Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Proof Research barrel or Bull Steel Barrel

WVmike

I have a Remington 700 in .308 with a choate stock that allows for a thicker diameter barrel. The current barrel is regular standard size that comes with the 700. I was looking into either getting a proof research 24-26" sendero style barrel or possibly looking into a steel bull barrel. The choate stock is already kinda hefty to begin with so I would like to pick up a carbon barrel but the price is quite substantial when compared to steel barrels. Anyone have any experience with replacing a standard barrel with a carbon barrel or steel bull barrel? Thanks for any input.

It's all about how much $ you want to spend. Really you'll save some weight and possibly have a perceived faster cooling barrel but aesthetics and weight savings seem to be the common reasons why carbon over steel. There are other companies like CarbonSix, Hells Canyon Armory, and others that make carbon barrels.

Don't forget you'll spend $ on having someone cut a chamber for you and while you're at it it may not hurt to true the action and possibly swap the trigger.

You could go the "Remage" barrel nut route to save a ton of money and buy a prefit, nut, nut wrench, and headspace gauges. There are a pile of companies that make them, and a ton of videos online and if you want a carbon barrel those are available too. X-Caliber makes one but I know there are a bunch of others.

+1 on the above info!
The carbon barrel advantage is some weight savings vs a steel barrel of similar diameter.
Why not got with say a #4/#5contour barrel fluted? It would still fit the stock reasonably well and keep your overall weight down.
Will you be having a gunsmith do the work Or remage style?

With a 4 lb stock (Ultimate Varminter), a couple ounces saved on the barrel will make zero difference.

Wifes rifle, factory Savage 110FP with 24" barrel & Choate Ultimate Varminter stock weighs right at 14 lbs.
No, we don't use it for hunting.. ;)

+1 on the above info!
The carbon barrel advantage is some weight savings vs a steel barrel of similar diameter.
Why not got with say a #4/#5contour barrel fluted? It would still fit the stock reasonably well and keep your overall weight down.
Will you be having a gunsmith do the work Or remage style?
I haven't checked in the remage style but I wouldn't be opposed to doing that myself to save some money.

It's all about how much $ you want to spend. Really you'll save some weight and possibly have a perceived faster cooling barrel but aesthetics and weight savings seem to be the common reasons why carbon over steel. There are other companies like CarbonSix, Hells Canyon Armory, and others that make carbon barrels.

Don't forget you'll spend $ on having someone cut a chamber for you and while you're at it it may not hurt to true the action and possibly swap the trigger.

You could go the "Remage" barrel nut route to save a ton of money and buy a prefit, nut, nut wrench, and headspace gauges. There are a pile of companies that make them, and a ton of videos online and if you want a carbon barrel those are available too. X-Caliber makes one but I know there are a bunch of others.
Correct me if I'm wrong. I can get a prefit remage barrel and then get the required tools for install for half the price of a carbon barrel? I wouldn't mind to go the remage route now that I have researched it a little bit. I wouldn't mind to keep it under $600 for the whole barrel setup which would knock out the carbon barrel idea even with a discount on proof research barrels.

Yep give or take depending on the barrel make...granted you'll need to buy a few tools to get started and have a basic understanding of how to use them. You may need to remove a bit of material from the stock to make room for the nut.

Yep give or take depending on the barrel make...granted you'll need to buy a few tools to get started and have a basic understanding of how to use them. You may need to remove a bit of material from the stock to make room for the nut.
Appreciate the info. I will definitely be looking into the remag route.

With the Savage/Remage setup, setting your headspace is easy.

Hand spin the nut on the barrel the whole way on the barrel & put in barrel vise.
Screw receiver on the barrel.
Put go gage in & close bolt.
Continue hand spinning receiver on till contact with go gage.
Hand spin nut down.
Remove go gage & tighten nut.
Check with go & no go gages.

I do not speak with any sage high end barrel understanding. The info I have is from a couple guys I know who work for Proof. Great company - even greater people. Guess what I'm sharing is a very bias opinion... Go with Proof. M friends are so involved with quality for the customer, if I had the $$$, I would heed their input and go from there. Stock weight plays a factor is all I would share though a few of the HT guru's here have far exceeded my understanding.

Share pics if/when done.

I've been looking into proof research, I would love to have a proof barrel I know the savage 110 ultralite comes with a proof barrel and I have heard good things about it.. keep us updated please

With a 4 lb stock (Ultimate Varminter), a couple ounces saved on the barrel will make zero difference.

Wifes rifle, factory Savage 110FP with 24" barrel & Choate Ultimate Varminter stock weighs right at 14 lbs.
No, we don't use it for hunting.. ;)
Am I the only one who took the *wink* emoji to mean that while you dont use it hunting that the rifle comes inside for adult-time between you two...?

Am I the only one who took the *wink* emoji to mean that while you dont use it hunting that the rifle comes inside for adult-time between you two...?
If it could make coffee & do the dishes, i wouldn't need a wife... :rolleyes:

It's our range/match rifle. Currently has a Sightron SIII 10-50X60 LRTD on it.

Mostly shooting tiny targets 100-400 yards.
We'll use it this spring for a 600 yard F-Class match. Local 1,000 yard range requires 1 match per year for membership.

Attachments

• 0315201009_copy_600x1067.jpg
    0315201009_copy_600x1067.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 3
Proof Research makes a good barrel. Not only is it light, but a light barrel keeps the balance between your hands.

A Remington Varmint/Sendero contour is very usable. I’ve done it many times. A rifle can still be built in the 8lb range and with a 24” or shorter barrel, the balance can be still be acceptable, although, for better balance, I’d consider a stock/base/rings/scope combo that put the rifle closer to 9.5lbs.

A Light Palma at 24”-26” can save you weight over the Sendero contour and leave plenty of meat on it where it counts. I’d have to check, but a Light Palma is eventually thicker than a Sendero contour somehwere out there. At 30” it’s the same 4.5lbs that a Sendero contour is at 26”. Both at 24” you’re looking at about 3.75lbs for the LP and 4.25lbs for the Sendero.

If you wanted to go any heavier than that, I would really recommend keeping the barrel very short. Not just for weight, but for balance. I like really long barrels, and don’t find the length to be cumbersome, BUT the balance being too far forward can become quite cumbersome, even if the total weight is fine. I also do not find a heavy rifle to be cumbersome...if it’s short!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back