Pronghorn in eastern Wyoming.

huntsducks

I will be in northwestern Nebraska in November for 2 weeks. Would it be possible to slip over to Wyoming for antelope? Are there any tags left and is there any public hunting in northeastern Wyoming? Any information would be most appreciated.

If there are left over permits, it is probably because it is in an area, where there is little public access. I picked up some permits last year for the area south of Lusk. There were far fewer antelope than I expected, as I remember how it was several years back. The amount of public access is limited and the public land is beat up pretty hard. If you find a place to go, I would suggest going early before the antelope are all scared onto private land. In many areas, it is tough to get private access, too.

Also very few antelope seasons still going in November. I can only think of a couple areas that don't close on Halloween or earlier.

If there are left over permits, it is probably because it is in an area, where there is little public access. I picked up some permits last year for the area south of Lusk. There were far fewer antelope than I expected, as I remember how it was several years back. The amount of public access is limited and the public land is beat up pretty hard. If you find a place to go, I would suggest going early before the antelope are all scared onto private land. In many areas, it is tough to get private access, too.

Thank you for the feedback. I have checked for left over tags. Just areas23 24 looks like. I did not see any real public land there. Since I have no contacts in Wyoming I guess I will have to wait until next year and maybe put in for the draw in an area that is more accessible. Thank you for all your feed back.

Thank you for the feedback. I have checked for left over tags. Just areas23 24 looks like. I did not see any real public land there. Since I have no contacts in Wyoming I guess I will have to wait until next year and maybe put in for the draw in an area that is more accessible. Thank you for all your feed back.
Don't forget to buy a preference point now towards your draw next year.

Just areas23 24 looks like. I did not see any real public land there.

You're kidding, right? Or maybe your definition of "real public land" is different than mine.

That said, I'm pretty sure the only permits left for those units are for private land, so public won't help you anyway.

You're going to be hard pressed to draw an area that's "more accessible" than 23 next year (unless you have a couple of points going in to the draw). It's pretty darn accessible as low point units go.

You're kidding, right? Or maybe your definition of "real public land" is different than mine.

That said, I'm pretty sure the only permits left for those units are for private land, so public won't help you anyway.

You're going to be hard pressed to draw an area that's "more accessible" than 23 next year (unless you have a couple of points going in to the draw). It's pretty darn accessible as low point units go.
Maybe I was looking at it wrong. The areas for permits were 23-2 and 24-1. Maybe the 2 and 1 signify that these are private land permits. I am new to this so I really need to study this.

There's a steep learning curve. I think the easiest way to do it is to go to the Wyoming hunt planner, and then just click on the drop down box for "available licenses" for that unit.

So if you do that here, it will tell you that a 23-2 license is for private land only.

There's a steep learning curve. I think the easiest way to do it is to go to the Wyoming hunt planner, and then just click on the drop down box for "available licenses" for that unit.

So if you do that here, it will tell you that a 23-2 license is for private land only.
Thanks I will have to just sit down one day and try to figure these codes out. Thank you.

You may consider buying a few doe permits for your hunt next year, just to get your feet on the ground. Put in for the area that you want to hunt bucks in, while you are gaining preference points. You will have a great hunt and some great meat. Horns taste like crap.

You may consider buying a few doe permits for your hunt next year, just to get your feet on the ground. Put in for the area that you want to hunt bucks in, while you are gaining preference points. You will have a great hunt and some great meat. Horns taste like crap.
I may do that. First I need to look at the area so I will have some idea as to what is there. Thank you for all your help.

Thanks I will have to just sit down one day and try to figure these codes out. Thank you.

If you download the regulation book it will tell you what the codes mean for each area. It's a pretty easy way to browse through and get a feel for what each area offers for tags, by type. 1,2,6,7 etc... I've found it helpful anyway.

If you download the regulation book it will tell you what the codes mean for each area. It's a pretty easy way to browse through and get a feel for what each area offers for tags, by type. 1,2,6,7 etc... I've found it helpful anyway.
Thanks for the tip. I will be doing this! Maybe next year I might get a tag!

Back