air hammer or air rod asset to listen to your conversations and then sending the intel to thp.

Beleive what you want dude.

I’m telling you, the odds are 1:1,000,000 of walking up on one of those spots randomly……when it happened the second time……

I’m telling you, the odds are 1:1,000,000 of walking up on one of those spots randomly……when it happened the second time……
281B2AD9-910C-4142-9565-211B1CEC3B0B.jpeg
I have seen a stack inside of a roz over a target in Afghanistan with multi billions of dollars of air assets and 3 letter agency satellites that cant do what you’re claiming hippies with bows driving monte Carlos can do.

Last edited:
Then how did you find it? What about the thousands of spots still un-THPd? Maybe thp has a leak in the nsa who is locating your phone via cell towers then putting up a air hammer or air rod asset to listen to your conversations and then sending the intel to thp.
This is a travesty of justice. We need HUNTTALKMAN!!! Quick light the starfish!!!
Alert all citizens to don their armadillo hats, make sure they are covered in tinfoil.

I had this tech company do this whole sales pitch about using drones with thermal sensors to detect pad sites and then run cell phone tower data with “known” folks to try and figure out which frac crews were on site.

At the end of the presentation, I was like it’s a cool idea but we don’t need it, especially for that price. Guy was like, well then how do you know whose frac’ing what… I told him field guys go out to the same bars, live in the same town, hunt together… I just call a guy on our team and ask him whose over fracing where and he knows cause there all his buddies.

So… who’d you tell about your spot?

Call me a tin foil hat wearer or whatever you want but Im telling you that onX is the only place that had this data.

My own wife didn’t even know where I was hunting…..

I get it, from your shoes it’s hard to beleive but from my shoes there is only two ways, pure exponential luck, or someone had access to my data.

Either way, I don't really give a rip what you guys believe…Im just telling you what I have experienced and why I no longer use those type of services.

Hear me out... heat map all points/areas/tracks/etc. Who cares what the feature is for, all it means is that someone was either there or thought about going there. If you stay away from those areas you may see fewer people. Or just old people who don't know how to use Onx.
You have to realize that avoiding spots with people usually means there are no elk there, or it literally cannot be accessed. Lots of people COULD mean lots of elk. Few people could be where the geniuses are, but it could also be where the idiots are. I could see how it might turn up a few gems, like a spot everyone drives past because it looks too obvious or something, but I think for the most parts, it’s almost worthless, and it’s definitely not revealed anyone’s secret elk spot.

Just looking at terrain, trails, and roads will tell you a lot about where people are or are not.

You simply filter out the garbage.
I think the first thing you would do would be to filter all waypoints without the specific symbol you wanted.
If you’re looking for a symbol to mean something in my waypoints you’ll be sorely disappointed.

I'm confused why would anyone be walking around the woods creating garbage waypoints unless they thought they would be compromised?

If you had a draw tag in a unit you had never hunted and had info for all of the pins of that species. I suspect there would be clusters in some units. Now if you filter them to meet your conditions where would you hunt?
View attachment 248826
They’re garbage waypoints because 90% of the people who dropped them didn’t kill anything.

Also, almost the only things I mark in the field are where I parked, where I dropped something to pick up on my way back, where I took a shot from, and where I found blood or an animal. Sometimes I’ll mark a part of the trail that’s easy to loose, or a good place to cross a stream in case I’m coming back in the dark. And most of those are just an “X”. They darn sure aren’t a bull elk icon. While those icons may not be garbage to me, only one of them is going to tell you where an elk is. While you might be able to look at my waypoints individually and make a good guess about which one it is, I don’t see how you’re going to figure out which one it is when you add hundreds of other users to the mix.

I don't but if there is a cluster I could investigate and see if the location aligned with my own thoughts i would use it as a scouting tool not a directory.
So you’d find out that a bunch of people already killed elk in a spot that you knew was good, and should have been at this morning, and now the elk are likely gone, OR you’d find out that a lot of people thought it was a good spot, just like you did, and yet there were no elk there, AND you’d have no way to differentiate between the two choices. How valuable was that?

Back