Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Professional optics. What would you choose?

Cpt.Flint

Hi everyone, hunting in Oregon for almost 8 years. I have tried some thermal scopes and one nightvision. While the thermal is superior there are some reasonably priced night vision scopes in the $500 range that I have been impressed with. But now the circumstances are such that I can afford much more than I could before. So I am about to buy a professional thermal binocular with at least 1500 ft range, rangefinder, video recording. And I'm considering three options Pulsar Accolade XQ38, N-Vision Optics Atlas, Pulsar Accolade XP50. What do you think?

Take a look over on the Texas Hunting Forum, they cover all the thermals over there. You can also rent some to try and see what you prefer.

You do not get the idea...Sure I do not use all the equipment I have (but speaking frankly I always take one set with me anyway) but soon I'll be able financially and by the law to use those I was talking about. I don't need to listen to your critics or jokes. I need a competent opinion on these three models I'm considering.

You do not get the idea...Sure I do not use all the equipment I have (but speaking frankly I always take one set with me anyway) but soon I'll be able financially and by the law to use those I was talking about. I don't need to listen to your critics or jokes. I need a competent opinion on these three models I'm considering.

The way you worded your question it sounded like you were asking for advice to choose equipment to perform an illegal activity. You should expect a negative response from the people here if that’s what you’re doing. If you have a purely legitimate and legal use for said equipment, I would clarify that point. Then you might get a better response. The people here pride themselves on fair chase. For most people, thermal scopes are not fair chase. Some people consider them acceptable for the eradication of nonnative species such as wild pigs where you’re not really hunting.

Going to hard pressed to get an answer to your question on this forum as it is a bit off the norm. Try one of the hog hunting sites, they use them a lot in TX

Hi everyone, hunting in Oregon for almost 8 years. I have tried some thermal scopes and one nightvision. While the thermal is superior there are some reasonably priced night vision scopes in the $500 range that I have been impressed with. But now the circumstances are such that I can afford much more than I could before. So I am about to buy a professional thermal binocular with at least 1500 ft range, rangefinder, video recording. And I'm considering three options Pulsar Accolade XQ38, N-Vision Optics Atlas, Pulsar Accolade XP50. What do you think?

Cpt.Flint, it's always on your preference, I think. There are a lot of situations where night vision scope can give you better results. And we would talk about the best manufacturers of night vision scopes, I would prefer to purchase a scope from AGM ( over there: https://www.agmglobalvision.com/ ), in a reason they definitely know how to produce the high-quality accessories, including thermal and night vision scopes.

Last edited:
I was just able to look at a friends Pulsar Accolade XP50 two days ago and was absolutely blown away by it. I was able to pick up a small bird in a pine tree at close to 100 yards. A lot depends on your use on deciding between NV vs thermal. Thermal has incredible detection but the NV would be better for ID'ing something at distance. If you go NV I would definitely add in a laser or IR light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back